Woman Missing Some Brain, Is Totally Fearless As a Result

Dr.Nick

Mar 26, 2009
FexusMaximus said:
Dr.Nick said:
Excellent! Just one more step towards becoming a Space Marine
Exactly what I was thinking. We have progress!
Thought like others have said, this is not fully the best thing for self-preservation...
Who cares about self-preservation when we can throw our lives away for the God-Emperor!

DarkKnightBob

Jul 15, 2010
Evilsanta said:
That is quite cool. Though it would seem that it could get you killed very fast.
This is why the fear instinct exists in the first place. To keep you alive!!!

Evolution balances it out for a given environment. Hence some people have a bit less or a bit more than others.

Having literally NO fear has no real benefit because this woman would happily walk up to a lion unless she actively stopped herself whereas we would instinctively have learnt to keep the fuck away from that shit.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Reminds me of that scene in the Star Trek movie 'First Contact' when Data turns off his emotion chip under advisement from Picard as they slowly make their way through Borg-infested decks of the Enterprise.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
problem with losing fear is you may lose "self-preservation" instincts. This woman is likely to get herself killed if alone.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
Losing fear doesn't mean that you lose the ability to recognize danger. You lose fear, but that doesn't mean you lose all of your emotions, ability to feel pain, and sense of danger. But in this woman's case that might be so. Walking up to some drugged up stranger alone in the dark at night? Not a very smart thing to do.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
This woman can do great things. Really great things.

Of course, being completely fearless has its many downsides, but still, to live without fear can be a great skill at the same time.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
Right, I'm gonna be the one to say it....

Learn karate and become a superhero.
I know that's what I'd do. After all, we have nothing to fear except fear itself, right?

Besides death...and pain...and another M. Night Shymalon movie...regardless, I'd still do it.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
People don't seam to understand that we fear things for a reason. The flight or fight reaction that is designed to save a person's life is useless without fear. So when that guy is running at you, your brain won't be scream "FOR #^&# SAKE RUN!" and instead say, "Hay, I think that knife is shiny."

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
sounds like a dangerous trait to lack, without fear you can easily get yourself hurt, or worse.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Meh. She hasn't found anything worth fearing for, does not entail that she doesn't have fear.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
People don't seam to understand that we fear things for a reason. The flight or fight reaction that is designed to save a person's life is useless without fear. So when that guy is running at you, your brain won't be scream "FOR #^&# SAKE RUN!" and instead say, "Hay, I think that knife is shiny."
Granted, a fearless person might continue that thought with, "I think I'll take it from him."

Combine fearlessness with combat training, and you have someone who won't be afraid to fight whatever threatens them. Frankly, I'd love it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
"Put your hand, in the box."

Fuckin Kyle MacLachlan and his silly sand adventures.

Sicram

Mar 17, 2010
archvile93 said:
Why is it that fearless always seems to go hand in hand with stupidity? Why can't we not fear, but still avoid dangerous situations by realizing the danger through logic instead of emotion, like in Dune?
^This. Knowing that something is harmful shouldn't be an issue even if you can't feel fear. Then again she might be totally indifferent about her life.