World of Tanks Rolling Onto Xbox 360 Next Week

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
World of Tanks Rolling Onto Xbox 360 Next Week

Wargaming has revealed that World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition will officially launch on February 12th.

Last year, Microsoft revealed that World of Tanks, Wargaming's free-to-play game of tank combat, would be <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124773-World-of-Tanks-Coming-to-Xbox-360-This-Summer>coming to Xbox 360. Now, Wargaming has revealed that console gamers eagerly waiting for the chance to get their tank on won't have to wait much longer. According to an announcement from the developer, the game will be available for download on February 12th, after a day one update.

This release date reveal also included some other bits of interesting and pertinent information. For instance, while World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition will require an Xbox Live Gold account to play in the long term, anyone with an Xbox Live account will be given a 7-day free trial. The Xbox 360 Edition will also come packaged with "more than 100 iconic tanks" based on units from the United States, Germany and the United Kingdom. This is markedly less than the PC version, but Wargaming has affirmed that it will be adding more tanks and nations in the future.

The take away from all of this is that if you've been curious about World of Tanks in the past but lacked the PC hardware necessary to give it a proper go, this may be the opportunity you've been looking for. The simple fact that it's free should be incentive enough to at least give it a try. Now if you'll excuse us we need to research our tank options so we'll be ready for war come the 12th.

Jun 11, 2008
Charcharo said:
wombat_of_war said:
aww its seperate i was hoping to introduce some 360 users to high velocity rounds

*edit* usa, germany and UK? suprising it doesnt have the soviet tanks
It is aimed at a US audience... that is the reason for it being on the 360 at all.

Well, good luck console players. Really wanted to fight ya, but we all know seperating game communities is such a good idea...
Leaving out of the best start nations is not a good idea. British tanks are a terrible line to start with pre 5 and Germans have a massive lull in power at tier 6 and early 7 upgrades. Also I'd imagine if it is aimed at US players they'd want to shoot at Russians as well as Germans. I mean at least Germans do have a good 1-5 as well as US both. Bar 1 or 2 tanks.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Charcharo said:
wombat_of_war said:
but we all know seperating game communities is such a good idea...
Actually, in terms of separating PC players from 360 players, it actually is a good idea due to superiority of controls that the PC users have.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Charcharo said:
Well, good luck console players. Really wanted to fight ya, but we all know separating game communities is such a good idea...
haha no you didn't, don't be silly, you wanted to rub it in their faces about the platform you're currently playing on, why would there ever need to be such a reason to cross play like that?, there's no reason other than to rub the faces on purpose.

Arnoxthe1 said:
Actually, in terms of separating PC players from 360 players, it actually is a good idea due to superiority of controls that the PC users have.
Yeah, those Xbox 360 players must truly be having the shittiest of times with that game since their controls aren't clearly made of brimming superiority, because after all that's what truly matters in gaming, superior everything...

I swear one of these days I'm going to be done with gaming since this is all it's turning out to be, people that want to rub shit in the faces of others and those that must have the ultimate say in what's better than others and just how shit they really are.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Yeah, those Xbox 360 players must truly be having the shittiest of times with that game since their controls aren't clearly made of brimming superiority, because after all that's what truly matters in gaming, superior everything...

I swear one of these days I'm going to be done with gaming since this is all it's turning out to be, people that want to rub shit in the faces of others and those that must have the ultimate say in what's better than others and just how shit they really are.
You know what? I actually kinda know what you mean with that last part. I really do. HOWEVER, consider this context: I am an avid console user and on top of all that, I even support the Xbox One somewhat.

Having said that though, I'm also somewhat of a PC gamer. And it's just a fact that the mouse alone offers incredibly quick turning with precision that a control stick just never can completely have.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:

You know what? I actually kinda know what you mean with that last part. I really do. HOWEVER, consider this context: I am an avid console user and on top of all that, I even support the Xbox One somewhat.

Having said that though, I'm also somewhat of a PC gamer. And it's just a fact that the mouse alone offers incredibly quick turning with precision that a control stick just never can completely have.
That's the thing though, others can have a great time using their gamepads in FPS's, I've done so in the past, except trying to play most FPS's on mouse just doesn't feel right to me and to others.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
except trying to play most FPS's on mouse just doesn't feel right to me and to others.
It is a little funny that you say that though because a whole lotta' old FPS' were made solely for the keyboard and mouse such as Unreal Tournament and Half Life. I admit that I am biased for the computer controls though. Back in the day when I was really young, I used to play games like Hexen one day on the PC and then perhaps Banjo-Kazooie the next. But during the later parts of my youth, I began to play a lot more PC games.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:

That's the thing though, others can have a great time using their gamepads in FPS's, I've done so in the past, except trying to play most FPS's on mouse just doesn't feel right to me and to others.
You realize that microsoft beta'd this concept last gen, right? Putting PC players against console players in shooter games? The console players got decimated *every time*.

