World Domination - an interest thread

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
The Clown said:
Would that be ThreeWords
As the author of this idea, this RP is my intellectual property.

*Ahem* I mean, that's me!

The Clown said:
I'm still thinking of having my forces made up of an aerial flotilla, if I were to, at the beginning before we start growing more, how large would my flag-ship be? saying my others would be progressively smaller.
I'm gonna limit you to the equivalent size of a large yacht; room for maybe two dozen people, and a few armaments.

LuckyClover95 said:
Could anyone be someone who is in the Concern, but wants to take it down, like an inside person. Like those guys who supply Wikileaks :)
You're all 'in' the Concern to a greater or lesser extent. They control all aspects of life; they are the quintessential megacorp [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MegaCorp] in that they do everything, supply everything, run everything and employ everyone. This is a future in which the world is made into a utopia because one company runs everything, and does so nicely.

Check out the OP (the very first post). I've put up lists of things I've said when answering peoples questions. It might help clarifying things...

SeanTheSheep said:
Also, reasons can range from "bored" to "insane" to "greedy" essentially.
Other alternatives are ones like Fishtie's; all about returning to the 'good old days'.

Sir Strange Of The House Lycan said:
Laser blasters exist in real life.Just want to put that out there.
Shutupshutupshutup

Actually, I have an idea of why no one has giant lasers of doom. I'm just not sure that it'll fit. I'll put it to public opinion once I have it written up...

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Here are two histories of how the Concern took over. I'm not sure which to employ, and I'm gonna put it up to public opinion

In the first version, the Concern began as a internet-based company that became a billion dollar media empire. The owner (call him Mr Arnup for the sake of argument) then expanded his investments, buying up first the competition, then shares in other major businesses. As Arnup's wealth continued to expand, his corporation now bought into every commercial market, snapping up whole companies in every walk of life, and becoming a MegaCorp of epic proportions.
Eventually, it came to pass that Arnup's company was big enough to start buying up countries. With control over almost half the worlds supply of food, fuel and commerce, and it's own healthy private army, Arnup was able to literally hold the world to ransom. The message was simple; Arnup's company, now renamed the concern was taking over, to stop this silly business of war and international rivalry, and get on the road to solving humanity's problems. The government's of the world eventually caved under the pressure (after all, how do you fight a man who not only can buy out your entire country, but supplies your food and power, and even the guns you'd use to fight him?).

The second is altogether more bleak and unpleasant, but also supplies a good reason for the prohibition of both high tech weapons and AIs.
Everyone had seen it coming for a long time, but the reality still came as a shock. World War Three was not fought with rifles and tanks, or even nuclear warheads (save in the poorest third world countries). The war was fought first on a virtual level; by now countries were so reliant on technology that it became almost a weakness; the United States gained the upper hand when the Asian Superstate fell to a malevolent AI codenamed Penny Royal, that wrecked the communications and fractured their data. But the advantage was short lived; the Superstate responded in desperation, and on the North American continent, almost a billion died under the falling plasma.
Miniature wars broke out everywhere, everyone hurling about laser weapons and plasma bombs, and 'black AIs', so called for their apparent hatred of mankind, gloried in the slaughter, merely serving to add to the chaos.
But eventually, the war ground to a halt. The politicians who had started it all were all long gone, and all that was left was the people who had followed them. It was a mercy that plasma was not radioactive; the land where the bombs had fallen was still inhabitable, and slowly but surely, the world was recolonised. Humanity was beset by famine, lack of technology or the excess of technology; nothing was worse than finding a maverick with a superbomb or an AI hell-bent on your extinction.
But out of these harsh conditions rose the Concern, like a phoenix form the ashes. Somehow it had survived, with technology and resources enough to be a major power. It was not know whether they were a old world power or the product of a paranoid old billionaire, but takeover was easy; people flocked the the banner of the Concern, and soon it was actively demanded to become the world power. It's influence was total, and one of the first moves was to ban all the dangerous devices form the Bad Old Days. Even the nuclear bomb was banned, and AIs were brought under strict control. Even now, the construction of plasma weaponry is one of the few crimes punishable by death.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
I like version 2.
Dan Gilbert said:
"We live in a world in which people are censured, demoted, imprisoned, beheaded, simply because they have opened their mouths, flapped their lips, and vibrated some air. Yes, those vibrations can make us feel sad or stupid or alienated. Tough shit. That's the price of admission to the marketplace of ideas. Hateful, blasphemous, prejudiced, vulgar, rude, or ignorant remarks are the music of a free society, and the relentless patter of idiots is how we know we're in one. When all the words in our public conversation are fair, good, and true, it's time to make a run for the fence."
[img_inline caption="USAF X-45 Boeing Unmanned Combat Arial Vehicle"]http://www.fahad.com/Blog_Pics/boeing_x-45.png[/img_inline]
My army is going to consist of a nominally sized UCAV air force as well as ground based implements. This good yes?

