Woman Goes Into Labor at QuakeCon, Chooses Skyrim Demo Over Hospital

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
well uh...hope Atari has a great life haha

hopefully she doesn't bump into some kid at school named Nintendo

squidbuddy99

Jun 29, 2009
Atari? Really? You'd think she'd choose Dovakin, which is infinite times more awesome than Atari. It's like if someone went into labor while playing Super Mario Bros. and named their kid Sonic. Pick a game, lady!

Then again, that kid will have the most awesome mom in gaming history, so I guess it's a good trade-off.

"What's than honey? Want to play a family game? Okay, but this time I'm going with my Deadpool/Magneto/Wesker team!"

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:
Atari Lynn? They should've named her Beth(esda) DOVAHKIN/DRAGON-BORN! Lynn.
^ What he said.

Joking aside...wow,I'm really surprised at such news really.I mean I understand such fanboy'ism but when it comes to giving birth I think that's when you're supposed to draw the line.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Is it legal to name children after corporations?

I know IKEA isn't allowed in Sweden.

also holy shit those parents are geeks

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Well it's a little odd, but if you don't think of the game company, Atari Lynn sort of works.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
*facepalm*

Just call child care services now before this couple ends up with a dead Atari in a couple of months. Atari needs more attention than games.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
gewata said:
But then again, there's someone at my work whose wife went into labour and she dropped the sprog within about 20 minutes. I'm not saying thats common by any means but there is a lot of variation.
And if you are going to give your kid a weird name, at least make it a middle name so it can have a relatively normal school life.
Captcha esition 1846
"Drop the sprog", oh wow, that's real classy. Anyhow, I've lost count of the babies I've helped deliver, and trust me, no one goes into labor and delivers 20 minutes. I would've maybe tolerated 2 hours, but I certainly can't give you a pass on 20 minutes (especially in a "friend of a friend of a friend" story, sorry, but that sounds more like an urban legend that anything else). The first stage of childbirth alone can take about 3 to 5 hours, and it's generally accepted that labor for primiparae lasts about 8 hours, and 4 hours for multiparae.
I'm a 100% with you on the name, though. Can't be easy to grow up with a name like that...

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
It might have been a bit risky but calling it insane is an exaggeration. Labor doesn't mean that the child will come within minutes. In my mother?s case it took 2 days after she went into labor before I was born. Besides, I don't think that they waited very long, probably only a few minutes. I've heard that the dragon is at the end of the demo.
Also about the name, I personally think Atari doesn't sound that bad and not because I'm a gamer. And even if it sounds strange to many people, my name also sounds strange for the people in the country where I live because it's a foreign name. She can always say it's a foreign name or something like that. Actually, many young people like more "exotic" names, at least in my country. There is a certain name which is so normal and often used in my country that the kids at school use it as an insult because it's so normal and all children who have this "normal" name suffer more than most children which strange names. So a strange name doesn't always mean that the kid will get bullied, I just wouldn't tell everyone why the parents gave her that name.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_%28disambiguation%29

This is why you do not name your child Atari.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
If they had named the kid Dovahkin I'm sure they would have gotten something. There's just no way Bethesda couldn't look at that and say "11.11.11 be damned, you win."

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
People are saying some pretty nasty things about this couple. Some pretty ridiculous, nasty things.

"The pair originally thought that it might be a false labor, so decided to wait and see if the contractions continued, rather than leaving the demo immediately."

My sisters went through more then a few trips to the hospital with 'pre'-labors (or false, as some people like to use). When they finally did go into labor, they thought it was just another 'pre'-labor and didn't immediately take themselves to the hospital - because they couldn't tell if it would be just another useless trip. When the pains didn't stop after several minutes - they decided it was probably the real deal. Their 'waters' didn't even break until they had been in the hospital for a few hours. It's a more common occurrence then people like to think.

As for the name, I've heard worse.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Atari isn't a bad name. People name their child after stuff all the time, countries, animals, words, and so forth. Why is it so wrong to name it after a company if the people like what the company stands for/does and the way the name sounds? It may seem a bit strange, but its not without plenty of precedence.

The whole going into labor thing is also completely overblown. She thought it was false labor, and waited. The contractions probably weren't close together if she believed that. It also began during the demo, so by the time they actually figured it was labor the demo was likely almost already over. Staying a few minutes to see the event they came for in the first place is not child neglect. Was it a rational/good desicsion? Clearly no, but its hardly so horrible to call social services/pity the child for their now certain horrible life growing up unloved and uncared for by their game addicted parents.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Bethesda: "Stevi didn't want to go to hospital for Skyrim. What have YOU done for us lately?"

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I suppose I can think of worse game related names.

For those calling for neglect, my mom had to wait awhile from when labor started til I was born because some other lady was having triplets. Granted my mom got some medication to slow down the contractions temporarily but it is possible to wait once labor has started without any harm to the child.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
"Atari"? ... This is a human being, not some pet/toy/inanimate object. Freaking use a proper name, not a game Companies name.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Atari (???½?è), a Japanese word which means "warning", used in the game of Go

Hm. ATARI: This site will be plagued with 30000 adds for El Shaddai.

FishinaBarrel

Dec 14, 2009
Second to Eleima, if she just started with her first child she's probably got hours before even her doctor would tell her to go to the hospital (unless her water broke, but the story probably would have mentioned that). Our doctor told us to go for a walk or rent a movie to cut down on the anxiety.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Dammit people, it's not just Atari, it's Atari Lynn, like the Atari Lynx.
Geez...