World of Goo Developers Set iPads Ablaze

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
World of Goo Developers Set iPads Ablaze

"I've got the fireplace ... that burns at a hundred billion degreeeees!"

Little Inferno [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118393-World-of-Goo-Team-Sets-Its-New-Game-on-Fire], the Tomorrow Corporation's cheerful little firebug puzzler, is due to hit the iPad January 31st. You too will be able to purchase Toy Pirates, Wooden Bicycles and Squirrel Whistles, and cart them back to your Entertainment Fireplace for the traditional post-purchase bonfire.

These are the same folks who put together World of Goo and Henry Hatsworth, so expect cheerful visuals with a - quirky? Sure, quirky works - subtext. What you won't get are in app purchases, adds, spam and so forth, as the developers aren't that keen on upselling. The Tomorrow Corporation promises "you'll get Just The Game and nothing else!" For that matter, you can get Little Inferno in English, Spanish, French, Dutch, and German, with Brazilian Portuguese and Italian versions on their way soon.

Game play is crushingly simple. You put things in the fireplace, and burn them. Each destruction yields coins, which can be used to buy more stuff for the pyre. The developers describe it as "an adventure that takes place almost entirely in front of a fireplace - about looking up up up out of the chimney, and the cold world just on the other side of the wall." And what's out there, you ask? Weeeeell ... If you have an iPad, you can find out; this one's already been out on the Wii and PC for a while.

If you're one of those people who has to hear an authority figure speak out against a game before you buy it, take heart, for the National Fire Prevention Association dislikes Little Inferno. "Some will say that it's just a game!" says Fire Service Today [http://fireservice.blog.nfpa.org/2013/01/little-inferno-video-game-causing-concern-for-kids-fire-safety.html]. "True - and many will treat it as such. But there is an innate curiosity to fire." It's already calling for it to be pulled from Nintendo's virtual store.

Source: Tomorrow Corporation [http://tomorrowcorporation.com/]

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Saw criken play it...
I don't get disturbed easily, especially by games but seeing him light up that bear, those sounds.
I was slightly pyromanic as a child so... I'm betting at least one house will be set on fire due to this game.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
And here I was hoping that the new game was actually causing iPads to burst into flames.

Happy thoughts.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
So, does this involve an appearance by Jim Carrey playing "Fire Marshal Bill"? Maybe that will make the NFPA happier if he pops out of the chimney and conveys a warning in his own unique way. :)

That said, I'm not a big fan of puzzlers, but it sounds like something (i)device users will appreciate as a quick time killer.

If I understand the premise correctly, it seems a lot like Peter Molyneux's "Curiousity" project with people banking the cube (or whatever it was) with increasingly expensive picks to find out what was inside, except in this case your just paying for the game. Like Molyneux's game it's largely about persistance to find out what you discover at the end.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Definitely not much of a game, but it's cute and interesting. Assuming it's gonna be extremely cheap on the iPad, I'd suggest checking it out.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Why do people say the same people that made World of Goo made Little Inferno? Only one guy is shared between them, and 2D Boy did Goo, not Tomorrow Corp.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
praetor_alpha said:
Why do people say the same people that made World of Goo made Little Inferno? Only one guy is shared between them, and 2D Boy did Goo, not Tomorrow Corp.
Ya but 2D boy is only 2 guys to begin with, so that means it has half of 2D Boy's entire development team.