Woman Pepper-Sprays Fellow Shoppers for Videogames

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Nah, ah, ah. Football. Don't call it the other thing or you get virtually stabbed. =S

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
What a horrible thing to do! If not for the fact that I had to work today, I'd certainly have stayed indoors.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Thought 1: So if getting pepper sprayed in a protest is a tragedy, is getting pepper sprayed in a Walmart a statistic?

Thought 2: Getting pepper sprayed for some video games, bah! In my day we would beat each other with bats just the get the other arm of a cabbage patch doll. And we liked it, we loved it!

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I stayed home all day playing Gran Turismo 5 (damn 24 hour races, 24 hours is much longer than it seems). If I had gone out, I would not have left home without my chainmail and my axe.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I just got off my shift for Walmart Black friday sale, and I'm safe. Although I live in Canada, people are generally nicer.
[sub] I'm well aware that people are jerks everywhere. I'm just poking fun at an American stereotype[/sub]

On a side note, are people seriously this crazy? Are we SO materialistic that we have to cause bodily harm to our fellow man for a video game? Not just that, cause bodily harm to our fellow man to be the one to PAY for something. Am I the only one who thinks that's fucking bonkers? Now if it were free, I'd expect some confrontation. But who's that crazy about SPENDING their money?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
my initial reaction to just the title

"LOCK HER THE FUCK UP!!"

my thoughts after reading

"spray her with pepper spray THEN lock her ass up"

there's no excuse she cause use to justify pepper spraying someone OVER A VIDEO GAME, hope they throw the book at her

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Fuck am I ever glad I'm Canadian. None of that shit here, especially since our Thanksgiving is in October. You know, a reasonable length of time away from Christmas x:

Although it doesn't stop some companies up here trying to do the whole black friday thing... (fffuuuu-).

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
solemnwar said:
Fuck am I ever glad I'm Canadian. None of that shit here, especially since our Thanksgiving is in October. You know, a reasonable length of time away from Christmas x:

Although it doesn't stop some companies up here trying to do the whole black friday thing... (fffuuuu-).
Hey man, I work in the Electronics department of Walmart, and I just got back from my closing shift. So yeah, they're trying to bring it here and people are still nuts.

We had some TVs on sale that sold out at 8 in the morning. Guy comes in at 8 in the evening asking for it. When we tell him we were sold out, he freaked and said "Did you guys have enough? One walmart only had 45". ONLY 45?! We had 50 of those Tv's. 50! That's a lot of damn TVs! How the hell is that NOT enough?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Amnestic said:
I refuse to pass judgement until I find out what video games she was after.
I found this out first from my mom. Whatever article she read said that the woman was after one of the 360 console holiday deals, and also ended up escaping in all the uproar.

Since she escaped, obviously didn't get what she wanted. That's good, but pointless.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
We had some TVs on sale that sold out at 8 in the morning. Guy comes in at 8 in the evening asking for it. When we tell him we were sold out, he freaked and said "Did you guys have enough? One walmart only had 45". ONLY 45?! We had 50 of those Tv's. 50! That's a lot of damn TVs! How the hell is that NOT enough?
Obviously the guy thinks that Wal-Mart should plan to have enough TVs for every person that lives in the area, just in case every single person decides to get one.

Or maybe he thought that all Wal-Marts have little elves in a back room that construct anything a customer wants. I know my Wal-Mart has that. =P

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
I remember this story. I was in line at Best Buy today (waiting for like an hour) to the register, and I overheard the guys behind me talking about this. A few children were pepper sprayed as well apparently. This happens every year, whether its people being trampled, fights, or even this. Who knows, things might get worse in years to come.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
Obviously the guy thinks that Wal-Mart should plan to have enough TVs for every person that lives in the area, just in case every single person decides to get one.

Or maybe he thought that all Wal-Marts have little elves in a back room that construct anything a customer wants. I know my Wal-Mart has that. =P
Regardless of what he believed, it's mind boggling. You can probably imagine how much space 50 large screen TV's take up, and as such saying "only" 45 is like.......what?!

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Regardless of what he believed, it's mind boggling. You can probably imagine how much space 50 large screen TV's take up, and as such saying "only" 45 is like.......what?!
Well then, you guys should think about getting some of those little elves. They take up far less space than 50 TVs. They're magic, so they can make a TV for your customers in a couple minutes. =P

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
Well then, you guys should think about getting some of those little elves. They take up far less space than 50 TVs. They're magic, so they can make a TV for your customers in a couple minutes. =P
Fuck that, I'm not losing wage to a keebler elf. Damn pointy eared bastards.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Fuck that, I'm not losing wage to a keebler elf. Damn pointy eared bastards.

Don't worry, these elves may be magical, but they are rather stupid when it comes to selling and managing retail. Your job is safe.

To bad I can't make money as a salesman selling elves, but then I would have to deal with PETE(People for the Ethical Treatment of Elves).

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Lucky I didn't have my Nunchucks or S**t would have gotten F**ked up! (Just kidding)

Some people just take this stuff waaaaaaay too serious on days like this. The irony is that many stores actually mark UP their products, just so that they can slap on discount stickers (My boss made us do that whenever new products came in around certain times. We'd spend the whole day in the stock room slapping on $10 tags on $5 goods, then another guy would come and put a discount sticker of $5 over the ones we just put on. It's funny how many people actually fall for that kinda thing, and it's TOTALLY legal to do).

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
mjc0961 said:
And this is why I refuse to go anywhere on Black Friday.

TimeLord said:
I had to laugh at this. However, the flip side of the coin is that the title of this could have been;

"Woman Trampled to Death By Fellow Shoppers For Videogames"

And that's a hell of a lot worse than pepper spraying someone.
The flip side of the coin is that you should try reading the entire article and not just the headline. She was in no danger, she was just doing it to get better access to the deals.
Please not the use of the words "could have been" not "she was going to die so she had no choice"

My point was that if there had been a danger and someone was trampled to death then I'm sure there would have been comments saying something like "Next time use pepper spray to defend yourself when hunting for bargains"

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
..To be fair to the woman, pepper spraying customers is strangely one of the least lethal/irritating methods used by shoppers on Black Friday to get what they want - and make it out of the store in one piece, of course.

Walmart must have something in the air..