Woman Buys Wooden iPad

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Woman Buys Wooden iPad

Never, ever, buy electronics from a dude in a parking lot.

Growing up in the suburbs, I remember the guys who'd drive around in white vans to mall parking lots and try to coerce people coming out that they have some really great speakers. The story always seemed too good to be true: they had all this inventory of $500 speakers that they were trying to unload fast before their boss found out. It sounded stupid then, just as should have sounded stupid to the woman who was tricked into laying down $180 for what she thought was an iPad in a McDonald's parking lot in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

Opening up the Fedex envelope after she had given away her cash and driven away, Ashley Mcdowell soon realized all she held was a black piece of wood etched with the notorious Apple logo. The 22-year-old called the police, and they are now looking for the two men who had told her that they bought iPads "in bulk."

Sure, a brand new iPad for $180 when they usually retail for more than $499 is quite a steal, but Mcdowell pretty much deserved what she got.

I mean, who wants an overpriced novelty like the iPad anyway?

Source: Channel 4 Indy News [http://www.theindychannel.com/technology/29039492/detail.html]

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Not funny being scammed...but seriously. She kinda deserved that.

She didn't think it sounded dodgy at all? Especially in the parking lot behind a Mcdonalds >.<

"I mean, who wants an overpriced novelty like the iPad anyway?"

Indeed when there are cheaper tablets then a overpriced tablet with apple logo.

Dec 14, 2009
I love that the scammer carved an Apple logo on the piece of wood.

Because that would totally throw her off the scent.

[sub]It probably does more than a real iPad anyway...[/sub]

Feb 13, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Opening up the Fedex envelope after she had given away her cash and driven away, Ashley Mcdowell soon realized all she held was a black piece of wood etched with the notorious Apple logo.
And it still got better reception.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
Buying goods without looking at them first?

She deserved it. Con men are assholes but she was on another level of stupid

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
In days of yore people ike this would have killed themselves somewhere before puberty... Health and safety has a lot to answer for.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
The wooden tablet should've had the apple logo carved into one side.....

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/Oathkeeper_Hikaru/TrollFace.png

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Twenty two year old, McDonalds parking-lot, and conspicuous man?

All the things add up. Although, she was pretty stupid for thinking she could get an iPad from a stranger for $180 dollars.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Ordinary people don't have FBI training and can be fooled easily. I can see greed clouding the judgement, but not even looking at the thing you are buy is just plain stupid.

She did not deserve being conned out of her money for being stupid; but being that stupid meant that she was asking for it.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
It turned out that the cops were also con men and they charged her for the "usual" $50 invenstigation fee.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Being given a Fedex package and then opening it to find that... why didn't she ask to see it first? Why did she want an iPad in the first place? Buy something decent like a Samsung Tablet.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Lol!

Don't buy counterfeit. Ever.
If you buy it, you are supporting TERRISM and CHINOOSE!

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Well they say half the price of an apple product is the logo. Looks like she just got the logo half of the product in this exchange.

She learned a valuable lesson for $180 as well. Always check the merchandise you are buying; especially if its from some random guy in a parking lot.