World Domination - an interest thread

Fishtie

Sep 19, 2010
SeanTheSheep said:
Ah, see, I've never quite gotten that sort of person, and I don't think I could play one very well. I can think for people who do things for a reason, not those who do things for the sake of themselves on the part of boredo,
Ah ha! You've worked yourself into a logical knot. All you have to do is think of boredom as your reason... No, I also don't know why I had to say that.

Anyways...

On topic: This does sound like fun. I think I even have a rough idea for a character.
He wishes for a return of the romanticized version of chivalry (probably too many fantasy novels), so his whole organization is knight themed: Leaders are Sir so-and-so and use mono or vibro swords as their signature weapons, all his stuff is marked with his coat of arms, and though he plots the downfall of the government he always holds to his 'knightly code'.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Fishtie said:
SeanTheSheep said:
Ah, see, I've never quite gotten that sort of person, and I don't think I could play one very well. I can think for people who do things for a reason, not those who do things for the sake of themselves on the part of boredo,
Ah ha! You've worked yourself into a logical knot. All you have to do is think of boredom as your reason... No, I also don't know why I had to say that.
This is a bit self-justifying, but I've always held that "boredom" isn't an adequate reason for anything other than sex, watching TV, gaming, and things that will take less than ten minutes.
As far as I can tell, none of those things are "Indroducing a multi-faceted plan using my own private militia to destabilise the government and place myself in the top spot to rule over the crumbling wreck of a city left"

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
SeanTheSheep said:
This is a bit self-justifying, but I've always held that "boredom" isn't an adequate reason for anything other than sex, watching TV, gaming, and things that will take less than ten minutes.
As far as I can tell, none of those things are "Indroducing a multi-faceted plan using my own private militia to destabilise the government and place myself in the top spot to rule over the crumbling wreck of a city left"
You could replace boredom with things like 'disgust at the decadence that peace and plenty has brought', 'greed and ambition with no other way to express it', 'nostalgia for "better days"'.

Fishtie said:
He wishes for a return of the romanticized version of chivalry (probably too many fantasy novels), so his whole organization is knight themed: Leaders are Sir so-and-so and use mono or vibro swords as their signature weapons, all his stuff is marked with his coat of arms, and though he plots the downfall of the government he always holds to his 'knightly code'.
I like it =D

TheDoctor455 said:
This sounds like a great idea.
To help give you an idea of what kind of limitations you want to impose...
Is FTL possible? If yes, then is it practical or experimental?

Can things like Portal Guns be made? (or any kind of teleportation device)

Are there Energy Weapons? If yes, then are they handheld or weapons of mass destruction? (or both)

What kinds of new transportation are available?

Now... for one setting-related question...

Who are the Concern, and what are their goals?
To answer your remarks in order:

Yes, it is a great idea

No, FTL does not exist. Otherwise you'd just be off to Alpha Centauri instead of squabbling over one planet.

Teleportation does not exist. I should make clear here that most of the technology is pretty much ours at the moment, hence why I don't want it to be too far in the future. The main technological advances have been in energy (everyone now has more energy than they'll need), medicine (disease is pretty much gone from the world. Only the worst maladies still defy the doctors), industry (most products are now quicker and easier to build than ever) and computing (everything is smaller and faster than everything, and small-time AIs are in action, though under careful control)

No, there are no energy weapons. I point to the above point.

Flight is easier and cheaper, and all modern forms of transport are faster and more efficient. New forms may or may not exist; the point about new tech still stands. I might introduce something else, but I'm cautious that this shouldn't depart too far from reality

The OP states that the are the worlds governing force, a benevolent dictatorship that also happens to be a MegaCorp; a company with influences everywhere and monopolies on most things. They are of no race nor class; indeed it is hard to say who is and is not 'in' the Concern; many decisions are put to democratic vote, and there are only a few people who are in positions of genuine executive power. Mostly, the Concern employs whoever is best suited to the task.
Their goals are benevolently utilitarian; the most good for the most amount of people. they are in power because they think it best, and they seek to guide the human race for it's own best interests. They have no interest in land or power; in a sense they already own the planet.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Okay then, but... beyond "benevolent utilitarian", what is the Concern's ideology or belief system? Do they control what people think? If yes, then how so? I know that you can't tell us everything about how the Concern is organized, but some idea of a ranking system... some kind of a chain of command would help give players direction for say... picking assassination targets.

