Words/phrases that piss you off

SonofSpermcube

Aug 10, 2013
OP, I've never heard "cultural Marxism." What exactly does it mean?

V4Viewtiful said:
"There's always more fish in the sea" gets my eyes rolling, not that it's cliche or untrue but it doesn't really hold up, there's also octopus, crabs, jelly fish and a bunch of other crap and who wants to go through an ocean to find one fish?
Other than that it is so uncomforting
Also, what if you're living somewhere that's seriously over-fished?

All I had to do was look around and do the math to know that if I stayed in my home town I'd be single, if not forever, at least until the first wave of divorces in my age group started occurring in earnest.

SonofSpermcube

Aug 10, 2013
renegade7 said:
The term "rape culture" when paired with "consent". The idea that there need to be PSAs carefully explaining to men what sexual consent is is not only insulting, it's completely ineffective. It implies an understanding of sexual violence slightly below that gained by watching Law and Order SVU for a few hours (is that still running?). Rape is not a problem because a large number of people don't understand what is and isn't violating someone. It's a problem because people are well aware of what "violating someone" means and choose to do it anyway.
Go read some article comments about the California affirmative consent law. You're overestimating the location of the bottom of the barrel.

"Oppression" is what happens in third-world dictatorships. "Oppression" is when you live in fear that you might accidentally offend the ruling party and be taken away in the middle of the night by the secret police. Those 200 girls who were kidnapped by political extremists and very nearly sold into sex slavery just for wanting to go to school were "oppressed".
Oppression is not black-and-white. Little is, as easy as it might make it for you to develop a worldview.

"Check your privilege". Seriously, screw off. I acknowledge that I got lucky in life in some ways, but I'm pretty insulted by the notion that everything was just handed to me, or, even worse, that I'm part of some elitist class that seeks for nothing but to keep people down. I will admit that I have the privilege of wealth because of my parents, but that's it. I paid my own way through college with scholarships and work study, and I'm actually being paid to go to graduate school. I rarely asked my parents for anything growing up. But that's the end of my "natural" privilege. I certainly have others too, but here's the wonderful thing, such things can be earned. How did I get "thin privilege"? By dieting and exercising. How did I get "smart privilege"? By studying. Telling me to "check my privilege" is an insult to me because it belittles what I've accomplished in life and, moreover, attempts to pin all of society's problems on me just because of who I happened to be born to.
You seriously do need to check it, because you don't understand how you got anything you have. What you have accomplished in life deserves to be belittled because you do not understand how large the extrinsic factors were in it.

For a much gentler illustration of some of what I mean than what I would give you if I were to go on about this, one put almost entirely in positive terms, from someone whom you should with your background respect, read "iWoz," Steve Wozniak's autobiography. Read his account of how he got where he is and maybe you'll start to catch on.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
I can't stand when I hear someone use the phrase "life's not fair" as a counterpoint to someone saying they've been screwed over in some way. Perhaps it's true but if your response to others experiencing any form of injustice is to shrug it off as just part of life you are likely part of the problem.

That said I usually only hear this in response to people whining about an unbelievably minor grievance and who are trying to get some attention for themselves for making it sound like a horrifying traumatic incident.

Also SJW and try-hard both irk me when used as an attempt to deride or insult someone. Unless you are genuinely irritated by anyone who fights to promote social justice or anyone who puts more than a casual amount of effort into what they're doing the choice of terminology just makes no sense. Of course there may be some people for whom that is the case but since those people are likely a little slower than everyone else it's hard to hold it against them.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Varrdy said:
"The Customer Is Always Right!"

So with you on this. I once had a customer complain at me both for bleeding and then subsequently have another rant because I had to leave the till for 60 seconds to put a plaster on. Dozens of customers who've gotten pissy because they "got charged the wrong amount" when actually they picked up the wrong item and/ or read the price wrong. Just today I had 3 absolute bellends get incredibly aggressive because I ID'd them (they looked underage and were buying a huge amount of booze 5 minutes before close). The pathetic bunch then nicked a bottle and legged it.

Not a chance in hell anyone will convince me any of those customers were right. Perhaps it's better for the business's profit line if I just pretend like they're infallible geniuses but it's worse for the employees that have to put up with them (especially as a lot of these customers only get worse the more they get away with it). If they want to use staff as a verbal punchbag to vent their own issues they can sod off and do it in some other store, assuming anyone else is even willing to serve them.

Anja Bech

Mar 20, 2013
"You win an/the internet." And any variation of this. It's just.. everywhere, and people who use it often act like they are special little snowflakes for coming up with a 'new and quirky' way to say it.

Edit: Stupid typo, sorry.

Envy Omicron

Apr 27, 2013
Hmmm for me, "pretentious".

Particularly when used as a negative critical point towards any media.

First, I find that the term is a bit fallacious in itself, since you can only really judge what something is "pretending" by projecting, and you also need to assume that it fails to deliver its content to anyone, or that it's less effective than it wants to be.
At some point isn't even the basest act of putting out any media potentially subjectively pretentious?

And in that sense, I get to my second Point, It's used almost like an insult, but it lacks any meaning. It is generally used to say "I didn't feel it" and that's fine, but it doesn't say anything about the product itself.
It seems like a cop-out. For example, a lot of people will say "Dear Esther is so pretentious". What does that mean? There are very clear and specific critical observations that can be made.. but saying pretentious is an entirely useless assessment.

Yeah that one gets my goat..
( and many of the ones mentioned previously)

May 28, 2009
Pretty much any "academic" term/idea used incorrectly, either through a misunderstanding of meaning or a misunderstanding of the source. Especially when you to "prove" some form of point.

List toppers are: "cis-white-male" (and any variation of Sigusch's gender identity terminology), yup they are born and identify as white and male. This is does not make an argument, nor does it make someone bad.

"Person X has a high IQ, wow they must be smart", not really IQ test are not an effective measure for intellect, just overt cognitive skill in areas of numeracy, literacy, and spacial awareness.

I am gonna stop there with those two, I am sure people catch my drift with this one. Incorrect use of field specific terminology just makes people seem dumb to those who actually know what it means. And in a world where you can look up insane amounts of information on your phone, ignorance to these things is no excuse.

"Rape" is a word a loath, really goes through me. I know that was a but hey I am saying em as they come.

The phrase "check your privilege", because most people who say it, tend not to check their own (kind of defeats the point really).

Using the word "fit" instead of attractive, handsome or beautiful, it makes me bleh.

Oh and pretty much any racial slur. I just can't stand them.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
Vault101 said:
"lad"

as in "allright lads [insert macho phrase here]" *hhhhgggggnnnnnn* I don't know what it is...its almost worse than bro
You would hate me then.

I get away with it because I do it in a cute Irish way though, right?

Right?
They don't know our secret ways, Colour Scientist! They won't understand!!