Works you'd like to see unfaithful adaptations of

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
erttheking said:
Heck, apparently some fans have already written much better received fanfiction about America helping Japan and not being total asshats.
Wouldn't happen to be able to name any names would you? Would love a decent writer to use the story.

I mean the anime is bad but the light novels are something else. I mean we're talking about SAO level quality writing from a man who had his own publisher given him his manuscript and order him to tone down the nationalism. A Japanese publisher had to tell him to tone down the nationalism. Let that sink in.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I'd like to see Disney butcher another fairy tale and make it a family friendly happy story. Now, seriously. I'd like to see them make The Iron Stove into an animated movie.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Thaluikhain said:
Generally, stuff by Lovecraft. You can't put colours or angles that can't be seen on the screen for one, and you'd really, really need to tone down the racism.
You could do Nyarlathotep really well though. But I kind of agree that some things you just can't represent on film without breaking it down. Catch-22 was a pretty good film... I think the primary complaint is that it doesn't capture the schizophrenic-feeling, disjointed monologues Yossarian has as he experiences the other individuals... so much of the book is pure reflection, like Yossarian's feelings for the Officer's Club that made it feel like a place, just can't be put on screen.

Part of me does wonder whether literary traditions have changed so much is simply because film and TV. Basically people have started writing as if it could be visualized on the screen.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
Thaluikhain said:
Generally, stuff by Lovecraft. You can't put colours or angles that can't be seen on the screen for one, and you'd really, really need to tone down the racism.
I think a lot of his stories could be great films if played from the suspense/psychological thriller angle rather than the cosmic horror they usually end up being in the end. Nothing wrong with that, but I fear most studios would pour their budget into animating cool cosmic beasties when they should probably focus more on the atmosphere.

That said I really want to see an "At the Mountains of Madness" movie with a slightly more modern setting so it can be part suspense film, part found-footage horror.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
chadachada123 said:
Nothing about strategic importance or any of that is at all implied.
Being precisely on the other side of that gate IS an important part of strategy, though.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
erttheking said:
OT: Yeah I'd second GATE, it seems to have its head stuck firmly up its ass in showing everyone who isn't the JSDF or a friend of the JSDF being either incompetent or evil. Kinda sounds like whoever wrote it has a persecution complex. Plus there's that thing where all the other countries want to exploit the other world for resources. EVEN THOUGH THE JSDF IS GOING TO DO THE SAME! Heck, apparently some fans have already written much better received fanfiction about America helping Japan and not being total asshats.
The original light novel was written by a right ring nationalist, its basically the equivalent to those American books where the mighty U.S. army fights a bunch of 2 dimensional villains and the foreign countries are all either incompetent, evil, or exaggerated stereotypes that look like something from a 4chan meme or Polandball thread.

Which stinks because I'll admit military wankery is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine, I would totally enjoy a story where the Japanese fight fantasy forces and the writer contrives a flimsy reason to keep other countries out of the story. But no, we get the scenario you described, where all the foreign countries are both cartoonishly selfish/evil and simultaneously incompetent enough to not be a threat to the JSDF, even Japanese characters that dare to criticize the military are basically just inept or evil.

That, and the random harem shenanigans get in the way of my kickass Fighter jet vs. Dragon battles, which is unforgivable.

So yeah, I'll third GATE, I want to see an alternate take on the modern world invading a fantasy magic land that takes the global politics seriously and cuts out the generic anime protagonist and harem antics. Keeping it as an anime would be cool, but I'll take a Western focused rewrite too.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
EternallyBored said:
That, and the random harem shenanigans get in the way of my kickass Fighter jet vs. Dragon battles, which is unforgivable.
I'll say. The damned show has every advert showing off the military action, but the good parts are just so far between the damned generic ship that I just can't get past a few episodes.

I think this chart a friend of mine made for me sums how I feel pretty accurately.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
There was an obscure book I read called House of Doors, which had a pretty cool premise. A castle that appears to be fairly old suddenly appears in Scotland, and there's no way in. Some characters sent to investigate are abducted and find themselves trapped inside, with a number of doors each leading to a different nightmarish alien landscape. They have to investigate, figure out what's going on and how to escape.

Unfortunately the book was crap, but the initial premise could be adapted to make a good horror film.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
A Twilight Zone movie where the twist is that it was an Outer Limits movie the whole time!

In all seriousness, anyone remember DiC Entertainment? They produced cartoons in the 80s and 90s; mostly licensed stuff for toys lines like Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and M.A.S.K., among others. Of importance to me are such characters as Inspector Gadget, Carmen Sandiego, Captain Planet, and Waldo.

I want to see a "gritty" re-imagining/sequel mash-up of a bunch of those properties. Dark and gritty, yes; but not at all serious or mature. A sort of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen type story. Start with a basic premise and just go crazy.

Example: Ten years after the death of his niece Penny, an older and more experienced Gadget (think Dirty Harry) is called in by ACME to apprehend a globe-trotting terrorist. To do so, he must locate ACME's greatest former agent and convince her to help.

From there, raid that toy-box and use your imagination. Throw in a gun toting Street Shark, or maybe a despondent Captain Planet. Can't go wrong with Rainbow Brite and a couple of magical mummies! How about Hammerman and a time traveling Sherlock Holmes from the future? There's so many ideas and characters to play with!

Negotiating to get use of all those character rights would a tremendous hassle, but it would be so awesome to see something this stupid actually happen.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
The idea doesn't make all that much sense to me. If I like something I'd want it to be faithfully adapted, if I didn't like it, I don't care if it gets adapted at all. I mean, I think I know what you're saying: they could be properties that are a few changes away from being good. But again, there are so many things that are already good, so I'd rather they be what gets adapted.

Tautology said:
With the guy that did Kung Fury writing and directing, I could see that as being entertaining. Not necessarily good, but entertaining.