Woman Loves Science, Astounds Facebook

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Woman Loves Science, Astounds Facebook

"Is this 2013?" Andrew asks, as she dips a toe into the Twitterverse.

If you have a Facebook account, odds are you've seen I Fucking Love Science at some point, either because you went looking for it or because someone on your Friends list posted one of its many thought-provoking messages [https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=568983279789354&set=a.456449604376056.98921.367116489976035&type=1&theater]. Its owner and administrator, Elise Andrew, recently decided that Twitter was the place to be, so she opened up an account, posted a few Tweets, and then told her Facebook followers about said Twitter profile. Which has become a thing, because up until a few short hours ago, many of I Fucking Love Science's followers were unaware that Andrews was a she.

Mayhem ensued, as minds were blown. "EVERY COMMENT on that thread is about how shocking it is that I'm a woman!" Andrew Tweeted [https://twitter.com/Elise_Andrew/status/314408543363145728]. "Is this really 2013?" It's not as though Andrew kept her identity under wraps; she's talked about herself in many other interviews. The data just hadn't trickled down to Facebook.

Andrew has said she's astonished by some of the Facebook comments, but it's unlikely that the woman who fucking loves here [https://twitter.com/Elise_Andrew/status/314407824476221442].

Source: Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/IFeakingLoveScience]

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Are many people actually surprised that this surprised many people?

Hopefully they get over it, though, and it doesn't devolve into rape threats and so on.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
thaluikhain said:
Hopefully they get over it, though, and it doesn't devolve into rape threats and so on.
You just had to jinx it didn't you?
Ummm...here's hoping it doesn't lead to wide-ranging societal improvements?

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Ill point it out, but not only is she a female shes also a fairly attractive one at that - even more astounding!

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
It's depressing that this matters in any way shape or form. The fact that things like this are still 'issues' is really quite disappointing.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I wonder what Maddox has to say about this, after he bashed [http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=youre_not_a_nerd] that Facebook group not too long ago.

Probably something along the lines of "Well that explains a lot".

Blarg, this is just getting depressing.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Isn't it more likely that the name 'Andrew' is a boy name and so the assumption that Andrews is male a natural one to make?

I'd always assumed the page was run by multiple people. More surprised that it's controlled by one person than that it's a woman.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Thank you again Internet for reminding me of the collective stupidity of people. I don't know what's worst, that some people thought she was a male, that some people were shocked she wasn't a male or that people felt they had to post their shock that she was not a male.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
This just in, there are also people surprised that there are men who like My Little Pony.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I'm more surprised that this annoying group still doesn't realize that half the shit they spam people's walls with has nothing to do with science. The closest they ever get is by spamming me with ages old XKCD comics. I actually removed a friend from my friends list recently because I was sick of her spamming links to images from the page because I couldn't figure out how to filter out those posts.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
luvd1 said:
Thank you again Internet for reminding me of the collective stupidity of people. I don't know what's worst, that some people thought she was a male, that some people were shocked she wasn't a male or that people felt they had to post their shock that she was not a male.
And if Yahtzee told everyone he is actually a lady people would not be shocked at all right?
If you use a name that is predominantly used by one gender people will take that as a given, and if their reality gets shattered down the line they might be a little shocked by it.

But hey when the sexism flamewars need fuel might as well chuck it on the pile.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
DVS BSTrD said:
Think of how many more women scientists there would be if it weren't for dong jokes! :(
Please don't bring that up again.
Ukomba said:
This just in, there are also people surprised that there are men who like My Little Pony.
Really? What kind of weirdo would do that? :p

I am slightly dissapointed that the Science Cake was just a cake with science written on it.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
You know, when I read the title of this news article, I was sure that the escapist had fallen for an article on the onion. But alas, no, facebook is just being dumb as per usual.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Too bad that page kinda like...sucks. A lot. For reference, see the Maddox post about. Kinda nails it.

Edit: Why is this even 'news' though? Because sexism is a prevalent discussion these days and this will get page views? This just isn't newsworthy in any way, shape or form.