Wolverine's Robot Boxing Movie's Already Getting a Sequel

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Wolverine's Robot Boxing Movie's Already Getting a Sequel

Even though Real Steel isn't due out for another six months, Dreamworks believes in the movie so much that it's ordered a sequel.

Remember Real Steel? That movie that stars Hugh Jackman as a trainer/promoter in a world where only robots contend in boxing matches? Well, even though the film is due out in October and has yet to bet an actual trailer (so far, only the teaser shown here has been released), it turns out that a sequel's already in the works.

According to Deadline, the test screenings for the film have been incredibly strong, which has led to Dreamworks greenlighting the follow-up:

I'm told the studio has commissioned John Gatins, who scripted the first film, to start on the second installment. It's unusual to see that occur so early, but I can recall it happening when Warner Bros commissioned a Hangover sequel after early tests showed the movie was going to be a big hit. Development on the sequel's just getting under way, and deals will have to be made with Jackman and Levy.

If this is the first time you've heard about this movie, here's a quick summary: The film is based on the 1956 short story "Steel" by Richard Matheson (who also wrote I Am Legend). Basically, it's about an over-the-hill fighter who works as a trainer and starts to return to glory with a particularly powerful/skilled robot boxer under his wing.

Usually, when a movie does well enough with test audiences to get a sequel approved this far before its actual release date, it's a good sign about the film's quality. However, I'd settle for a full-length trailer with more robots.

Source: Deadline via <a href=http://screenrant.com/real-steel-2-sandy-110800/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScreenRant+%28Screen+Rant+-+TV+and+Movie+News%29>Screenrant

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Really? Rock `em Sock `em robots the movie?

How could this possibly end well?

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Wait....The Hangover was good?

Huh, a Rock 'em Sock 'em robots movie sounds ok, and I like Jackman, but let's not put the cart before the horse here fellas. Test audiences tend to be retarded/hand-picked by filmmakers, so I would take their reactions with a huge grain of salt.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Big deal, studios are always green-lighting sequels before movies actually come out nowadays. If the movie doesn't succeed, then the sequel will quietly die.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Wait...

A movie we know nothing about is getting a sequel?

They must be confident that theyve made a good movie.

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
Finally! A fighting robot movie that focuses on robots fighting!

*movie focuses mostly on hardships of trainer/promoter of robots; robots develop feelings*

...FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I'll find it hilariously delicious if the movie tanks.

Though I saw this movie before when I saw the episode of the Twilight Zone, and I just dont think you can stretch that for 2 hours. Transformers tried that, and look where it is.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Too bad they can't do what they did in the Twilight Zone with this. The robots look way to big and way too non-human for that to work.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Is that test audience hang picked by the studious/producers? I mean if i see an awesome robot movie with Wolverine ill fucking leak shit on the internet :D

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
viranimus said:
Really? Rock `em Sock `em robots the movie?

How could this possibly end well?
Exactly what I was thinking, but I was also thinking "Are they running out of ideas and are going to make kids toys into movies?" What's next, Hungry Hungry Hippos: The feature film?

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Yeah... I would be about 20 times more interested in this if it were an actual Rock'em Sock'em Robots movie, with no humans and nothing but robots fighting and perhaps making deals with crime organizations, taking robot steroids (electricity anyone?), and focusing on a lone, independent robot who has to overcome difficulties presented by a robot mafia boss who is going to force him to take a dive, but he will refuse to give up...
I need to write that script now!

Anyway, I expect that this movie will suck. It might surprise me, but it's always safest to be pessimistic about stuff like this.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
HARHARHAR! GET IT? REAL STEEL? Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots?!?! HA!

OT: Yeah this looks positively atrocious. Worse than transformers.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Mezmer said:
HARHARHAR! GET IT? REAL STEEL? Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots?!?! HA!

OT: Yeah this looks positively atrocious. Worse than transformers.
Unfortunately Transformers is the worst movie ever made. Manos: The Hands of Fate is a better movie.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
converging xtury
Recaptcha
K alright are these the sheep Movie Bob rages at for not agreeing with him.