The Clown

Don't bother running
Jun 29, 2009
Name: Yosif karmat

Appearance: He is of medium height, around 5"11 with an average build. He was originally from eastern europe and when working or just onboard his ship he wears a poly-mat jumper and all weather trousers, he will put on a large leather coat when the weather gets too bad. But when situations allow he normally wears a toughened suit with weather proofing. He doesn't have any real facial hair, just a light stubble, his hair is short and if he has the time, tidy, it is dark brown in colour with a few extraneous grey hairs showing through. His brow is deep set, and he rarely smiles.

Disposition: He is mostly good natured, and he treats his crew with the utmost wisdom. He is almost always serious and calm in his judgement, but when drunk gets extremely angry, usually injuring the closest man.

Bio/History: Yosif was born in 2057 in eastern Europe, and was brought up in a strict fishing family, his father was the owner of the larger aerial fishing fleets in the region, which could be used on the water for fishing and in the air for trade and battle, and was rather rich, now that his father died, Yosif has assumed control of the fleet and most of its crew. After many years of running the business Yosif had expanded greatly, owning a grand total of four ships, the fleet had been larger but instead of simply growing, Yosif had sold off many of the smaller ships and used the money to upgrade the current ships. He now lives in relative peace, running the fleet with his younger brother chasir

Details of Organisation: Yosif's fleet is now based out of New Warsaw and has now become one of the Best fleets in the region. His fleet is comprised of four ships, his flag ship which is around 150ft long which three decks, two smaller ships with two decks which are used for general business, and have small netters at the back for fishing, and small central holds which can open up onto the decks for unloading, they are also equipped with a pair of small AA-guns each to defend from and aggressors. The Flag ship is rarely used for fishing, and is the only ship in the fleet which is not usually waterborne, it carries Yosif, his brother, and the 19 crew men. It is equipped well and benefited strongly from Yosifs upgrading and has recently been given a small rocket pod on the rear deck, two AA-guns on the sides, and an energy gun on the front. Yosifs organisation mostly upholds to his fathers original aspirations, but in the modern times has started to do more and more business with rebel groups, The Karmats' have been unhappy with the concern for a while, as they have been stunting their growth for some time, so they have begun to take up pirating. The last ship in the fleet in the fleet is also the smallest and is only for travel, it is around the size of a small car and is very agile, with no armaments onboard.

It's very rough and probably full of holes, but its the general feel for it, tell me all you want changed.

XThecommander

May 1, 2010
I have yet to see an insane female leader, so...
Name:Velanna C Casaleta

Alias:Blood winged angel, Rose.

Appearance:She is blonde, and wears a finely kept black dress, along with a pair of black nylon pants, under her dress. She has one ring on her index finger that is black, and has a series of wires running to a small pyramid that is half an inch tall, which she uses to unlock things that only she has authorization to. She is a caucasian, and has violet colored eyes, with a strange red ring circiling her pupil, she also has long blond hair that goes to the bottom of her chest, which is usually behind her, except for two strands that hang infront of her. She is 5" 7, and is the age of 19, but she makes herself look like the age of 24.

