Woman Pepper-Sprays Fellow Shoppers for Videogames

Islet Battle

Aug 14, 2011
This reminds me of the anime "Ben-To", where getting a half priced meal is almost a fight to the death.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
And this is why I refuse to go anywhere on Black Friday.

TimeLord said:
I had to laugh at this. However, the flip side of the coin is that the title of this could have been;

"Woman Trampled to Death By Fellow Shoppers For Videogames"

And that's a hell of a lot worse than pepper spraying someone.
The flip side of the coin is that you should try reading the entire article and not just the headline. She was in no danger, she was just doing it to get better access to the deals.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
Stuff like this doesn't happen at Target. I was there picking up a few things early this morning, and I've never seen a nicer bunch of people. My advice? Don't go to fucking Wal-Mart, their Black Friday has ALWAYS sucked.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
There were 1000 stores that had early release rushes. You only hear about the worse, you don't hear about the 99% that had no incidents. It is the media, including The Escapist that makes this look bad.

By the way, this is not the only incident with pepper spray and store that happen today. It only makes the news because it happen in LA.

Shame on you The Escapist.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
esperandote said:
It should be black weekend that way people would spread out
A whole weekend ?!?!? Christ we already have the entire month of Febuary and now you want to give us another additional weekend in November?!?!? I mean I'll take it (it's not quite 40 acres and mule but it's a start) but can we call it something besides "Black Weekend"? Maybe National Hug A Negro weekend. Yeah I like hugs. Also the term black is offensive we prefer African American now. . . . . . oooooh that's not what you mean by black weekend . . . . well gee this is surely embarrassing. Forget I said anything.

OT: Most Black Friday "deals" can be easily found online with a small amount of searching so I fail to see the need to go trample small children and frail women (well maybe for sport) just to save 20 bucks on a television.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
maddawg IAJI said:
*Sigh* Why would you be? We're not the only country that has a 'holiday' (And I use the term loosely since its not recognized by any branch of the Governments within in the country.)dedicated to shopping.

Black Friday isn't an actual holiday and its no different from say Boxing Day. Its just a day that sees a lot of money being spent on commercial goods and marks the beginning of the Christmas season. We don't dedicate anything to Black Friday and up until recently, it wasn't even the most popular day to shop on.
Basically. I guess generalizing is okay, as long as we're at the butt of it or something.

Islet Battle said:
This reminds me of the anime "Ben-To", where getting a half priced meal is almost a fight to the death.
Nah, those guys have rules and stuff, and fight for honor (and hunger). This was simply just a brief moment of insanity XD

Baldr said:
There were 1000 stores that had early release rushes. You only hear about the worse, you don't hear about the 99% that had no incidents. It is the media, including The Escapist that makes this look bad.

By the way, this is not the only incident with pepper spray and store that happen today. It only makes the news because it happen in LA.

Truer words have seldom been spoken, though it's less about it happenening in LA and more about it happening on Black Friday. Had it happened on any other day, this wouldn't have even made LOCAL news.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Baldr said:

Yeah, and you never heard about the billions of people I DIDN'T murder!

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
"Unidentified" Las Angeles Branch of Wal-Mart? I think you just did indentify it, how many Wal-Marts can there possibly be in one place?(!)

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
A couple of fights broke out at the Wal-Mart I work at. Something about Power Wheels (we had PLENTY) and another people were wrestling on the floor over a video game.

unfortunately, It wasn't anywhere near where I was working so I didn't get to see the bloodshed.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
This is why we shouldn't give people too many nice things, they get territorial.

If we were in a de-centralised freeholder society, not a consumer society this wouldn't happen.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
There were multiple incidents over black Friday and Walmart, starting Thursday night (early Friday morning). Walmart recently decided that opening the stores at the dead of night would lessen the impact of mob-mentality shoppers. Instead it resulted in a whole slew of stuff, including robberies (since it was the damned middle of the night).

Not only the pepperspray incident, there was another when a woman (and her kids) got angry at prices in a Walmart nail salon and started beating the crap out of people. A store rush that resulted in around 10 injured people. A fight between two guys at a jewelry counter over some item, etc. This has to be a very prolific year for violence.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/11/black-friday-walmart-violence.html - one of many sources you can find on google.

http://www.freep.com/article/20111125/FEATURES13/111125011/1216/FEATURES/Black-Friday-turns-violent-9-U-S-Walmart-stores-least-24-people-injured - another source

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
My aunt (who works there) was there when it happened. It was a porter Ranch Walmart. During the scuffle, a small girl was caught under a cardboard box. While she was trying to escape from under the box, they trampled her. My aunt had to go in and save her. She got a thank you from the mother, but no actual reward from Walmart.
I'm confused. Why would Wal-mart offer a reward?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
sleeky01 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
My aunt (who works there) was there when it happened. It was a porter Ranch Walmart. During the scuffle, a small girl was caught under a cardboard box. While she was trying to escape from under the box, they trampled her. My aunt had to go in and save her. She got a thank you from the mother, but no actual reward from Walmart.
For going beyond the call of duty, and, rather than quakeing in her boots, chose to perform the unreal action of descenting into the tribes of shoppers, a veritable battlefield, to save a young girl from certain doom, rather than letting her be left for dead?

Would that every worker had said aunt's work ethic. I couldn't think of a good way to slip in Half-life or Medal of Honor which wasn't way too obvious

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Amnestic said:
sleeky01 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
For going beyond the call of duty, and, rather than quakeing in her boots, chose to perform the unreal action of descenting into the tribes of shoppers, a veritable battlefield, to save a young girl from certain doom, rather than letting her be left for dead?

Would that every worker had said aunt's work ethic. I couldn't think of a good way to slip in Half-life or Medal of Honor which wasn't way too obvious
Ohhh I see what you did.

Shall we offer her the Victoria Cross as well or just start early and canonize her for Sainthood?

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Do they call it Black Friday because crazy/horrible things like this happen every year?
Just doesn't sound like a very "happy" name, that's all...

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Jezzascmezza said:
Do they call it Black Friday because crazy/horrible things like this happen every year?
Just doesn't sound like a very "happy" name, that's all...
No, they call it Black Friday because the sale surge pushed retailers into the Black(meaning earning profit on the year) as opposed to being in the Red(losing profit on the year).