World of Warcraft Director Tom Chilton is Moving to a New Blizzard Project

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
World of Warcraft Director Tom Chilton is Moving to a New Blizzard Project

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1355/1355835.jpgLong-time World of Warcraft game director Tom Chilton is moving on to an unnamed new project inside the company.

Tom Chilton is a familiar name on World of Warcraft's design team. He started out as a senior game designer in 2004, and was later promoted to game director, a position that he held until yesterday. That's when Chilton announced in a forum post [http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749706380] that he was leaving his long-held position for a new opportunity "Just down the hall."

Chilton wrote that "it's with a mix of excitement, sadness, and gratitude that I'm saying farewell to the WoW team and moving on to a new adventure within Blizzard." He doesn't mention what his "new adventure" will be, saying only that it's "another project within the company."

The vacancy left by Chilton's departure will be filled by Ion Hazzikostas, himself an eight-year veteran of the WoW team. Chilton said of Hazzikostas, "I know that WoW will be in great hands with Ion at the helm. He's been an integral part of the team for more than eight years and has contributed to so many aspects of the game's development-from class design to encounter design and nearly everything in between. He also has an amazing team at his side-the same epic crew that brought you all the content you're enjoying in Legion."

While the changes to the WoW team are interesting, I find the idea of a new, unnamed project inside Blizzard even more intriguing. Could it be that there's a WoW successor in the works, or is Chilton taking his skills to a new genre, or a completely new IP?

Whatever the answer might be, he's certainly leaving on a high note. World of Warcraft: Legion sold 3.3 million copies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168356-World-of-Warcraft-Legion-Sells-3-3-Million-Copies-on-Day-One-Matches-Previous-Expansions] on its launch day, matching the record set by the Cataclysm expansion.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Of all the guys they can remove or shuffle around or wind up leaving/retiring6, they can't get rid of fucking Holinka.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Warcraft 4 would be nice, but... yeah, no. Unless WoW dies, there won't be anymore standalone Warcraft games.

I hope it's a new IP, new single player IP I should say. I was excited for Overwatch (back when I rode the Hype Train), but no SP killed my interest in it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
My guess is on a Diablo project, whatever it is - we might find out at BlizzCon, but at the least, we know there is/or was a Diablo project being worked on. I can't see it being an MMO though, for reasons that everyone and their mother has already pointed out (competition with WoW, failure of Titan, etc.)

Aside from that, I can't rule out Warcraft IV being under development (since the possibility of it was at least acknowledged awhile back), but since Chilton's experience has lain with MMORPGs...well, it doesn't preclude being transferred to work on an RTS, but it doesn't seem like a natural fit outside sharing a universe.

Or maybe it's a new IP, in which case...um...well, yay?