Woman Goes Into Labor at QuakeCon, Chooses Skyrim Demo Over Hospital

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
That's pretty stupid, she should have gone to a hospital after she realized it was real and then watched the rest of the thing on the Internet.

Casual Shinji said:
I can tell she'll be an excellent mother.

*4 months later*

"Baby starves to death while mother's playing Skyrim."
I thought Skyrim was only 3 months away, though.

Capatcha: govelt Champions

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
..That is one damned devoted Elder Scrolls fan if I ever saw one.

Will the girl grow up into a dragonborn, I wonder?

surg3n

May 16, 2011
I don't see why they should compromise - really if they were religious, they might go through the same nonsense, calling their child a biblical name, giving birth in some religious environment, circumsising etc etc. I'd rather be called Atari than have my tackle sliced up.

I don't think they should be ashamed of it, it's an epic name and an epic birth. Why do gamers still think that games are something to be embarassed about! - we are our own worst enemies. Strange names are a lot more acceptable these days, your more likely to get made fun of because of a boring name.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Todd Howard is blamed for a lot of things, but I'd like to think this is a first :)

Weighing in on the name, I think it's silly, but no worse than Nevaeh.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
"that when she went into labor"
For what its worth, labour doesn't mean that the child is coming 'now' or that a woman has to go to hospital immediately. Its a bit wacky but its not really risky.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
"The couple got engaged on the stage at last year's QuakeCon, and planned to get married at this year's convention."

thats awesome. get engaged at QuakeCon, go into labor at QuakeCon, get married at QuakeCon. i really hope they named their kid after a character in one of id's games or something. it just seems fitting :p

also, for anyone who read that they chose Skyrim over going to the hospital and didnt bother reading into the rest of the story, they werent sure that she was actually going into labor. also, the frost dragon comes out near the end of the demo. i imagine they probably started heading to the hospital within 15 minutes or so. by the way, going into labor doesnt mean the baby is popping out at that very moment.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Coranico said:
Well there goes a missed opportunity to call a child who began birth at Quakecon Dovakhiin... Well there's always next year...
havent you heard about the bethesda competitoin for babys born the 11.11.11?

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Ghostwise said:
Poor kid......
Gotta say I agree. There's fandom and then there's fanaticism. RL > Games.
Seeing how she probably had a hour or two before it started to come out I don't see the rush...

Feb 13, 2008
kebab4you said:
Ghostwise said:
Poor kid......
Seeing how she probably had a hour or two before it started to come out I don't see the rush...
Ask your mum/dad. I'm sure they'll tell you what the rush was.
(That's not being rude by the way, just that they'll have far more experience)

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Perfectly reasonable, I would have done the exact same thing. I sure as hell wouldn't let some mere birth get in the way of the Skyrim demo!

Coranico

Jul 28, 2009
Patrick Young said:
Coranico said:
Well there goes a missed opportunity to call a child who began birth at Quakecon Dovakhiin... Well there's always next year...
havent you heard about the bethesda competitoin for babys born the 11.11.11?
Indeed i have, this article reminded me of it, which reminded me that Dovakhiin is an awesome name and should be bestowed on far more children than it currently is.

Wardi Boi

Aug 8, 2011
Wow...I guess there is absolutely no questioning how addicting and amazing Skyrim will be.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
kebab4you said:
Ghostwise said:
Poor kid......
Ask your mum/dad. I'm sure they'll tell you what the rush was.
(That's not being rude by the way, just that they'll have far more experience)
He was right, there is no rush. Labour doesn't mean "holy shit I'm going to drop!", its the start of a long, often very long process during which the woman is not in any significant danger or impairment outside of contractions especially at the start. Wacky, not desperate.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Now I can feel sorry for both Ataris.
Still and awesome story but i dont see why they didn't call her Beth.