Woman Buys Wooden iPad

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Quaxar said:
Probably etched out of an apple tree. So it's not even illegal!
Ya know, that may actually work. I can see the lawyer in front of my eyes now...

Lawyer: "Miss Herp Derp Im A Dumbass, did my client at any time actually say he was selling you the well known Apple iPad?"

Stupid *****: "Yes, he said..."

Lawyer: "No, he said he was selling the Apple iPad. Not that Apple iPad. His Apple iPad. An invention of his, carved out of Apple tree with an Apple etched onto the back, polished to brilliance and used as place to rest your coffee cup. I believe my client never specified he was selling the touchscreen device? Well, that settles it, I rest my case."

Stupid *****: "But..."

Judge: "Cleared of all charges,Miss Stupid *****, I am going to put you on probation for being a stupid *****. Case closed."
I lol'd

OP: I am surprised that they wouldn't just fill the box with enough weight to make people think it was an iPad.
I don't know who is more retarded in this situation; the guys who put effort into making the piece of wood look like an iPad, or the girl who didn't open her totally legit purchase, that she got in a McDonalds parking lot...
I wanna say the girl of course, but a simple "hey, this is a piece of wood, guys" would have redeemed Miss Herp Derp... a little bit =|

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
No she got a prototype of the new iPlank. 180 dollars for a product not yet on the market is a steal!

ghostrider409895

Mar 7, 2010
First reading this story, I am not sympathetic to the woman. I figure, if you are not intelligent enough to think it is odd for someone to sell a five hundred dollar item for less than two hundred you do not deserve to keep that money you spent. Maybe she can keep the piece of wood to remind her so she thinks before throwing away any amonunt of money again. At least then she received a valuable lesson from this - a 180 dollar value at that.

Now on the other hand, the con men did break the law by selling a wooden iPad and claiming it is the real deal. They gained money by selling a product to someone without telling them the truth of what they are buying. They decieved someone, and under the law that is considered fraud. Don't get me wrong however. I still think that woman should have known better than let herself be tricked like that, and if they men did not state that they were selling actual iPads and left the part of what the product was unclear I would argue that they had every right to take her money. Really it all comes down to this: con men are bad, but that 22 year old is d-u-m-b (that spells dumb, just in case the woman came to this site and did not know to connect the letters together).

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
The story in two words: "Seems legit"

Consumers have numerous laws and agencies that seek to protect them but they still need to be skeptical and protect themselves. The basic law of "its sound too good to be true, it probably is" still stands. That's sad, but people need to be wary of scam artists. Flim flam men still exist.

ghostrider409895

Mar 7, 2010
Torrasque said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Quaxar said:
Probably etched out of an apple tree. So it's not even illegal!
Ya know, that may actually work. I can see the lawyer in front of my eyes now...

Lawyer: "Miss Herp Derp Im A Dumbass, did my client at any time actually say he was selling you the well known Apple iPad?"

Stupid *****: "Yes, he said..."

Lawyer: "No, he said he was selling the Apple iPad. Not that Apple iPad. His Apple iPad. An invention of his, carved out of Apple tree with an Apple etched onto the back, polished to brilliance and used as place to rest your coffee cup. I believe my client never specified he was selling the touchscreen device? Well, that settles it, I rest my case."

Stupid *****: "But..."

Judge: "Cleared of all charges,Miss Stupid *****, I am going to put you on probation for being a stupid *****. Case closed."
I lol'd

OP: I am surprised that they wouldn't just fill the box with enough weight to make people think it was an iPad.
I don't know who is more retarded in this situation; the guys who put effort into making the piece of wood look like an iPad, or the girl who didn't open her totally legit purchase, that she got in a McDonalds parking lot...
I wanna say the girl of course, but a simple "hey, this is a piece of wood, guys" would have redeemed Miss Herp Derp... a little bit =|
That location of the sale was something that stuck right out at me. Of all the places to sell a phony piece of equipment, the two men chose a McDonalds parking lot. I could understand the mall, or near an electronics store, or down a dark ally, but I cannot wrap my head around why McDonalds seems like the best place to sell fake iPads. Maybe they think people who eat at McDonalds are stupid, which is not always true - though they did find that one woman there.

Really, I think these guys were just hungry, and one of them happened to have a wooden iPad on them (maybe he is into wood work). They ate a little, saw a woman as they were getting back in there vehichle, and decided to play a joke on her. They offered to sell her an iPad, she takes out 180 dollars, and they just take it - because if this person is so desparate to have an iPad that she doesn't think as to why two men are selling a 500 dollar device in a fast food parking lot who really gives a frak.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Greg Tito said:
I mean, who wants an overpriced novelty like the iPad anyway?
Who really wants a tablet PC in the first place? I mean, besides those who are obsessed with useless, overpriced pop-tech and/or "keeping up with the Jones'"?

