Words/Phrases that annoy you.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
I am making this post because tonight I realized the phrase that annoys me to no end. I was having a good dinner with my family, but one thing was driving me crazy, and I couldn't put my finger on it. Suddenly I realized that my brother kept on saying "To be honest." at the beginning of his sentences. I don't know why but that irked me horribly. So, my fellow Escapists, what words or phrases makes your piss boil?

(Sorry if this has been done before, a quick search yielded no results, but feel free to rudely provide a link to a topic that is like this one.)

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
*Readies flamethrower*
THIS BETTER BE GOOD, JACK.
Everyone is going to think your crazy now that I fixed it. Man, did I just derail my own thread? Thats one for the Guinness book.

Rational-Delirium

Feb 24, 2009
Like, when people, like, talk, and they like, don't have a, like good understanding of what they're, like, going to talk about, you know. Yeah.

Ditzes: they come in all shapes and sizes, but they speak the same language.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Crap i thought of one right before I clicked the link, I read the post and it left me. Ill think of it sooner or later

EDIT: Ok thought of it, "Are you okay?" Makes me want to just devistate the person, espically when the other person just heard something happen and can't see it. Makes me want to pretend I'm dieing just to get them, even though they'll say it again later

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
hey man, woah.. dude. I'm not like ... high man but dude. It's fun to like , woah is that a shag carpet?, pretend to be cuz like pfffffffft pretend you totally highlited cuz... dude its California.

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
To be honest, the word 'irk' usually annoys me. Most people I talk to who say 'irk' give a slight pause when they come to it and put so much emphasize on the word. It just makes me want to tell them "Good job reading the dictionary last night."
It doesn't bother me when I read it or if a person says it in a fluid motion with other words, though.

Fridr

Dec 17, 2008
"Lol" and "what's up" in various forms and languages. Everyone uses these two phrases all the time and I'm just really sick of them.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
Kogarian said:
To be honest, the word 'irk' usually annoys me. Most people I talk to who say 'irk' give a slight pause when they come to it and put so much emphasize on the word. It just makes me want to tell them "Good job reading the dictionary last night."
It doesn't bother me when I read it or if a person says it in a fluid motion with other words, though.
I see what you did there, very clever. But "To be honest" only annoys me when its spoken because it usually has this tone about it that sounds annoying. I can't really explain it.

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
I giot most of my friend sto annoied by saying 'yeah, i know right' mos tof the time, also, my friends cant stand the word 'Flesh' and another cant stand 'Bananas', some rude bastards made her cry when they first found out about it, needless to say i kind off punched them....

queensbomb

Feb 10, 2009
Tenmar said:
Since the topic is under construction I will put a phrase that always bother me.

"Ya know what I mean." or "Ya know what I'm saying" or just "ya know."

These type of phrases are just said by people who do not know how to properly express themselves and rely on the listener's intelligence to make sense of the matter. It also makes the person seem more intelligent but in reality they are the idiot and does not fully understand the topic they are talking about.
In those situations, I will occasionally respond with "I have no idea what you're saying."

I really hate the phrase "well that's just your opinion."

Just kinda makes me want to smack the person upside the head and go "Naw, really?"

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
My wife always glares at me whenever I start a sentence with "For all intents and purposes..."

Marv21

Jan 1, 2009
Man up!

WTF DUDE I AM A FUCKING MAN!!!!
When you hit someone in the face with a whip like stick in the ass, Fuck yah its going to hurt, you don't fucking feel the pain that my ass is currently throbbing...you needed to be a man in the first place to realize that intelligent people do no hit other people in the ass with a whip like stick and do not expect a retort based on pain....you fucking man up!

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
Any butchering of actual phrases bothers me. For example...

"For all intensive purposes..."

"Guesstimate" (holy crap, Firefox thinks this is a word)

I know there's a lot more out there I haven't thought of.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Bored Tomatoe said:
When people use text speak in real life. That and white kids who talk all "gangsta"...
I think that's on a lot of people's lists.

I had a roommate back in college who, in addition to using chat-speak in real life (He would always say BRB when leaving for snacks), would always attempt to make a funny joke (his sense of humor is definitely lacking), laugh at it himself, and then when he noticed I didn't laugh, would say "You have to admit, that was pretty funny."

Yes, I HAVE to "admit" it, or else you won't shut up.

Replace the word "funny" with "cool/awesome/neat/bad-ass/etc." and you have about 80% of his speech pattern down. "I can't stand hearing the phrase "You have to admit" anymore because of him.

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
Flap Jack452 said:
Kogarian said:
I see what you did there, very clever. But "To be honest" only annoys me when its spoken because it usually has this tone about it that sounds annoying. I can't really explain it.
I do say 'to be honest' a good bit. Not in normal conversations, but when I'm talking to people I don't know or when I'm trying to bullshit someone. Don't really know why.