Disposition:She is very well mannered, and she is very kind, however, she has a strange habit of always being depressed, but she can be joyful sometimes.

Bio/History:She was once the head of a noble family, the Casaleta family was once well known, but after the world got into peace, the family had lost power, and was shunned by other royal familys. The family was famous for its intellegent members, who usually served in the military, after war had ceased the family was not able to maintain its status, and soon became nothing more than a regular family. They were not able to show any great skills that would promise the family to be famous or such, Velanna took it upon herself to take up arms against the government, since it had taken away those that she once called friends, and the mansion she once lived in. Her, and her sister Annella, who was the age of 17, but graduated early, went to an island that her family once owned, and stole it back.

Afterwards they founded a organization against the Concer, which came to be known as the Lazarus Concord. A group that would be raised when she was the age of 17, and her sister was the age of 18.

Details of organization:The organization is known as the Lazarus Concord, a group dedicated to making a better civilization that was the same as this one, but it gave people power in government, and didn't just give everything to a single group, which was something the people in her organization worried about.

Her organization was made up of a variety of weapons, one in particullar was a massive tank, which had very strong armor, but was incredibly slow, it was basically a moving fortress, and she had only two of these. She has a fleet of 4 ships, two battleships, one cruiser, and one aircraft carrier that launched unmanned aircraft. Finally, they have one large airship, this veichle is not advanced, but it is a ship capable of staying afloat in the sky for a good amount of time, and using a solar panel array to power it. However, the veichle has little capacity to use weapons, and only acts as a dropship, it is also heavily armored, but has only a total of 4 machine guns, and two AA batteries

The organization has a decent amount of followers, a total of 700 people follow her, but she hides her identity, convincing them that she couldn't reveal herself. The same is with her sister. Recently they have gotten trouble with keeping everyone well fed, and she can barely hold more people, she estimated that she could hold only 1000 people, however, she has recently found that the number of people in her organization has shrunk back down to 500, due to giving into pressure from the Concern, and this has forced her to only maintain the ships, and one of the mobile fortresses, barely able to maintain her own base of operations.

Finally, her organization uses old generation tanks, such as the Pzkpfw II, and the Marder II. Most of the tanks used are modified with new ammuntion, and better armor, but they are usually the same in design, except for the logo they have painted on the veichle.

I will specify the tanks, and stuff that my organization uses if you want. (put up images, and stuff, or maybe a link to the image.)

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
ThreeWords said:
Here are two histories of how the Concern took over. I'm not sure which to employ, and I'm gonna put it up to public opinion

In the first version, the Concern began as a internet-based company that became a billion dollar media empire. The owner (call him Mr Arnup for the sake of argument) then expanded his investments, buying up first the competition, then shares in other major businesses. As Arnup's wealth continued to expand, his corporation now bought into every commercial market, snapping up whole companies in every walk of life, and becoming a MegaCorp of epic proportions.
Eventually, it came to pass that Arnup's company was big enough to start buying up countries. With control over almost half the worlds supply of food, fuel and commerce, and it's own healthy private army, Arnup was able to literally hold the world to ransom. The message was simple; Arnup's company, now renamed the concern was taking over, to stop this silly business of war and international rivalry, and get on the road to solving humanity's problems. The government's of the world eventually caved under the pressure (after all, how do you fight a man who not only can buy out your entire country, but supplies your food and power, and even the guns you'd use to fight him?).

