Woman robs man on side of road, Two "samaritans" help her because she's a woman

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Cowpoo said:
Boudica said:
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
They assumed he was the attacker and held him down because of it, don't try and avoid that.
Because men are up to ten times more likely to commit violent crime than women.

If you know nothing about a situation, but see one party, a group ten times more likely to be at fault than the other, and a second, much less likely to do the same, which do you side with in the heat of the moment?

Men are more violent than woman. Fact ;)
We should arrest every Arab at the airport, because they're 50x more likely to commit acts of terrorism?

Well now, by that logic: women are infinitely more likely to get pregnant than men.

Let's just give all high-paying jobs to men, they won't get pregnant and lose the company time and money?

And caucasians tend to be better educated than African Americans, so let's give the caucasians the job?

So, let's give all high-paying jobs to caucasian men?

And since women are so much more likely to get pregnant, let's not bother with providing them with education at all, afterall what good will it do, once they have children?

Fun-fact: Sexism is wrong, no-matter how you spin it.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Erana said:
The article said that the man did cause it. At least, the part where they were in a physical tussle.
If the woman hadn't robbed him there wouldn't have been a need for a tussle so she is the one who caused it. That said I am not going to judge the mototrists for seeing a person attack another and assuming the assailant was the robber, they're only human after all, but maybe in the future they should try and pull them apart and hear both sides of the story before they jump to conclusions.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Erana said:
Eri said:
I dunno what else to say really, this all happened because they were being sexist towards men.
How do you know this?

Both sources in that link state that it appeared that the man was assaulting the woman. I mean, it says, "The victim said he tried to prevent his assailant from leaving the area, engaging her in a physical struggle" so the robbery victim was the person who initiated the physical encounter. What on Earth would have clued them into the fact that the person they saw attacking the other was actually a robbery victim?

Can you not jump to conclusions about sexism and give the well-intending accomplices for stepping into what looked like assault? I feel bad for them; they were just trying to help stop apparent assault, and now strangers on the internet are assuming that they're horrible sexist people who only intervened for glory.

I mean, what if they had walked into something that wasn't a robbery? What if this same gumption had saved a woman from being kidnapped or raped or something? Would they still be terrible, sexist people then?
I'm going to repeat this, and then say that there have been way, way, waaaaay too many "omg feminism sucks" vs. "omg men are horrible people" threads in this site recently.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
razer17 said:
I'm sorry, you see a struggle and, from how it's described in the article (and that's all we have to go by) the man initiated the physical struggle. Now, this would, if you happened to walk along at that exact moment, look like the man was robbing the woman.

People in that situation wouldn' stop and start asking questions,you just wouldn't. You'd grab the drunk dude and let the girl escape. If you saw the same thing but the woman initiated, you wouldn't ask questions, you'd grab her. If it was two men, you would grab the one that looked like they initiated it.
Wrong.

As someone who has been involved in stopping MANY night-life fights in my life (including fights based on thivery), that is NOT how you do it. You seperate them and try to talk to them. You don't just jump one, unless you figure out that he (or she) is totally uncontrollably violent and needs to be put the the ground immediately. Period.

And above all else, you certainly don't let anyone escape the scene, unless you are physically unable to keep them there (in which case, you should attempt following them and alert the police of where they are going).

While we don't know all the details, i have a VERY hard time believing that the two people who interfered were unable to seperate them and had to jump the man both of them. I don't exactly think the man was a muscular powerhouse (and if he was, i find it unlikely that a woman would be stupid enough to attempt robbing him).

While i applaud them for at least interfering rather than ignoring what was going on (which most people do), they handled it absolutely incorrectly.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Cowpoo said:
Calibanbutcher said:
Cowpoo said:
Boudica said:
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
They assumed he was the attacker and held him down because of it, don't try and avoid that.
Because men are up to ten times more likely to commit violent crime than women.

If you know nothing about a situation, but see one party, a group ten times more likely to be at fault than the other, and a second, much less likely to do the same, which do you side with in the heat of the moment?

Men are more violent than woman. Fact ;)
We should arrest every Arab at the airport, because they're 50x more likely to commit acts of terrorism?

Well now, by that logic: women are infinitely more likely to get pregnant than men.