With Concern, what is their main method of holding power in the world? Military? Economics? Religion? Something else? This should be somewhat clear as it could give players some means of derailing their credibility or of turning the Concern's system to their own ends.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I got another question- does robot has been created in this universe? If so how advance can the robot be (I was thinking about having a robot servant) or is it ok to say my character had created a very advance robot but only he know how to make one (it's up to him if he willing to share that technology).
I'm some what intrested (not sure if I can be comminted to another RP) and I have a general idea on my character.
He pretty much a smart guy in a advance suit (could be consider as a super villain but I wouldn't go that far into since since it's not a super villain rp) but his reason to rebel against Concern is more of a vendetta then for fight against borden. He believe that the Concern has a ultieror evil motive but he doesn't got any concrete evident (people called him a conspiracy nut).
The reason for this vendtta was that the love of his life had died while working for the Concern (he believe that they killed her since she too believe that the Concern are secretly evil). Just to make my character isn't fully right on whatever the Concern really is, in the past he has some mental problem (and the same for his girlfriend). So it pretty much he is a unsable fellow, fighting for something that may not exist at all.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
Okay then, but... beyond "benevolent utilitarian", what is the Concern's ideology or belief system? Do they control what people think? If yes, then how so? I know that you can't tell us everything about how the Concern is organized, but some idea of a ranking system... some kind of a chain of command would help give players direction for say... picking assassination targets.

With Concern, what is their main method of holding power in the world? Military? Economics? Religion? Something else? This should be somewhat clear as it could give players some means of derailing their credibility or of turning the Concern's system to their own ends.
They are effectively what would happen if you took a charity set upon solving poverty and world hunger, then gave them masses of power and influence. They believe that with the material needs satisfied, humanity can get of the tedious business of war, hatred and jealousy and get onto more important things like peace, love and other good things.

They have two major holds on power. Firstly, them MAKE EVERYTHING. Without the support of the Concern, the world falls apart. They control energy, agriculture, industry, travel and everything else. This is not due to greed or a need to control; they simply do it best. (this is due to their nature; they started off as an international corporation that turned it's hand to doing good, and ended up so influential that it literally took over.
The second hold on power is not purposeful, but still effective. Namely, conditioning via education. Everyone is taught the Concern's philosophy, they understand the motives and learn to respect the same moral code. The mad and unstable are given treatment that genuinely works, and all but a few are genuinely happy and satisfied. You make up the remainder

Scarim Coral said:
I got another question- does robot has been created in this universe? If so how advance can the robot be (I was thinking about having a robot servant) or is it ok to say my character had created a very advance robot but only he know how to make one (it's up to him if he willing to share that technology).
I'm some what intrested (not sure if I can be comminted to another RP) and I have a general idea on my character.
He pretty much a smart guy in a advance suit (could be consider as a super villain but I wouldn't go that far into since since it's not a super villain rp) but his reason to rebel against Concern is more of a vendetta then for fight against borden. He believe that the Concern has a ultieror evil motive but he doesn't got any concrete evident (people called him a conspiracy nut).
The reason for this vendtta was that the love of his life had died while working for the Concern (he believe that they killed her since she too believe that the Concern are secretly evil). Just to make my character isn't fully right on whatever the Concern really is, in the past he has some mental problem (and the same for his girlfriend). So it pretty much he is a unsable fellow, fighting for something that may not exist at all.
I'm liking the character idea. However, you'll need to work on your writing before you get a place.

As for the robotics, I think you might well be allowed to have the suit, but the robot's going a bit far. Artificial consciousness exists, but it's frowned upon at least until the Concern decides what rights an AI has, and furthermore they are usually the size of whole buildings.
The suit is a viable option, but depending on how powerful it is, I may restrict your other resources. Taking it to the extreme, I might allow you to have something along the lines of the Iron Man suit, but you'd be literally on your own (unlike other players who would have who armies behind them)

TheDoctor455

Apr 1, 2009
I've got to hand it to you, the Concern's grip is very subtle, and certainly one of the most creative "world domination" setups I've ever seen.