They're nothing more than awkwardly expensive, shrunken laptops without keyboards and containing tech from six+ years ago with marginally better capabilities than most cell-phones.

But I digress. On the topic of the story, all I can say is I hope she learned her lesson. However, if you're dumb enough to be scammed into buying an expensive piece of tech, on the "cheap", from some guy in a McDonald's parking lot....

Yeah, you kinda deserve to lose your money.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
BloodRed Pixel said:
"I mean, who wants an overpriced novelty like the iPad anyway?"

Statements as such are why gamers and game reporters have the stench of immaturity, ignorance and overall not-social acceptable on them.
And I am SO SURE, all the witty Windork users NEVER did aynthing stupid.
You seem to be taking this whole thing a bit personally. Did you fall for the same scam too, in a fit of desperation to get a new iPad?

Or maybe you're secretly Steve Jobs in disguise! After all, he left Apple so I'm sure he has plenty of free time to troll around forums on the "interwebs".

Jacco

May 1, 2011
C'mon now guys. iPad's aren't that bad. I own one. As long as you know what you're doing, they can be useful to an asinine level. Seriously. I've all but replaced my laptop with my iPad and I do some pretty intensive stuff.

OT: She asked for that. It's not exactly rocket science that you should look at something before you lay money down for it.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
synobal said:
No she got a prototype of the new iPlank. 180 dollars for a product not yet on the market is a steal!
Then, the up and coming ear version, iChip, put it in your ear, and hear all the conversations that aren't going on.

Also, one for the recently broken legged, the iSplint, stick it on your leg and scroll down 10 notches of completely bleed proof web surfing.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Um... no one seems to be appreciating that it might have been in a box when she got it. She's still not that bright, but... no one deserves to be scammed.
Most mention the box and that she should have asked to see it before she bought it. No-one says she's too stupid to realize it was fake once she actually saw what she had purchased. Most just point out how suspicious it is when someone in a parking lot wants to sell her an iPad for more than 300 less than what it goes for in normal stores.

OT: I love the touch with the apple etched into the piece of wood. It's just there to annoy her and possibly get them a sentence for unlicensed use of a trademark.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
synobal said:
iPlank is awesome! You get to build house 40 times as pretentious as normal houses with it. Every time you enter it you get attacked by a cloud of smug. I'd say she got a great deal.

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
They carved an apple logo on it? Bloody me, there is a god. I know they're crooks/mean/ect, but that has got to be some of the most clever shit I've heard all week.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
180$ doesn't seem like an unreasonable fee for being taught something as important as: Being just a tad critical of strangers selling implausibly cheap hot button goods in parking lots is probably a good idea.

And I suppose she can always put it up for sale as "an artistic tribute linking the materials of the past with the trends of the future", and fool some other idiot into parting with tons of money. Make it pretentious enough, and somebody will - figuratively and literally - buy it.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Here's the thing that everyone's missed out.

The apple logo carved into it actually gives it a retail price of around $180.
They should really just get done for false advertising.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
As a life-long Apple user, owner of several Apple products, and friends with one of the iPad's designer, as well as being respectful of other people's choices in computers, phones, and other hardware?

My god, woman, you are stupid, you fell for an extremely old trick, and you deserved to get fooled like that. That's absolutely ridiculous. It's like falling for the old long-lost Nigerian prince cousin trick.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Um... no one seems to be appreciating that it might have been in a box when she got it. She's still not that bright, but... no one deserves to be scammed.
No-one deserves it, I agree, but she still let herself in for being scammed. If you do stupid things, then you find yourself in situations like this where you're out of pocket and have a lot of egg on your face.

If she was more careful and less air-headed, then perhaps she wouldn't have been so easily scammed.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Ahahahaha! Its so true. People without much life experience totally deserve to be robbed and taken advantage of!

Wait... no... thats not it. I guess im not a sociopath.

Sure she'll learn a lesson from it. But to say she deserved it? Come on. The same could apply to anyone who doesnt chain their wallet to their belt and gets pickpocketed, or all sorts of scenarios. Being dumb or naive doesnt make it ok to take advantage of someone. At best it makes it 'unsurprising', but thats not even remotely the same.

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008

She should have paid attention to this completely legitimate public service announcement.