Wondering about starting my own gaming stream

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
This is an idea that's been unusually persistent with me lately, but I need to know what is expected from a streamer.

Down to some details I've thought of.

Content: I want to stream playing RPG games, mostly, although I won't rule out other games (not online multiplayers, MOBAs or minecraft), mostly single player stuff. More specifically, I'm a fan of the Tales-series, and recently started playing them. But will there be an audience for that kind of stuff?

Equipment: Obviously I'll need capture software and hardware, and probably a mic of some sort if I want to record my running commentary track while playing as well. I should probably test the market before I start purchasing expensive equipment. Nonetheless, I need some capture hardware and software, since the tales-games are only on console.

Charisma: I want to say I have no charisma whatsoever, at parties I'm the awkward silent type, I'm not very talkative (apart from commentaries on games, I'm weirdly talkative about that), the only thing I have to offer is my particular blend of dry humour. Normally though, I'm more of the quiet type. I also have a somewhat nasal voice, I don't know if it would scare away people or not.

Schedule: I'm a very unorganized person, and a broadcast schedule would probably boil down to "when I feel like it". If I go for it, I might try to make it on a regular basis at certain times.

Then there's the fact that I don't really watch any streamers, I usually prefer to play games myself rather than watch someone else play it, the only exception being LoL. Can't get the hang of it, fun to watch the pro's in LCS go at each other. Anyway, what makes people interested in a stream? I'm a guy, so there's not much cleavage to look at, as I've noticed at least one streamer on twitch tried to pull.

Like I said, this is mostly an idea my head keeps toying with, maybe because I'm bored, I dunno what goes on in my head half the time, and I might be too much of a coward to actually begin. Also I'm worried that I might be a REALLY boring person. I find it hard to carry a conversation, and people don't really talk to me much. I do have friends, though.

Any thoughts?

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
You make a very good point. I'm only on the idea because it sounds like it'd be fun to try, but I lose interest in things really quickly, and it'd probably die out in like a month or so. I hardly ever commit myself to any idea, although I probably should. I would probably get more out of life if I did.

As for boobless, weeeeeell you don't wanna see mine anyway. :p But thanks for the reply.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
It's good if you can think your way through questions or issues, but ultimately you should do what you want. This includes starting your own gaming stream.

I think there are two things going on which are pretty weird. First, you seem eager to talk yourself out of this idea, which is very strange because you started a thread about it. Second, if you really wanted to do your own stream then you wouldn't have to ask others for their opinion, especially since they don't really know you.

If you purchased everything necessary to stream content, you wouldn't necessarily have to use it for gaming. There are plenty of instructional videos that can be made, such as:

Math
Programming
Account concepts
Physics
Spreadsheets
Office programs
Editing audio and video
Photoshop
Chemistry
Etc.

I know that you wanted to close this thread, but I get the impression that you talk yourself out of things too easily. The only reason I'm saying you should reconsider is because I find that my initial instincts are usually correct, and your first instinct was "I would like to try this."

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
It would seem I was too quick to dismiss it yes. I'm struggling with confidence issues, but that's something I have to work on myself.

I'm also meandering too much around the actual question in the first post, so no wonder no one saw it:

Would there really be any interest for a gaming stream featuring the kind of games I mentioned in my original post? That's what I'm really wondering about. Or is that something that cannot be determined without first trying?

Another question, will the way I sound really make any difference, or is it all in the content and entertainment value?

EDIT: Would it perhaps also be better if I made a Let's Play for youtube instead, seeing as RPG often can be filled with a lot of grind and boredom for those watching?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I'm very particular when it comes to videos, and I'm especially critical of people who post game footage on YouTube, so my opinion should definitely not be given much value in this case. I'm not an asshole with YouTube, if I like the video I'll give it a thumbs up, otherwise I'll do nothing.

Most of the time, when I'm looking up footage of a game, I just want to see the game. For example, listen to just how great the music is for the first level in the mobile/PC game Manos: The Hands of Fate:
[youtube=jzHB423A0qo?start=1&end=73
[/spoiler]
In contrast, here's a review of Manos: The Hands of Fate, in which the guy just talks directly over the awesome track:

I understand why uploaders do this, but I think most reviewers are terrible at knowing when they should speak and when they should shut the hell up let the game speak for itself.

Regarding the Tales series of games, I'm not a huge fan of JRPGs. To be honest, I can't stand JRPGs, but I think there could be an appeal if you captured or streamed your game footage if it shows how much you improve over time. The only example I can think of is the game Burnout 3 [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRqE-IS-kq8]. I don't think I've found a single Burnout 3 video on YouTube that shows just how much work is involved in getting a "perfect" lap (like a montage of quick cuts). Nobody wants to show how many tries it took to get a gold medal, which could easily take 20-40 attempts sometimes.

I think that's the trick with most game content today. Players let their ego take control and they kind of want the world to see how good they are, but that's become too common I think. I think if you're honest and show not just your successes but also your failures it may have some appeal. Another thing you could do is to display a clock that tallies your total play time.

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
The answer is no there really isn't an audience for what you want to do. People that get views on stuff like that are people that already have legions of fans/followers/subscribers/whatever. So unless your HYSTERICAL with an amazing British accent you'll get zero views and even then you'll probably still get zero views playing rpgs.

If you want to have a twitch that can eventually do well ( as in people will actually watch you) you will need to play a game that is popular and you will to be amazing at it and you will need to stream a lot. Youtube is similar. Play really popular games, be AMAZING at them and get really good at editing also try to be charismatic, etc. It;s a brutally hard thing to get into.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
For the time being I don't live alone, so I might have problems with bandwidth when other people start using the web. I'll let it rest until I have more control over my home network at least. :)

Kuilui said:
So unless your HYSTERICAL with an amazing British accent you'll get zero views and even then you'll probably still get zero views playing rpgs.
I have a typical Oxford accent (or so I've been told), a very clean english pronunciation. MovieBob called it reviewer voice in one of his episodes. I can do accents, but it probably won't sound good.

Thanks for all your replies, you've given me some insight into the world of streaming, and what is required of it. Like I said, I'll have to postpone it until further notice, I feel the internet connection where I live now is far from stable enough, even when I'm alone using it. And when my work situation allows me to stream during evening hours, perhaps.