Let's just give all high-paying jobs to men, they won't get pregnant and lose the company time and money?

And caucasians tend to be better educated than African Americans, so let's give the caucasians the job?

So, let's give all high-paying jobs to caucasian men?

And since women are so much more likely to get pregnant, let's not bother with providing them with education at all, afterall what good will it do, once they have children?

Fun-fact: Sexism is wrong, no-matter how you spin it.
Was I saying it's right?
I meant to support your point.
Sorry if that wasn't clear...

Luciella

May 3, 2011
Ug this again, seriously?
Im not sure what to think of it. Looks like men´s hurt pride or men wanted to be treated like ladies...
Its funny in fact that now western world women are becoming more like men and men becoming more like women.
About sexism, well seriously, about 10,000 years of human culture existence minus the last 50-60 years, women were treated like something of less worth than a fucking horse.
Now women have and only in the western world similar rights than men, and now men just whine they are ohhh so discriminated! always!!!
Well ill be dammed.

Nov 28, 2007
On thinking further, I think one thing should be pointed out. The motorists were a man and a woman. Just two people. We don't know how strong they were.

Now, they have a situation. Another man and a woman are in a struggle. What do you do? Break them up and neutralize the greatest threat from your understanding of the situation. And unless the woman was Chynna, I'm pretty sure the male was perceived as a bigger physical threat than the woman, which is why he was restrained.

That, and trying to restrain a woman, as a male, has certain...issues if they struggle. Especially if the female motorist with you was with you, if you catch my drift. I'm not saying it was an intentional thing. But on the guy's part, I'm thinking that at least subconsciously, he didn't really want to grab a female in front of his (possibly) significant other.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
JochemHippie said:
Would've done the same thing myself probably.

It's just the most likely scenario.
Personally, I'd knock them both out and wait for the police to show up. When they would arrive, I would say they did it to each other.

In reality, there was a camera there and I couldn't do such a thing. In the end, I don't really think there was anyway to gauge the situation and react appropriately with the time the other people had and with their lack of knowledge of what was going on.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
It seems like the men who were rushing to save a "damsel in distress" were probably not witness to the entire act and although they probably could have acted with slightly more grace, possibly by separating the 2 and asking them what was going on, it doesn't seem fair to blame or antagonize them.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
This might be *slightly* off topic, but what the hell is with the obscene number of people on this forum who just automatically deny every example of sexism against men? It seems to me like every time a male is discriminated against for being male, a hundred people immediately pounce in and loudly pretend that it isn't discrimination or that "men have it so much better" (usually whilst simultaneously accusing the other side of saying the same thing).

If you're one of those people, I have a newsflash for you: NO ONE IS CLAIMING THAT WOMEN AREN'T DISCRIMINATED AGAINST. NO ONE IS DENYING THAT WOMEN WERE SECOND-CLASS CITIZENS FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. NO ONE IS PRETENDING THAT WOMEN DON'T HAVE IT FAR WORSE IN MOST THIRD-WORLD COUNTRIES.

However, the FACT of the matter is that there is a lot of discrimination against men in first world nations, to the point that discrimination against the sexes has become roughly equal. Men certainly don't have it any better in modern, western nations, don't pretend that we do. For every example of discrimination against women you could possibly cite, I could cite an equivalent against men.

[/rant]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Dense_Electric said:
This might be *slightly* off topic, but what the hell is with the obscene number of people on this forum who just automatically deny every example of sexism against men? It seems to me like every time a male is discriminated against for being male, a hundred people immediately pounce in and loudly pretend that it isn't discrimination or that "men have it so much better" (usually whilst simultaneously accusing the other side of saying the same thing).

If you're one of those people, I have a newsflash for you: NO ONE IS CLAIMING THAT WOMEN AREN'T DISCRIMINATED AGAINST. NO ONE IS DENYING THAT WOMEN WERE SECOND-CLASS CITIZENS FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. NO ONE IS PRETENDING THAT WOMEN DON'T HAVE IT FAR WORSE IN MOST THIRD-WORLD COUNTRIES.

However, the FACT of the matter is that there is a lot of discrimination against men in first world nations, to the point that discrimination against the sexes has become roughly equal. Men certainly don't have it any better in modern, western nations, don't pretend that we do. For every example of discrimination against women you could possibly cite, I could cite an equivalent against men.