It wasn't a lack of skill, it was that mouse/kb is simply more quick and more precise than controllers can ever be. No matter how great you are at controllers, how many years of experience you have with them, someone playing the same game m/kb (with the same amount of experience) will blow you out of the water. Their decision was simply to keep the communities separated, because it wasn't fun for console players to get dominated over and over. Splitting the communities keeps the playing field even, and lets both communities enjoy the game without one having an unfair advantage of simply "superior" hardware.

It's not a matter of opinion or taste - keyboard and mouse are more precise and much quicker than console controllers given equal time with each. And that inherent imbalance is why the communities continue to be split.

In this game in particular, it "doesn't matter" for lower level play. You can get up to tier 5-7 and still be pretty shitty, not aiming at weakspots, not aiming while moving, or taking forever to aim. But when you start getting into "real" matches (especially if they ever port over clan wars or company battles), fast, precise shots (aim and fire in under half a second while moving) are required or you just get stepped on. And that's where the console version would fall behind. It's better to simply have them in separate leagues.

Personally I would like to be able to use my PC account on a 360, or vice versa, because the game is very very grindy, and I don't want to have to play those shitty low tier tanks all over again. I had enough M3 Lee and Pz 38nA to last me a lifetime.

Edit: This post is mostly relevant to PvP games, like shooters... and World of Tanks. Both sides (either 1 player, or 15 players) having a roughly equal chance to win is an important consideration when balancing for player versus player content. If it was a purely PvE game, then there wouldn't be any problem combining console and PC crowd, specifically for the reason you said; some people prefer controllers (although this is ignoring the fact that you can use controllers on PCs as well, making consoles and console releases mostly pointless). But when it comes to PvP, both sides need to be as equal as possible, and if you ever get into a 1v1 skirmish against a PC player and you're in a controller, you're just going to be blown away. He'll out-kite you, fire precisely to de-track your tank without stopping, and light up your tank via repeated precise shots to engine or ammo rack.

Controllers are just not on the same level of speed and precision, and in a PvP game, that matters a lot. The decision to split the community is for everyone's benefit.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
if the image in OP is anything to go by its going to look worse than lowest PC settings it seems....

Shadow-Phoenix said:
your using false comparison. people of equal skill will ALWAYS do better with mouse and keyboard statistically. Amaterous PC users wipe the floor with pro console players because of that. heck, the top paid Xbox tournament player even invented a new technique of holding the controller so he would be able to "never stop aiming" while even a total newbie already has this advantage on PC. Mouse is factually superior when it comes to precision aiming. Only FPS battles that need to shoot precisely benefit greatly from this.

Charcharo said:
WoT is not a game where a gamepad will be that much worse then a keyboard and a mouse...
As for them being worse... there are bots that are better then 70% of the player base, so no, it won't matter.
If you are a low level noob perhaps. if you want to fight in high tiers or be actually able to penetrate your enemies where you can you need precision beyond that of controller.
and no, there are no bots that aim better than humans in game like this.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Charcharo said:
wombat_of_war said:
aww its seperate i was hoping to introduce some 360 users to high velocity rounds

It is aimed at a US audience... that is the reason for it being on the 360 at all.

Well, good luck console players. Really wanted to fight ya, but we all know seperating game communities is such a good idea...
It is, otherwise there'd be a lot of complaining when the PC players win every game. (Not because of some supposed superiority, but rather because you can aim a tank cannon a lot more precisely with a mouse)

Jun 11, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Glademaster said:
Charcharo said:
wombat_of_war said:

Leaving out of the best start nations is not a good idea. British tanks are a terrible line to start with pre 5 and Germans have a massive lull in power at tier 6 and early 7 upgrades. Also I'd imagine if it is aimed at US players they'd want to shoot at Russians as well as Germans. I mean at least Germans do have a good 1-5 as well as US both. Bar 1 or 2 tanks.
Same thing War Thunder is being accused of:

Russian Bias. Too noob friendly of a nation. In both games, perceived or real. Which sends US players running.

Especially after a "professional soldier who tests weapons for the government" called them out on inconsistencies in both WOT and WT in the forums.

