Women and Gaming

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Whenever people seek upstanding portrayals of females in gaming, I always direct them to FunCom's brilliant Longest Journey franchise.
Two wonderful games filled to the brim with intricate character development.

And on the subject of equality between the sexes; to anyone capable of rational thought, it's obvious that men and women have certain fundamental physiological differences.
- But that is all.
This perception of women as inferior and a gregarious liability is nothing but an aged social construct meant to benefit the male population of this planet.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
And on the subject of equality between the sexes; to anyone capable of rational thought, it's obvious that men and women have certain fundamental physiological differences.
- But that is all.
This perception of women as inferior and a gregarious liability is nothing but an aged social construct meant to benefit the male population of this planet.
I couldn't agree more. After seeing this, and also that you enjoyed the final Matrix film, I seem to have misjudged you.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Gindil said:
Done? Ok. Now, how many WNBA Live games are there?
None, because there likely isn't a big enough audience for it. Would it be nice if there was one? Sure. But can you really blame developers for not wanting to take the risk of developing a game that few will buy?

Chummychanga

Dec 7, 2009
I liked that Heavy lady you linked.. I thought it suited a heavy role...
*pffft snort*
ANYWAYS! Women are really 'sexed' up now and days. Like earlier posts, Samus could kick your ass and still look as good as a 18-bit armor clad pixel could.. I think my favorite 'tought' women in a videogame would have to be Rosa from Assassin's Creed 2. She was pretty but could curse worse than a sailor and kick your ass all over Venice. I liked that.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
funguy2121 said:
I couldn't agree more. After seeing this, and also that you enjoyed the final Matrix film, I seem to have misjudged you.
PHEW! I'm lousy at first impressions. Good to know there might be time to salvage something.

P.S
Though I'm still not a fan of Cameron.
D.S

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Joeshie said:
Gindil said:
Done? Ok. Now, how many WNBA Live games are there?
None, because there likely isn't a big enough audience for it. Would it be nice if there was one? Sure. But can you really blame developers for not wanting to take the risk of developing a game that few will buy?
As I said before, there are a few directions that a WNBA game can be marketed. It doesn't necessarily have to be marketed seriously towards the male audience with a "NBA but with girls" theme. Rather, the more creative side is to make the game a unique property of the company that would own it. Whether that's EA or Sega, what they could possibly do is make it a larger than life type theme with women. Big Heads, Small Bodies, similar to NBA Jam. Cartoony, backyard antics ala backyard Basketball. Or cartoony over-the-top arcadey gameplay. In this way, children can recognize the stars of the WNBA and grow to like it and appreciate it a little more. This would likely build the fanbase slower than what people are looking for, but it would nonetheless, make it easier to see the WNBA.

UnlimitedCreativity said:
I say to hell with political correctness. We keep going on about how there underepresentation of so many groups in different medias. Overall does it really matter. Who cares if the medic picking you up is a female, it really makes no difference... the only reason this even becomes an issue is because people point out the fact that theres no women in call of duty... in which every game except modern warfare would to historically inaccurate. While yes there are women in the military, few of them are combat soldiers. they have the option to be, but very few take this route.
Actually, there's less direct combat soldiers that are women. Supplies, indirect (artillery) and piloting are open to females if limited (male dominance and all...)

But this is the same thing as the Avatar issue. People are boycotting the movie because there are no gay blue aliens. The biggest issue is now you have to write your story based on political correctness as well. If you play a women character in call of duty and that character dies... which happens alot in call of duty.. people will take it out of context saying that the game is portraying women soldiers as incompetent compared to men. Ever wonder why there are no antagonists that are homosexual??? Games stroies use stereotypes because they are safe. No one is going to complain if a women character plays the damsel in distress or the sexy badass chick because these stereotypes are accepted. No one is going to challenge them. The problem with complex characters that are women is you are dealing with a minority group. While you can do anything you want with the standard white male protagonist and no one will complain, where if you mess around with minority groups outside there accepted stereotype you are playing with fire.
And what's wrong with that? Fear Effect is great series about a lesbian couple. First cel shaded game AND dealt with something that wasn't the norm in the 90s. Granted, I don't want to hear about a homosexual male couple, but the reason things should be battle is because they ARE stereotypes. The main way I can think of to overcome them is either make them less prevalent or avert them in some way. How can you do that if you don't push the boundaries?

Finally, even the games that do feature women main protagnists, the protagonist is still very masculine in order to relate to games main audience... guys. I have yet to see a main female character act like an actually girl.... and no faunting a half naked body doesnt count. Take The Heavenly Swords chick for example... she is essentially a transvestite Kratos.
Chun-Li. Though I will give you that her legs were TOO muscular to be female... Also, Karen in Street Fighter Alpha. Spoiled rich kid who battled Sakura who loved to be tomboyish.