Just one question before I come up with a rough character sheet...
Can we make up our own motives? Or are we all locked in "because we feel like it"?

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
I've got to hand it to you, the Concern's grip is very subtle, and certainly one of the most creative "world domination" setups I've ever seen.

Just one question before I come up with a rough character sheet...
Can we make up our own motives? Or are we all locked in "because we feel like it"?
Not at all. You can be whatever you want, but the point is that your character is an outsider to the whole peaceful, happy society.

As for the Concern's 'grip', it doesn't really need it; it's done so much good that it's universally acknowledged to be a good thing. for a start, it ended world conflict, solved world poverty and hunger, and has broken down the final barriers to racial equality. It is manifestly a force for good, and recognised as one.

It's almost a pity that your characters want to break it down =P

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Fair enough (I tend to spell check my spelling but I won't hold it against you since I aware that my spelling suck).
As for the suit, it's more of a protective suit (apperances would be like Gordon Freeman suit) somewhere in the line of enchance agility, reflex and strength (not super). The suit is more ideal if someone fight him face to face but he rely on his suit to win the fight (he is the type of guy who analysis his oppentment but lack physical). Also in that case I would have to choose between the suit or an army of my own? I'm not saying it unfair (I'm fine with either choses I would be given. I would have to adjust my character development) but it more like you can't have fearsome villain without a fearsome suit.

not_the_dm

Aug 5, 2009
Hmm, Collectivists vs. Liberals/Anarchists. Sounds very interesting. Let me know when you start up, I'll join in if I have time. I'll play as myself, an agnostic, misanthropic physicist who plays the violin in his spare time.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
not_the_dm said:
Hmm, Collectivists vs. Liberals/Anarchists. Sounds very interesting. Let me know when you start up, I'll join in if I have time. I'll play as myself, an agnostic, misanthropic physicist who plays the violin in his spare time.
A fine sounding character indeed

Scarim Coral said:
Fair enough (I tend to spell check my spelling but I won't hold it against you since I aware that my spelling sucks).
As for the suit, it's more of a protective suit (apperances would be like Gordon Freeman suit) somewhere in the line of enchancing agility, reflexes and strength (not super). The suit is more ideal if someone were to fight him face to face but he relies on his suit to win the fight (he is the type of guy who analyses his oppentment but lacks physical strength). Also in that case I would have to choose between the suit or an army of my own? I'm not saying that it's unfair (I'm fine with either choice. I would have to adjust my character development) but it's more like you can't have fearsome villain without a fearsome suit.
I've corrected the mistakes you made, and put them in bold. I don't want to be a dick, but your English doesn't really make sense, and it would really get in the way. If you could fix that, you'd be welcome...

As for the suit, I'm not saying you'd have to choose between suit and army, but that the more powerful the suit becomes, the less resources you have

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Super Unvillainy, here I come!
Retrotypical educated guy with lots of money and afterthought reasons to take over the world with giant amounts of resources! WAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

TheDoctor455

Apr 1, 2009
Okay, here's a rough draft, let me know if you like it... and I'll be adding an "Objectives" section to it to save time... my idea for the "Objectives" section is what your organization wants to do in reality... this is material that your opponents would have to steal or ally with you to get a hold of. I think it would also make sense to have two "name" sections, one for the "Real Name" (which again, other characters wouldn't know off the bat) and "Aliases" (which is how every character refers to each other).

Aliases: Arch-Deacon Smythe, Mad Max

Appearance: He is 38 years old, Caucasian Anglo-Irish, stands at an imposing 6'3", green eyes, has a somewhat wiry frame; and looks much older than he really is due to his many wrinkles, baldness, white goatee, vulture beak-like nose, and hundreds of self-inflicted scars. In public, he wears a neat business suit, black gloves, long boats, a black trench-coat, a surgical mask, heavy dark-tinted reading glasses and a brown trilby hat with the brim turned down. In private or among his followers, he wears a long black flowing robe with occult symbols dyed into it.

