"Women Have Always Read Comics": NYCC's Women of Marvel Panel

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
"Women Have Always Read Comics": NYCC's Women of Marvel Panel

From tales of dealing with sexism to advice for aspiring writers, the Women of Marvel panel was a highlight of New York Comic Con 2014.

Read Full Article

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
These articles focus on all the wrong things.

Sexism's an issue in this industry, but hardly the major one.

If there's any industry that's an ironclad triangle of nepotism, greed and idiocy it is the comic-book industry.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Its the same non "problem" as with the game industry.

Aslong as males are the ones bringing in the cash the industry will focus on catering to them.

People have to realize that theres a huge additional industry tied to comics: The merchandise industry.

And who buys most of that arguably useless crap? Males... who doesnt? Females.

Or when was the last time you saw a girl proudly showing off her collection of collectors edition spider man action figures in mint condition?

So while women might read comics... they dont bring enough cash to the table to make the industry more 50/50

Incidantly this is the same "issue" the AAA industry has. Aslong as males pour in more cash then women... the market will cater to them.

supply and demand people... supply and demand.

However i applaud that theres a sizable group of female comic writers nowadays, makes the medium and the characters they write for way more interesting.

Now if only there werent BS editors that "forbid" writers to marry batwoman to another female and shit like that. This in my eyes is the bigger problem with the comic industry and it affects both female and male writers. Editors are needed... but they should edit... not decide how the story goes.. they are not the writers.

QuicklyAcross

Mar 11, 2014
Vote with your wallets not with your twitter.
The faster people learn this the easier things can change in a reasonable fashion.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
*looks around her room of lithographs, autographed prints, action figures, comics, video games, and stares at her high end PC that she will soon be buying Denver Comic Con tickets on.*

Guess I need to turn in my vagina card? According to the comments on this article, I can't possibly be female because only men buy this "useless crap". My bad.

You guys are really harsh on your gender to degrade the things you love to "useless crap" as if women have some better, superior things to buy into than the "useless crap" men buy into.

If you ask me, it's not useless crap. It's awesome crap to show off and be proud of.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
PirateRose said:
*looks around her room of lithographs, autographed prints, action figures, comics, video games, and stares at her high end PC that she will soon be buying Denver Comic Con tickets on.*

Guess I need to turn in my vagina card? According to the comments on this article, I can't possibly be female because only men buy this "useless crap". My bad.

You guys are really harsh on your gender to degrade the things you love to "useless crap" as if women have some better, superior things to buy into than the "useless crap" men buy into.

If you ask me, it's not useless crap. It's awesome crap to show off and be proud of.
Lately these people have felt validated in their ignorance and we're getting three backwards comments for every positive one. I wonder what's happened recently to give these kids their voice? Oh...

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
PirateRose said:

They said nothing of the sort (well, except for the 'useless crap' part). They pointed out a fact: the majority of comic book readers (and those who purchase memorabilia, action figures, video games, etc.) are men. The comic book industry is, well, an industry, and industries generally attempt to appeal to those with whom they think they'll make the largest profit.

Men aren't the only ones who buy this stuff, but they are the large majority of the buyers, that's pretty much it.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
PirateRose said:

They said nothing of the sort (well, except for the 'useless crap' part). They pointed out a fact: the majority of comic book readers (and those who purchase memorabilia, action figures, video games, etc.) are men. The comic book industry is, well, an industry, and industries generally attempt to appeal to those with whom they think they'll make the largest profit.

Men aren't the only ones who buy this stuff, but they are the large majority of the buyers, that's pretty much it.
Piggybacking on this notion was that quote from Paul Dini about Young Justice getting cancelled because there wasn't enough of the male demographic watching the show who would then go and buy the action figures and merchandise. Ironically, it seems it might help save quality shows if women show that they are indeed buying "useless crap."

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
PirateRose said:

Wich you will put on a shelf and never touch again. Honestly it is useless... but as you said doesnt mean it cant be awesome.. heck i collect gunpla.. i have them sitting on a shelf.. and thats it XD

Also: Yes you do... you better grow a dongle or im afraid i have to conviscate all your stuff as contraband.

No not really but you are not a majority because youre the exception to the rule now are you?

The fact remains that males still pour more money into this "hobby" and thus are the ones the market ofcourse will cater to.

These are basic economic principles and no amount of political correct outrage is going to change that... nor does it help anyone kept for making feel some people righteous because god knows they havent actually done anything to make the world a better place in their entire live kept for raging at the entertainment industry.