The second is altogether more bleak and unpleasant, but also supplies a good reason for the prohibition of both high tech weapons and AIs.
Everyone had seen it coming for a long time, but the reality still came as a shock. World War Three was not fought with rifles and tanks, or even nuclear warheads (save in the poorest third world countries). The war was fought first on a virtual level; by now countries were so reliant on technology that it became almost a weakness; the United States gained the upper hand when the Asian Superstate fell to a malevolent AI codenamed Penny Royal, that wrecked the communications and fractured their data. But the advantage was short lived; the Superstate responded in desperation, and on the North American continent, almost a billion died under the falling plasma.
Miniature wars broke out everywhere, everyone hurling about laser weapons and plasma bombs, and 'black AIs', so called for their apparent hatred of mankind, gloried in the slaughter, merely serving to add to the chaos.
But eventually, the war ground to a halt. The politicians who had started it all were all long gone, and all that was left was the people who had followed them. It was a mercy that plasma was not radioactive; the land where the bombs had fallen was still inhabitable, and slowly but surely, the world was recolonised. Humanity was beset by famine, lack of technology or the excess of technology; nothing was worse than finding a maverick with a superbomb or an AI hell-bent on your extinction.
But out of these harsh conditions rose the Concern, like a phoenix form the ashes. Somehow it had survived, with technology and resources enough to be a major power. It was not know whether they were a old world power or the product of a paranoid old billionaire, but takeover was easy; people flocked the the banner of the Concern, and soon it was actively demanded to become the world power. It's influence was total, and one of the first moves was to ban all the dangerous devices form the Bad Old Days. Even the nuclear bomb was banned, and AIs were brought under strict control. Even now, the construction of plasma weaponry is one of the few crimes punishable by death.
I like Version 2 more. As such I've built my character's background around that. I can try to fix it up if you eventually go with Version 1 though.

Name: Dieter Ellington

Alias: Calls himself "Vulcan" (after the old Roman God of fire and smithery), simply known as "The Leader" amongst his subordinates when not referred to as "Mr. Ellington"

Appearance: Dieter is a 29 year old Caucasian man who stands at 6'1". He generally keeps his brown hair cut short and his chin shaved clean. His light blue, almost gray, eyes seem to glare out from beneath his brow. Dieter's usual outfit is a simple dark gray and blue suit that is reminiscent of both the mining jumpsuit that is the uniform of his subordinates and the military uniforms of the early 20th century. He always cares a holster pistol with him which is easily visible.

Disposition: While out amongst his workers, or "my people" as he prefers to call them, Dieter usually remains stoic but encouraging. His confidant but approachable attitude helps to keep his workers relaxed around him, while simultaneously making sure that they work hard to complete orders.Amongst those closer to him, he adopts a more relaxed stance that none-the-less exudes purpose. He stills stay generally stoic, showing little emotion beyond tightly controlled amusement. This facade will occasionally break during a period of excitement, be it positive or negative; during which Dieter will show an intense glee or fury respectively. Dieter also has no small opinion of himself, and although he doesn't like to think of himself as prideful, will generally show a bit too much confidence in his own abilities.

Bio: Dieter was born along the eastern coast of Northern America near the many super-cities of the ex-U.S.A. Although initially rather comfortable with the life the Concern provides for all, Dieter's outlook began to change when at university. He quickly became enthralled by the history books there and could be found reading them as often as possible. After reading many an account of great empires being raised by the will of single men, he soon began to have his own visions of grandeur. At first mere fantasies, these plans soon began to consume Dieter. With his collected knowledge of what seemed to have worked and failed in the past he soon began to take serious his dream of ruling his own empire. Recognizing that the power of an Empire could usually be derived from manpower and raw resources, Dieter managed to get a position in the Rocky Metal Mining and Smithing Corporation (also known as the RMMS Corp amongst the layman). When the former position holder died at an old age not long after his employment, Dieter was made Regional Manager of the Bitterroot area.

