World Health Organization Blames Games for Childhood Obesity

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
World Health Organization Blames Games for Childhood Obesity

A new study by the WHO has cited videogames as a major cause of childhood obesity.

A study conducted by the World Health Organization to investigate the rising problem of childhood obesity has named videogames as one of the driving factors behind the issue. According to the report, a third of all children around the world are now classed as obese, with a 'sedentary lifestyle' blamed. The report also claims that only 25% of boys are getting enough exercise and only 15% of girls.

It's not just gaming that got the blame though, as the report also cites television and internet usage as causes. Interestingly, it doesn't appear that living in a more affluent country affects the amount of exercise you get: "With regards to physical activity levels, we did not find much of a difference between poor and rich countries," the report stated. "Growing up in a poor country does not necessarily mean that kids get more physical activity."

The problem with a study like this - in my eyes at least - is that it oversimplifies the problem. Sure, kids are getting bigger because they're playing videogames and chatting online, but the reasons for that are more complicated than just the availability of technology. If anything, gaming is a symptom, not a cause.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/38333/WHO-blames-games-for-obesity]

Apr 28, 2008
Didn't you guys put up a news story that said there wasn't a solid link between videogames and obesity?

Bleh, I hate it when people blame everything thats not the real problem. But I guess thats life...

Still sucks though.

Grounogeos

Mar 20, 2009
Who lets the kids live with that kind of lifestyle? The parents. If anything, parents are the cause of childhood obesity because they can't be bothered to be responsible.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
Well then perhaps the parents, you know the people who actually have control over the kids, should step up, take some responsibility and turn off the video games.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
So instead of blaming cars taking us everywhere, parents not forcing their kids to work-out/play outside or maybe - just maybe - McDonald's for the toxic food they feed everyone...

They decide to blame video games even though the Nintendo Wii is more likely to have you burn off calories than anything else... due to its attractive nature and games to play.

Riiiight.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I'd give my opinion, but I have a feeling I'd be flamed...
*Sigh* Here goes...
There are many reasons for obesity. Food is a big one. But sitting around for entertainment, such as TV and video games, is contributing to it. Luckily, the Wii and DDR are saving video games.

Insurance Salesman

Sep 15, 2009
Are video games, television and other sedentary activities contributing to obesity? Probably, because instead of going outside and doing something kids are sitting on their couches and pretty much absorbing entertainment instead of going out and finding it. Are they the only reason, though? Probably not. Bad parenting (maybe brought on by the need (or desire) for both parents to work) and an increase in the food supply have probably also contributed.

Seriously, though, it's almost insane how fast people close their ears when video games are mentioned in a non-favorable light. Yes, its annoying when video games are labeled as Satanic child-corrupters, but I think this study has some good points. And I don't think that video games in moderation are being blamed here; its the overuse that's the problem.

Edit: By the way, notice that the study said that videogames was "one" of the contributing factors, not the only one.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Bleh... I know gamers who are slim... Too thin I suppose... But Obese?!?!?! C'mon! Alot of gamers only eat up candy bars or whatever sugar that is easy to eat while beating up the baddies! If they are obese and they play games, they ain't doing it right!

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
Of course, and games also cause violence and delinquency and rebelliousness and kills brain cells and all that other bullshit the media tells itself to avoid admitting that not everyone is like them. And now its obesity.

I could talk about how i dont exercise or 'eat healthy' or anything like that yet manage to remain fit etc, but that would sound defensive.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
meh, i sit and eat crap and play games all the time but i don't get fat

High Motabilism ftw

OT: i wouldn't blame anyone but the parents, its them that are responsible for their children and no one else. If they can't handle something as simple as getting their child to eat a little healthier and go outside a bit more then it's their own fault their kids are fat

I believe Lee Evans had a good idea for obesity...Put the fridge in the loft, make them work for the food :p

Gentleman_Reptile

Jan 25, 2010
All this basically boils down to is "No physical activity and shit food makes you fat". Well gee thanks Einstein, you didn't need an entire fucking survey to tell us that.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Sure, kids are getting bigger because they're playing videogames and chatting online, but the reasons for that are more complicated than just the availability of technology. If anything, gaming is a symptom, not a cause.
Definitely this. And the big problem is that many organizations are aiming in the wrong direction. Trying to destroy gaming as a media is futile, and also rude to the community that doesn't care for these studies. They should aim at just raising awareness, but not aiming at one single correlation.

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
oppp7 said:
I'd give my opinion, but I have a feeling I'd be flamed...
*Sigh* Here goes...
There are many reasons for obesity. Food is a big one. But sitting around for entertainment, such as TV and video games, is contributing to it. Luckily, the Wii and DDR are saving video games.
DDR at a simple level doesn't do you much better than walking around slowly, and at an advanced level where you get that cardio it is too complicated for most.
Wii only is good excersize if your a tv family doing wild motions for simple flicks and wags.

OT: I blame the progression of time. Studies show that the more time goes by, the higher the obesity levels climb. We must do something about this time problem![/sarcasm]

ThePocketWeasel

Mar 24, 2009
Well if they're not making kids kill people they're making kids fat. Sneaky games, they're always up to something.

Games do not make kids obese, they don't force kids to sit there and say 'You shall not move for the next 2 weeks'. It's no one but the parents fault. Another case of people not wanting to accept they have a responsibility and it was all their fault.