Why is do people feel its nesscessary to change things in attempt to be more politically correct. If the role was written for a girl, use a girl, for a Latino, use a Latino, but for christ sakes dont feel the need to change roles for the sole reason of being more polictically correct. Our generation is already gender role confused enough as it is.
See above. It's not about being PC. It's more about having someone that perhaps in some way, women can relate to. As an example, I'll pull up Elexis Sinclair. She's smart, intelligent, (boobs are still WAAAY too large), but she shows that you don't have to be a male to be in charge of a corporation and be evil. I would highly suggest looking into her backstory. She's mostly a nerd who has more than one degree in mathematics and whatever else. It's been a while since I read it. Doesn't change the fact that she's evil. But it was handled fairly well (I'm not saying exceptionally because the ending was over the top).

Regardless, a strong character doesn't have to fall into the usual role of either gender or be so byzantine as to have more contradictions than the Spy in TF2. A female hacking geek can be done really well without being so drop dead gorgeous if she took off the glasses. My main thing, make a game a little more believable than a woman staying alive in a Friday the 13th movie.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
funguy2121 said:
PHEW! I'm lousy at first impressions. Good to know there might be time to salvage something.

P.S
Though I'm still not a fan of Cameron.
D.S
S'ok. Apparently neither am I. I would say, referring to your other post, that his dialogue has certainly atrophied a bit. Nothing uttered in the final action sequence had quite the punch of "You're terminated, fucker!"

I'm signing off. Merry Christmas, escapist!

wax88

Sep 10, 2009
Gindil said:
Clarification: No, I'm not female. I just find some things odd. That's why I always question things.

I've played TF2 for quite some time. I've seen as people go to make a female TF2 cast that can keep up with the guys. Most of the ones out now are either too sexy or just impractical. Seriously why would the heavy be a little child? If anything she would be like this [http://alciha.deviantart.com/art/TF2-Heavy-Weapons-Girl-87684513] to say the least.

It got me thinking about women in the gaming industry. Sure, they're our music designers, our programmers, and great for a Sims game or two. But are they represented in the game industry? With 43% of females playing games [http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2009.pdf] and increasing per year, it's only a matter of time before we see a Modern Warfare with a Cpl name Rodriguez who happens to have a higher pitched voice than Sgt Foley. It's happened before: Meet Private Jeanette Vasquez [http://www.jenettegoldstein.com/images_film/Vasquez2.jpg], "Heavy Weapons Girl" of Aliens fame.

Hell, I've looked at a number of wargames, and there's not ONE female in them. It's as if War is supposedly male territory. ...

actually i believe that ghost recon or rainbox six had female operatives... MGS also had them-the remember Olga from MGS2...oh COD4 had a female chopper pilot-remember that one?

anyways- i guess the main reson for the above trend is becuase mostly ladies dont really like to play war games. yes, there is an increase in number of female gamers-but you also have to look at what they're playing. so for those games generally the ladies aren't really sexualised. but in games designed to target the male audience, then generally yes-becos sex sells. so if it helps to push copies, then developers will continue to use that strategy.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Gindil said:
As I said before, there are a few directions that a WNBA game can be marketed. It doesn't necessarily have to be marketed seriously towards the male audience with a "NBA but with girls" theme. Rather, the more creative side is to make the game a unique property of the company that would own it. Whether that's EA or Sega, what they could possibly do is make it a larger than life type theme with women. Big Heads, Small Bodies, similar to NBA Jam. Cartoony, backyard antics ala backyard Basketball. Or cartoony over-the-top arcadey gameplay. In this way, children can recognize the stars of the WNBA and grow to like it and appreciate it a little more. This would likely build the fanbase slower than what people are looking for, but it would nonetheless, make it easier to see the WNBA.
Regardless of how you market it, I would still think that it's a risky investment. I'm sure many developers/publishers feel the same way.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Joeshie said:
Gindil said:
Regardless of how you market it, I would still think that it's a risky investment. I'm sure many developers/publishers feel the same way.
I'm going to have to refer you to my post where I said exactly this same thing. What it seems you're asking is for the industry to not take any risks whatsoever. The safe bet will have fair returns. But branching out and establishing new streams of revenue would be something that no one can ignore. If there's money to be made with this, then surely a few developers/publishers will feel more towards taking a risk on a new property than working on only an established franchise.

I'll refer you, also, to this Jugger trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZxURn4OFU4&feature=related] showing how one of the best in this bloodsport is a female. Pretty good movie also.