People bought it and protested and had the game changed, even though his claims were shaky against both games. He kept going on about "USA standards" and "superior technology." I have a feeling people only made a stink about it because American weapons couldn't live up to hollywood's expectations of one hit kill machines with 100% accuracy.

I guess people want realism, until they get killed then they want everyone else nerfed to resemble the fantasy they hated in the first place. I wish this wasn't common to every game community.

The whining just destroys balance, and ruins games. Just like what happened to Planetside 2.
Well as far as I'm aware War Thunder is not meant to be realistic so they can pretty much do what they want as far as specs go. WoT is only historically accurate when it suits balance so inconsistencies like this shouldn't be a problm since it isn't part of the games ethos. Well in a realistic sense.

Also as far as balance goes many of better tanks per tier are US tanks in WoT at the moment especially, with the nation having an OP autoloader line. Only thing the Russian tanks do better than every other nation in WoT is big damage and overall armour. Americans have good all round stats while having amazing hulldown opportunities.

Anyway going with removing Russians it would have just been better to leave out the UK tanks since that line is going to be a complete newb trap and will likely put more people off the game. The US, Russian and to a lesser degree Germans are the best starter lines.

AuronFtw said:
Edit: This post is mostly relevant to PvP games, like shooters... and World of Tanks. Both sides (either 1 player, or 15 players) having a roughly equal chance to win is an important consideration when balancing for player versus player content. If it was a purely PvE game, then there wouldn't be any problem combining console and PC crowd, specifically for the reason you said; some people prefer controllers (although this is ignoring the fact that you can use controllers on PCs as well, making consoles and console releases mostly pointless). But when it comes to PvP, both sides need to be as equal as possible, and if you ever get into a 1v1 skirmish against a PC player and you're in a controller, you're just going to be blown away. He'll out-kite you, fire precisely to de-track your tank without stopping, and light up your tank via repeated precise shots to engine or ammo rack.

Controllers are just not on the same level of speed and precision, and in a PvP game, that matters a lot. The decision to split the community is for everyone's benefit.
I'm not sure how much you've played WoT but the matchmaking is terrible as far as balanced games go. There is skill based MM and just a general balance of tank power weighting. This lead to a ludicrous spread of tanks often enough.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Charcharo said:
Well, I most definItely am not even close to a low skill Or inexperienced player.
Positioning/tactics>>>>>>>>&#8805;>^2>>ability to aim quickly, which is even in high end meds not too demanding.
As for the bot part, read FTR
positioning is important, but if you cant hit the weakspots its meaningless as you'll just keep bouncing. and if you cant move and aim your pretty much dead meant with or against french tanks.

as for the bots i googled that blog and thats mostly grinding bot that is outsmarted by any decent planyer anyway. and lol at it aiming for "weakspots". that kind of bot woudl take a hell of a computer to run. it woudl essentialy need to scan the screen and aim based on what it sees. you know, something kinect is STILL unable to get right, and thats millions of dolalrs of investment.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Strazdas said:
Charcharo said:
Well, I most definItely am not even close to a low skill Or inexperienced player.
Positioning/tactics>>>>>>>>&#8805;>^2>>ability to aim quickly, which is even in high end meds not too demanding.
positioning is important, but if you cant hit the weakspots its meaningless as you'll just keep bouncing. and if you cant move and aim your pretty much dead meant with or against french tanks.

as for the bots i googled that blog and thats mostly grinding bot that is outsmarted by any decent planyer anyway. and lol at it aiming for "weakspots". that kind of bot woudl take a hell of a computer to run. it woudl essentialy need to scan the screen and aim based on what it sees. you know, something kinect is STILL unable to get right, and thats millions of dolalrs of investment.
Kinect is scanning an environment is had no control over, which exist in a totally different frame of reference. An in game bot is scanning an environment which it is integrally a part of, and inherently knows every pixel of what its looking at, instantly. But sure, lets compare a kinect scanning the real world, to a bot scanning its virtual world.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Charcharo said:
Strazdas said:
Charcharo said:

There are 100K people that may use that bot, so it ain't that demanding. And yeah, still better then a good amount of players...
I've had to play WoT qitg WASD and arrowkeys. Still did well enough, and that is much worse then a gamepad.

You ought to read FTR more, best news site for WoT and has some cool articles.
thats my point, the bot cant have total accurate precision to weakspots if so many people can run it. unless it really somehow hijacked the aiming mechanism controls from inside the game, in which case id say hire this man, hes better than your whole team.