Disposition: For most of his life, Smythe was bitterly unhappy, however, since founding the Second Esoteric Order of Dagon his general demeanor has shifted from self-hatred to complete misanthropy. He despises all attempts at "ordering the universe", and actively seeks to destroy all who would attempt to control the world. He also seems to genuinely believe in the religious dogma he spouts out at every opportunity. He is a fanatic in every sense of the word. And even though he is insane, all of his actions do have a twisted sort of logic to them.

Bio: He was born in Ireland and lived most of his life growing up learning to hate the Concern and its machinations, but he was always quiet about it for twenty years. Then, after turning 22, he started having strange dreams about the Old Ones, (especially Cthulhu) in which they called for him to spread their madness and chaos to the world until the time arrived when the stars were aright for them to break out of their prisons and devour the souls of humankind. He initially ignored these dreams, but eventually, after they became increasingly intense and frequent, he could no longer ignore them and searched for proof of the Old Ones. Eventually, he found it in the ruins of a town that had once been called Innsmouth. Where any sane person would have seen an evil occult society based around kidnapping outsiders and ritualistically sacrificing them to the Old Gods; old Mad Max saw a glimpse of perfection in those ruins, and knew that he had to do. So, when he did everything in his power to build a reputation as a miracle-working psychologist and was responsible for inventing many of the "insanity cures" that the Concern use today. By the time he was 35, he had his own insane asylum free of surveillance or oversight from the Concern.

Objective: To destroy all who attempt to bring order to the world and to spread the madness and chaos of the Old Gods.

Organization Details: Smythe founded the Second Esoteric Order of Dagon when he was 27 with only five members, by the time he was 38, the organization had grown into a small private army. This is entirely due to his private insane asylum in which he uses his and the Concern's re-education techniques to brainwash inmates into becoming Cthulhu Cultists. Nearly everyone that goes through this process ends up even more insane than when they began. While the Order does have a limited military branch, the brunt of its power lies in information, finances, espionage, assassination, and subterfuge, and psychological warfare. The Order is organized as a dark parody of the Catholic Church with Cultists at the bottom; Priests, Bishops, and Priestesses in the middle; and the Deacons and Arch-Deacon Smythe himself at the top. Their main two fronts are Smythe's private mental institution, Arkham Asylum, and the pharmaceutical company, Gated Containment, which specializes in psychological control drugs.

/End of Character Sheet

Let me know what you think, if it fits in, then would you mind reserving me a slot?

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Sir Strange Of The House Lycan said:
I'm going to write up a sheet tomorrow good sir.
Also: Personal Technology < Man power?
Hopefully, tech + troops should be equal to a constant, allowing all players to be relitavely balenced

TheDoctor455 said:
Sounds viable. Another point to note is that the Concern do not enforce conformity; indeed they actively encourage that you do whatever you want, as long as it doesn't cause other people problems. Smythe would more likely be seen as quaint than mad (at least until he started killing people)

The Clown

Don't bother running
Jun 29, 2009
Can I reserve? and what are the limitations of our forces? numbers, weaponry etc, seeing as the concern is peaceful there would most likely be not many weapons going around.

TheDoctor455

Apr 1, 2009
ThreeWords said:
Sir Strange Of The House Lycan said:
I'm going to write up a sheet tomorrow good sir.
Also: Personal Technology < Man power?
Hopefully, tech + troops should be equal to a constant, allowing all players to be relitavely balenced

TheDoctor455 said:
Sounds viable. Another point to note is that the Concern do not enforce conformity; indeed they actively encourage that you do whatever you want, as long as it doesn't cause other people problems. Smythe would more likely be seen as quaint than mad (at least until he started killing people)
Okay, I changed it slightly... I just got rid of any mention of him hiding his quiet hatred from society when growing up. But my thinking is that since the Concern use some of his methods to "cure insanity", and eventually hire him, they would keep tabs on their employees for the most part. Which is why he might threaten to quit if they invade his privacy.

