Women in Games Conference Canceled Due to Lack of Delegates

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Women in Games Conference Canceled Due to Lack of Delegates

Lack of delegates has brought this year's Women in Games conference to its knees.

Initially conceived as a venue to give the women in the gaming industry a voice, the Women in Games conference was to take place March 25-26 in Bradford, UK. Though the conference had a strong roster, including speakers from Digital Games Research Association, Schell Games, Monumental Games, National University of Ireland Maynooth, TIGA and the UK Resource Centre for Women in Science, Engineering and Technology, it still was not enough.

"We are very sorry to announce that this year's Women in Games Conference has been canceled due to low delegate numbers," it said in a statement on its website. "The conference team would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their support of WIG2010, and hope that you will continue to support Women in Games in any future events."

Full refunds will be issued to those who have already purchased tickets, conference chairs Kaye Elling and Marian Carr said. Hopefully, we will see the conference return next year. It'd be a shame to take away one of the voices of women developers in the industry.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27717/Women_In_Games_Conference_Cancelled_Due_To_Low_Delegate_Numbers.php>Gamasutra

mountainfire

Forum Lurker
Jan 23, 2009
...Well that is depressing. You'd think this would be an interesting topic to at least SOME people.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
They were probably too busy playing Bejeweled or making me a sandwich

I am of course, joking. Kind of a shame really (after all, a girl was the lead designer of Portal) but considering how few girls play games, let alone develop them, it's not a surprise.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
uppitycracker said:
Lack of delegates has brought this year's Women in Games conference to its knees.
oh, you.... i certainly lol'd on that one
Happy to see I wasn't the only one who laughed at that.

Oh god I'm going to heck for that.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Wiezzen said:
Seriously, women need to stop pulling shit like this. What are they trying to accomplish by holding conferences like these?
You never see guys starting male video game conferences.
yeah, guys just have every other conference, women shouldnt get shit

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Wiezzen said:
Seriously, women need to stop pulling shit like this. What are they trying to accomplish by holding conferences like these?
Well duh. >_>

They don't need to.

If you want something comparable, it'd be like a male knitting conference...
Or something like that.

Whenever a group is under-represented, if you want to discuss any issues about it, you tend to have to make a special effort.
The majority group doesn't need to do that, because it's issues are already being discussed. (usually as if they are the only viewpoint that exists.)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Wiezzen said:
You mean pretty much every other vg conference there is?

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
March 25th-26th? I had no clue that it took place at that time of the month. Always thought it was earlier.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
This funny behind belief. It can't be described in words. We need poetry to transcend the feeble explanations of symbols.

"This was funny like a giant bunny."

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
John Funk said:
Wiezzen said:
You mean pretty much every other vg conference there is?
Which is open to all developers is it not? Not just male developers. Was there a lack of female developers in general or a lack of willing female developers interested in attending this? There must have been 1 that said no thanks out of principle.