[/rant]
THANK YOU! Amusingly enough a decent bit of those posts come from men as well.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Blablahb said:
Pyramid Head said:
Um... who started WHAT? It looked like a man was assaulting someone who was trying to flee, not an open fist fight. If you want to argue anti-male discrimination you need to find a better article, this happened very fast and it looked like the victim was the aggressor.
Then still, if the woman runs off while holding the thing the two were fighting over, something's not right. At that point they should've realised their mistake.
Except at first they didn't know they were fighting over something, and they actually did let the guy go because he did try to pursue the thief.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Dense_Electric said:

[/rant]
All i have to say to that is BULL FUCKING SHIT! Women are still paid less than men, discriminated against far FAR more than men, and there is still a real problem with sexism in this country. Yes there is some anti male bias on occasion, but that allegation that it is on par with what women face even in developed nations is absurd at best and horribly ignorant at worst.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Athinira said:
razer17 said:
I'm sorry, you see a struggle and, from how it's described in the article (and that's all we have to go by) the man initiated the physical struggle. Now, this would, if you happened to walk along at that exact moment, look like the man was robbing the woman.

People in that situation wouldn' stop and start asking questions,you just wouldn't. You'd grab the drunk dude and let the girl escape. If you saw the same thing but the woman initiated, you wouldn't ask questions, you'd grab her. If it was two men, you would grab the one that looked like they initiated it.
Wrong.

As someone who has been involved in stopping MANY night-life fights in my life (including fights based on thivery), that is NOT how you do it. You seperate them and try to talk to them. You don't just jump one, unless you figure out that he (or she) is totally uncontrollably violent and needs to be put the the ground immediately. Period.

And above all else, you certainly don't let anyone escape the scene, unless you are physically unable to keep them there (in which case, you should attempt following them and alert the police of where they are going).

While we don't know all the details, i have a VERY hard time believing that the two people who interfered were unable to seperate them and had to jump the man both of them. I don't exactly think the man was a muscular powerhouse (and if he was, i find it unlikely that a woman would be stupid enough to attempt robbing him).

While i applaud them for at least interfering rather than ignoring what was going on (which most people do), they handled it absolutely incorrectly.
Not sure where your from, but where I am (New York) there are very strict laws about citizen arrests.... which my first thought reading this story is that if they beat down this young man and called the police on him the two "samaritans" may have a HUUUGGEEEE lawsuit on their hands.

Your absolutely right, they did handle it wrong.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
It was a mistake of assumptions on the two motorists, but this reminds me of a similar happening that I was a part of.

I was riding passenger in my cousin's car, with a mutual friend of ours shotgun and him driving. We're at a stop light when we see off of the highway a older man jump out of a moving SUV while a younger man is chasing him. The vehicle is left to drift a bit while the old man is running away. He runs across the front of my cousin's car while we're waiting for the light, he proceeds to nudge him with the bumper. This causes the old guy to stumble onto the sidewalk, we see when he lands that dozens of pills spill out of his coat. Another man and the one that were originally chasing him jump on him and hold him down, my cousin joins in and so does our friend. I called the cops.

I never found out what happened after, but I don't think we needed four guys to hold down one old man. They also kicked him in the head. It seemed like the guy had tried to steal the truck from those two and was probably the case.

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
I've had this happen twice on and around my college campus walking home from parties, never saw both start but I saw an incident where both a man was being attacked and a man was attacking. In the instance where the man attacked he ran off before we could restrain him and in the instance where this woman attacked we restrained both of them and got the full story. One had to do with him flirting at a party and alcohol being involved she overreacted. The other apparently was just an abusive boyfriend.

However, both of those altercations were at night, and from what I'm reading of this particular altercation this seems to be during the daytime in front of a gas station where you would easily be able to see this occurring. So the first thing I would think to do is to separate both of them and find out what the flying **** is going on. If someone is attacking someone in broad daylight or at the vary least in a public area where people can see is not how assailants usually work. So I'd want to know what the hell is going on. Plus the woman would have to give a statement to police if she was being attacked and he was attacking her, it's protocol. This was indeed botched by the two passersby. Never assume. That's the biggest reason crap like this occurs.