Sep 9, 2010
May I have a reserve please? I will have the sheet up by the end of the weekend (I have two concerts and a black and white affair to attend this week.)

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Hmm. This sounds like a very interesting idea. I might be interested in trying this out. I'll admit that I've yet to ever try something like this so I'm a bit inexperienced, but hey, you got to start somewhere.

As for the the setting, I've got a couple questions. Is the Concern one giant corperation or is it more of a conglomerate with different sub-corperations running individual fields (an agri-indutry, a manufacturing-industry, a communications-industry). Reason I ask is the character I'm thinking of is a regional manager of one of these sub-corps (specifically mining and ore processing).

Also what's the state of the world. Are individual nations still around or have they all joined together? Is humanity still pretty much on Earth or has it began to spread to other parts of our solar system (colonizing or gathering resources)? How much wealth are the "upper class" (you said that there weren't really any classes but I imagine some people are still much richer than the majority). Also is the Concern more socialist or capitalist?

And you said that technology hasn't advanced too far, but what's viable. Are cybernetics and robotics common now? Is AI generally seen or are they only kept and used in scientific settings.

From what I've thought of my character he's the regional manager of a mining/ore processing sub-corp and is well respected by his workers (they might serve as his personal army eventually). He's been reading a little too much history and now has plans to carve himself a realm like the empires of old.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
I call for a reservé as well.

Aliases: Archimedes, 'Rad Man', goes by the nickname of "Fernie" to close friends.

Appearance: Vizral is 50 year old, standing 6'5" with an astute profile and sharp nose, complementing his rather tall head. His face bears two blue eyes and orangish blond hair with a prolific beard wrapping up to his sideburns. He dresses quite formally almost as often as possible, unless unsafe or ill-advisable for injury or uncleanliness to do so, often seen with a black and chestnut pinstripe suit with a small gem in the tiepin. His shoes are equally well suited, and can often be seen with a wineglass in one hand.

Disposition: His demeanor in two words would be "eloquent and hearty". He greatly enjoys the company of others, and thrives upon the gratitude and enjoyment of others. His employees seem him as a well deserving and respectable employer, and many look up to him as exemplary of more noble inclinations of the Ego.

Bio: Born in Germany under the education of the Concern, but smuggled out of the country by his parents in his teenage years (his parents were killed for trying to escape to an Anti-Concern camp in the North Sea), Vizral grew up with the initial knowledge of the policies of the Concern, and the sentiments of terrorists. Striking a balance between them, he managed to create a successful company which sold uranium and rare earth elements to the Concern mainland in exchange for funds and to be left alone. The Concern itself considers Vizral's operation some kind of regional eccentricity but still within their power, while Vizral considers it an autonomous entity, much in the way China regards Taiwan.

Objective: To increase land ownership in order to make space for what is now forming under his effort, essentially an oligarchy state. The expansion is in order to provide more resources, so that a space program can be created for extraterrestrial colonization. (space exploration is operated in limited means by the Concern for fears of weaponization).

Organization Details: The company (Ryjo Uran Konzern AG, {Reeyoh Uranium Concern, PLC]) has over 3000 employees, and the island's population totals more than 14,000 (Employees families included.) All are under the employ (directly or otherwise) of RUKA in such a way that Vizral forms not only a boss to everyone on the island, but a king of sorts. Less than a quarter of the employees actually work directly in the mines which generate the income of RUKA, most of them work in scientific pursuits in company science labratories. Due to the dangerous nature of omnipresent radiation in the mines, RUKA quickly developed advanced robotic technologies in order to increase productivity and decrease risk. Secretly over the course of about 7 years, RUKA developed an army of relatively simple war automatons devised for the invasion of the Concern territory in South America off the coast of Chile in order to secure resources and land. The details behind these devices are classified at this time.

Other Notes: Vizral's wineglass often contains fruit juice due to it being cheaper than alchohol, and he finds the buzz uncomfortable. He is also quite proficient as an organist, and enjoys many of Bach's later works. A minor regret of his life is the fact that he never had children.