World Of Warcraft Faces Zombie Invasion

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
World Of Warcraft Faces Zombie Invasion

The arrival of the Wrath of the Lich King [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] is being heralded by a zombie invasion - but it's the players themselves who are being turned into shambling undead.

Reports are "flooding in" about a zombie uprising in the game, caused by infected crates found in the town of Booty Bay. Argent Dawn [http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=265218] faction or by other players with the "Cure Disease" spell, or they become zombies, hostile to everything in the world except other undead. Players who are turned get a new zombie skill bar, along with the ability to spread the undead plague to other players, but once they join the legions of the undead, the only way out is death.

"You can no longer cast the spells/abilities that you had as a normal character, and formerly friendly NPCs now consider you an enemy. You can, however, cast new, unique zombie spells," Blizzard wrote in a "Zombie Infestation Survival Guide" [http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=11693660644&sid=1] posted on the World of Warcraft forums. "As a zombie, you are part of a special faction that is friendly with all zombies and can converse with them, regardless of whether they were part of the Horde or Alliance in their mortal existences."

The Argent Dawn healers have appeared throughout the World of Warcraft in response to the plague and will automatically heal nearby players, but some people still aren't terribly ominous-sounding [http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=11694180789&sid=1] message in the forums obliquely implying that situation could change.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
That zombie in the picture looks quite surprised at the whole thing.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
So if you get turned into a zombie, the only way out is to die or be healed. Aren't zombies already dead? How can you kill that which has no life? (10 points for those who get the reference)

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Amnestic post=7.74827.847746 said:
Its a 'OMFG, ARE THOSE SHOES ON SALE!?' kind of look. Seems like he needs them, at least.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
curlycrouton post=7.74827.847774 said:
EnzoHonda post=7.74827.847751 said:
How can you kill that which has no life? (10 points for those who get the reference)
South Park. Make Love, Not Warcraft
Excellent! Now for the 10 points... Hmm... It turns out that I can't give points. Damnit! Respect mah authoritah!

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Everyone is going zombie mad. A friend just told me that GTA4 is going to have zombies as it's 360 exclusive content, sound like BS to me, but he's been right before.

Sailor Tweek

Oct 23, 2008
I saw all these Zombies in Shatt last night and couldn't figure out what was going on! General chat exploded in torrents of "WTF" from other players. It was awesome.
Thank god my husband plays a pally. Hehehehehehe

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Dude, I don't play WoW, but this sounds kind of hilarious. I can see why folks would be pissed off, but it sounds pretty easy to cure. I wonder if they're friendly with Undead players from the Horde? Or just folks turned into zombies by the plague?

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
That Corrupted Blood -Incident sounds awesome. I've heard even scientists were interested from the player reaction to it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
That Corrupted Blood -Incident sounds awesome. I've heard even scientists were interested from the player reaction to it.
It was hilarious, I assure you. All those dead bodies...ah, 'twas a beautiful sight as General chat lit up like a sea of retarded fireworks. *wipes solitary tear from eye*

Melaisis post=7.74827.847764 said:
Its a 'OMFG, ARE THOSE SHOES ON SALE!?' kind of look. Seems like he needs them, at least.
"THOSE SHOES GIVE ME AN EXTRA TEN HEALTH REGEN PER BRAIN I EAT! MUST HAVE! THAT, AND THEY'RE ALSO FABULOUS DARLING!"

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
My friend was on and saw all of 'em in Shattrath thinking it was a raid. He killed a bunch and got spammed with tells of "WTF, why'd you do that?" He thought it was hilarious.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Lordshadow post=7.74827.847920 said:
WoW already has a zombie invasion, it's called "Its player base"
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL... you sir, are hilarious...

/sarcasm

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
LoL. I hadn't noticed. But yeah. :D

Volucer post=7.74827.847798 said:
Everyone is going zombie mad. A friend just told me that GTA4 is going to have zombies as it's 360 exclusive content, sound like BS to me, but he's been right before.
Actually, that is an awesome idea. I think that GTA would be a great engine to run a "city overrun by zombies - survival" kind of game.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Unknower post=7.74827.847886 said:
There were studies done in-game, as it was one of the few opportunities pathologists had to study a mass outbreak of easily communicable disease. The way people reacted to getting it was actually pretty insightful at first, but eventually degenerated into people spreading it for fun and hilarity.

Bronzebow

Aug 21, 2008
xitel post=7.74827.847818 said:
Dude, I don't play WoW, but this sounds kind of hilarious. I can see why folks would be pissed off, but it sounds pretty easy to cure. I wonder if they're friendly with Undead players from the Horde? Or just folks turned into zombies by the plague?
That's the neat thing, you become friendly with all scourge (the playable undead class are the Forsaken. The scourge are the mindless--and sometimes not--undead hordes controlled by the lich king). You can communicate and trade with the other faction as a zombie, and you can even go to certain instances and walk the whole instance as a zombie without being attacked.

One of the dev posts on the forums suggested that you could find new friends to talk to. We're still trying to figure out whether that means a secret quest you can only do as a zombie or that you can simply communicate in the Zombie language with horde and alliance.

This is going to be one awesome event!