Organization: Thanks to large veins of several useful resources found in the last decade, the Bitterroot region is given more attention by the RMMS then other neighboring areas. This has led to a population boom in what was an area devastated by plasma bombing of the U.S. by the Asian Superstate. With so much useful resources being mined, the RMMS built the smithing factories right next to the mines, allowing for cheaper processing. The factories that use the resources to produce goods lie not far from the mining complexes but do not fall under control of the RMMS. Towns have sprung up around these industrial areas and the total population currently nears about 4500 people.
Although initially having little knowledge of the details of the mining and smithing of ores, Dieter quickly managed to make a name for himself in the RMMS. His pragmatic business practices coupled with the respect that he showed his subordinates helped to gain him a good reputation even amongst the miners working to extract the resources from the land. Despite the relatively large (for the overall area) population in the Bitterroot region, the area is somewhat secluded due to the large area surrounding it being mainly uninhabited, except for the rebuilding cities of Boise and Helena, due to bombing campaign waged over half a century ago. This has allowed for Dieter to become something of the unofficial leader for the whole region, for the employees of RMMS and the average person living there. Dieter has capitalized on this and made sure that the average Bitterroot inhabitant looks to him for leadership with a vigorous PR campaign.
Forces currently at Dieter's Disposal:
Although the only armed force in the Bitterroot region is the miniscule police force that takes care of the few trouble makers in the area, the 2000 or so employees of the RMMS Corps is a well-disciplined force. The simple doctrine of "Work with your equal, respect your subordinate, obey your superior" that Dieter has made sure to spread amongst the whole of the company as well as many of the civilians in the area has made the Bitterroot region work like a well-oiled machine. In addition Dieter has made sure to plan ahead for the point where he will reveal his plans to the world and take, as he likes to think, his rightful place in history. He has secretly built several underground complexes in the area, including under his large home. Stockpiles of mined resources and company supplies have also been made on the side that the Concern doesn't know about. Dieter also hired engineers to help design simple semi-automatic rifles, as well as other infantry weapons, for his envisioned forces and to figure out how to turn the extensive mining equipment and machinery at his disposal into military arms and vehicles. He has also been eyeing the nearby factories that pump out vast goods for the Pacific coast, knowing that he'll need their industrial power.
Edit:
Other Details: Dieter has a very big interest in maps. In his home he has a room filled with maps detailing everything from average populations of world regions, the location of important resources, and possible conquests to historical maps illustrating battles, wars, and empires. He can frequently found during his free time studying these maps and sometimes simply gazing at them. His library also contains large numbers of history books, as well as a growing collection of works detailing political and economic theories. When not with his maps, Dieter will instead be reading these books, looking for knowledge and ideas.
I can make changes if need be. Just point out any problems you have with the Character.

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
Can your character be crazy and think that the concern is evil, and is really paranoid, the untrustworthy twitchy type, and is just obsessed with taking down the leaders, maybe he/she thinks they are planning something.

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
ThreeWords said:

Second one :)

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
LuckyClover95 said:
Can your character be crazy and think that the concern is evil, and is really paranoid, the untrustworthy twitchy type, and is just obsessed with taking down the leaders, maybe he/she thinks they are planning something.
Sure. I'm fine with the mad, the bad and the socially maladjusted

Also, regarding sheets: Please stop inundating em with characters. The idea for this RP is still in creation, and much as the eagerness is encouraging, I can't run it yet and I don't expect to for some time. I don't want to offend my audience, but please hold back for now?

XThecommander

May 1, 2010
ThreeWords said:

Also, regarding sheets: Please stop inundating em with characters. The idea for this RP is still in creation, and much as the eagerness is encouraging, I can't run it yet and I don't expect to for some time. I don't want to offend my audience, but please hold back for now?
Okay then, but can you give us a time when you will be able to do it? Maybe even an estimated time? Because i'm interested in this, and I wouldn't like it dead, and if you can't run it, I would offer to take your place if needed.

Fishtie

Sep 19, 2010
ThreeWords said:
LuckyClover95 said:

Sure, no problem. After all, [sarcasm] I totally need to be in more RPs rather then unimportant things like work and life.[/sarcasm]

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
XThecommander said:
Okay then, but can you give us a time when you will be able to do it? Maybe even an estimated time? Because i'm interested in this, and I wouldn't like it dead, and if you can't run it, I would offer to take your place if needed.
With any luck, I'll be starting in January, or at the latest, early February. If not by then, I'll consider passing it on.