Wolfenstein's Hardest Difficulty Will Make You Cry Blood

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Wolfenstein's Hardest Difficulty Will Make You Cry Blood

"I am Death Incarnate," the game's hardest difficulty setting and a reference to the original Wolfenstein 3D will not be for the weak of heart.

If there is one thing id software's early shooters were known for, it was the ability to turn the difficulty up to impossibly brutal levels. I'm sure every gamer worth his or her salt remembers struggling through Doom's "Nightmare" or Wolfenstein 3D's "I am Death Incarnate" difficulty settings. Andreas Ojerfors, Machine Games senior gameplay designer, says that Wolfenstein: The New Order will call back to these roots, as its hardest difficulty level will not be for the weak of heart.

"You will cry blood," he told Gamespot [http://au.gamespot.com/news/wolfenstein-dev-on-hardest-difficulty-you-will-cry-blood-6410557]. The "I Am Death Incarnate" difficulty option will return in The New Order, and Ojerfors says that contrary to games that are designed around the easy mode and then ramped up for the more difficult modes, The New Order was designed with advanced difficulty in mind.

"We want it to be a real, real challenge for people. This is not an easy game. Of course we have the five difficulty levels of the original Wolfenstein 3D, like everything from 'Daddy Can I Play?' to 'I Am Death Incarnate'. So you can turn it down or turn it up if you want to. But like the default, normal setting of the game, it's going to be a challenging experience."

One of the problems many gamers have with difficulty settings is when developers simply make the enemy "cheap" and "unfair," rather than more challenging. Ojerfors says this won't be the case with The New Order. "It's difficult, but it's always fair. You're never really cheated. It's always your fault if you die."

Wolfenstein: The New Order launches for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PC later this year. Bethesda's vice president of PR and marketing recently said that the game won't feature a tacked-on multiplayer mode [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125286-Bethesda-Explains-Missing-Multiplayer-in-Wolfenstein-New-Order] because the Machine Games wanted to focus on the singleplayer.

Source: Gamespot [http://au.gamespot.com/news/wolfenstein-dev-on-hardest-difficulty-you-will-cry-blood-6410557]

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
"I am Death Incrante"
Friendly spelling vigilante at your service.

OT:

Sounds nice. I'm glad the call for difficulty is moving away from just making the enemies bullet sponges.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Easton Dark said:
Steven Bogos said:
"I am Death Incrante"
Friendly spelling vigilante at your service.

OT:

Sounds nice. I'm glad the call for difficulty is moving away from just making the enemies bullet sponges.
Thanks for that! i've fixed it!

OT:

I'm with you 100%. I feel like so many games are built around the easy mode, and enemies just have more HP and auto-aim in the more difficult modes, making it impossible

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Death Incrante? Is he like the brother of Brain Crescente?

Good article, fix the initial Incrante to Incarnate and life will be sweet.

Oh and I am very much looking forward to this. If the technical aspects are perfect and the game proves to be entertaining, I'm in.

EDIT: Oh me and my many many many open tabs... the millions of minutes you've cost me already! Darn it!

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
But if it´s like every other modern shooter then it´s just going to be exremely annoying to play on the hardest setting. While Wolfenstein 3D and Doom (Ultra Violence, Nightmare seemed to be a bit of a joke) were a lot of fun on hard, because you actually stood a chance. But these days you can hardly avoid getting hit, so it just gets annoying because there are people with machine guns allaround you, while you desperately try to find cover...

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
"You will cry blood," he told Gamespot [http://au.gamespot.com/news/wolfenstein-dev-on-hardest-difficulty-you-will-cry-blood-6410557].
Good. I already urinate blood. I want to cry blood too.

I just hope this game actually ends up good though. The previous one seemed a bit too mediocre and generic for my liking. I also hope the difficulty isn't punishing, but rather challenging. That it's firm but fair rather than "LET ME GET MY BEAT STICK OUT AND HIT YOU OVER AND OVER". I tried to complete COD: World At War on the hardest difficulty. I pretty much failed because they kept throwing grenades at me. Which made me just feel irritated and bored rather than more on the edge of my seat.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
I'm starting to like this game more and more.

These days the only thing higher difficulty does i either give enemies more health, your bullets somehow can't shoot through a pack of warm butter or there seems to be just a endless chain of spawning enemies.

Wonder how they will do this.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I can't have much faith in this given it is coming to the 360 and PS3. No RAM for AI or open spaces. Damn why aren't these things dead yet?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Longstreet said:

These days the only thing higher difficulty does i either give enemies more health, your bullets somehow can't shoot through a pack of warm butter or there seems to be just a endless chain of spawning enemies.

im not going to lie i was really excited for this game... but i just watched some gameplay from E3 and my excitement quickly disolved

capcha Tea, earl gray, hot. your right Captain Picard would makes this game better

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
It's kind of interesting that we seem to starting off the next gen with a throwback to the old days gaming. I think I'll be getting this game eventually

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
if they do it like dark souls style "you lose if you're lame, (though bad guys changing direction mid air and a crappy shield cover area despite having autoaim turned on is crap) not because we cheated" style difficulty, then i'm all for it.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I'm wondering how hard this is going to be. I'm hoping for one hit deaths and if you die once you have to start the whole game again.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Noooooo........i dont want to turned into a crying huddled lump on the floor from replaying the same section for the hundreth time. :-( Especially if we are adding crying blood to the symptoms....will stain my carpet. lol

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
Darren716 said:
I'm wondering how hard this is going to be. I'm hoping for one hit deaths and if you die once you have to start the whole game again.
*sigh* no. Why? Because at the end of the day we play games to relax, we want a challenge because we require some form of stimulation, but if we're going to be mentally flagellated with no sense of accomplishment we may as well go back to work... At least then we get paid.

The reason i brought up dark souls earlier is because it's as easy or as hard as you want it to be, once you have figured out your characters strengths and the bad guys weaknesses you can work towards a fulfilling conclusion and a battle well fought, not because it was easy but because you earned it and became one with your warrior and the battle, not because you have muscle reflexes and eidetic memory of a mythical greek hero. Because if you require that in a game chances are you don't play them to enjoy them, they're simply another thing to overcome.

Vylox

May 3, 2013
Just what I need... to bleed from my tear ducts instead of mostly my pores and skin..

I remember this difficulty from the old wolfenstein games, and I didn't find it too challenging back then. I don't have high hopes for this.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
Dr. McD said:
Longstreet said:

Probably by using more unconventional enemies more often (not to say you're going to be fighting endless armies of heavies like that fucking part in Cod Blops), giving enemies more health (not turning them into bullet sponges though) and using different positioning for enemies (a sniper in a tower who isn't there on easier difficulties).
the only real natural way to make enemies harder (or easier) is AI, like on easy difficulty, making enemies likely to rush, forget to use cover or work in teams where as on hard they flank, use cover, use grenades to flush out prey, cover angles, but as well as making it organic, making them call out positions, unfocused cover fire as they switch positions, checking wrong angles first due to having to guess, bad guys remaining on alert instead of going back to all normal but being paranoid so making mistakes higher difficulty, less mistakes, cold guys (meaning both temperature and those caught by surprise) being slow to react or overcompensating. If they make it like this they could control difficulty easy, yet still make it rewarding. Combine that with solid code, ie no stupid collision detection, decent damage detection, AI that reacts realistically to sound, dismissing normal seeming, checking out abnormal seeming; and they could annihilate this game.