Woman Goes Into Labor at QuakeCon, Chooses Skyrim Demo Over Hospital

Aug 17, 2010
To the nay-sayers who think Atari is a bad name, look at the last person to be named Atari:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Bigby

A goddamn Professional Football player.

This girl is probably going to be president.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
rossatdi said:
kebab4you said:
Ghostwise said:
Poor kid......
Gotta say I agree. There's fandom and then there's fanaticism. RL > Games.
Seeing how she probably had a hour or two before it started to come out I don't see the rush...
Ask your mum/dad. I'm sure they'll tell you what the rush was.
(That's not being rude by the way, just that they'll have far more experience)
He was right, there is no rush.
Root said:
I'd go immediately.
Without thinking of anything?
Without thinking of anything.
I bow to experience. Check with your folks. :)
My mum's general policy on child birth could be summarised as 'just cut the fucker out' - so not desperately trustworthy source!

The missus however is a bit of birthing buff so I asked her before posting - she's pretty confused it was a news story!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/pregnancy/pregnancy_labour.shtml

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
"QQ, the girls name is Atari."
"poor girl, she is named Atari"
"Stupid parent naming the girl Atari."
etc
etc.

Why do you guys care??? Her second name is Lynn and thats what she is most likely going to be called in her life.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
She must have caused a spate of hyperventilation and crying around her. Not sure nerds are very good at practical demonstrations on The Facts of Life.
I'm surprised she didn't call the kid Skyrim, though. Wasn't Bethesda offering some kind of reward for that? Anyway, hope she doesn't become another 'starved to death while parents pretended to be elves' statistic.

Dumb_Joe

Feb 3, 2011
It sometimes amazes that such idiotic people exist. How can you put a game demonstration before your childs birth. Like someone above me said poor kid.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
I can tell she'll be an excellent mother.

*4 months later*

"Baby starves to death while mother's playing Skyrim"
Or she'll just <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.241344-Woman-Blames-FarmVille-for-Killing-Her-Baby>smack her kid to shut it up so she can go back to playing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Torrasque said:
Casual Shinji said:

*4 months later*

Or she'll just <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.241344-Woman-Blames-FarmVille-for-Killing-Her-Baby>smack her kid to shut it up so she can go back to playing.
Or maybe she'll try to sell the baby to the blacksmith for a new piece of armor. Those Bethesda games can become engrossing, you know!?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Torrasque said:
Casual Shinji said:

*4 months later*

Or maybe she'll try to sell the baby to the blacksmith for a new piece of armor. Those Bethesda games can become engrossing, you know!?
Her: "What do you mean you're only giving me 63% what he's worth?! I have 86% with you! YOU LOVE ME!!!"
Blacksmith: "Sorry, I am a douchebag thst never goes over 63%, like that ***** blacksmith in the merchant's quarter"
Ahhhh... So bad xD

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Well, medical, that is safe, so yeah.
Mind wise though, HOLY SHIT FUCK DA' GODS! That is some crazy SHIT right there!

Also, Atari is a KICK ASS name, I was planning to name my kid after Freeman or, for all I care, if its a chick, then Chell... Why Chell, because shes just Gell man. =3

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Wow, it's getting judgemental and douchey up in here. Come on guys, in 1997 my mom sat through a church mass while in labour (most awkward moment of my life) and gave birth to my brother a couple hours later. She's not a poor parent in any way. This DOES NOT mean that she will be a bad parent, and jumping to that conclusion just shows a certain degree of small-mindedness.

Venereus

May 9, 2010
Blind Sight said:
Wow, it's getting judgemental and douchey up in here. Come on guys, in 1997 my mom sat through a church mass while in labour (most awkward moment of my life) and gave birth to my brother a couple hours later. She's not a poor parent in any way. This DOES NOT mean that she will be a bad parent, and jumping to that conclusion just shows a certain degree of small-mindedness.
Tell me you didn't just compare holy video gaming with delusional religion, on The Escapist! What is wrong with you?

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Venereus said:
Blind Sight said:
Tell me you didn't just compare holy video gaming with delusional religion, on The Escapist! What is wrong with you?
According to some of the people on this thread my mom was a shitty parent haha.

danirax

Jan 11, 2011
god damt why people are so stupid....?
and why people are surprised that games being blamed for being a bad influence and pushing people to commit massacre after people do stupid things like that?

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
I'm surprised they didn't call her Bethesda. At least that is a feminine name and she can adopt the more common "Beth" nickname when she gets older if she so chose.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
More like an hardcore idiot, why are we glorying such reckless stupidity again ?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Wieke said:
Well, she got me beat on the skyrim fandom scale.

Wait a sec, Atari?!?!

On second thought, if it didn't have the inherent geekyness that comes with being a name of a gaming company, it might have been a cool name.
Not only Atari, but her second name (last name?) is Lynn, as in Atari Lynx.

OT: Wow, that must've been quite extreme for the couple, giving birth while watching Skyrim.