World of Warcraft Hackers Kill Thousands in Minutes

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
scw55 said:
It's a massive inconvenience. You're wasting other player's time. It might be amusing but it's also a dick thing to do.

I don't know. It's like tying someone's car up with string so they can't get in. And the only way to get in is to cut the string. It's malicious.

Saying "It's not like we flooded the economy" is a weak excuse. It's like when being arrested for assault "It's not like I killed him".
--

There was an exploit which was legitimate which was hot fixed and was funny. But it harmed no one.

Get a Shaman with Fire Nova Totem. Place it on the floor. At about 1 second remaining, log out. This causes your totem to turn neutral upon detonation. This hurts all npcs in the radius.

If you were max level, this would 1 shot level 1s. You know those gold spammers that used to hang around the mailbox outside the bank? Sadly Blizzard didn't agree with players taking the gold spammers into their own hands and removed the exploit and suspended a few players.

Apparently some level 1 bank alts died in the war, but they shouldn't have been there to begin with.
I might be reading this wrong but did you just compare wasting a couple minutes of someone who is already just hanging out in the center of stormwind's time with assaulting someone?

I think the main part of the whole it's blizzards own fault and we shouldn't be banned stance is the fact that it's part of the game, it's an exploit or a glitch not a genuine hack or hostile take over or something like that and since it didn't cause any permanent damage it shouldn't result in a permanent punishment like being banned.

It's a lot closer to sitting at a street light on a busy street and constantly pushing the cross button so the light changes more often and holds up traffic than it is to something like assault since the only harm it ever really caused or even could cause is wasting a few minutes of someones time and society laid it out right in front of them to use in the first place. it's a prank not a crime and should be treated as such, maybe a couple of weeks suspension or something of the like.

on a side note blizzard themselves did something pretty akin to this during the whole deathwing event, he would randomly swoop down and kill you then mock you about it. the big difference was this was while you were actively DOING stuff meaning you weren't just sitting in the middle of the city waiting for shit to happen. ACTUALLY there was an event planned by blizzard that was even closer to this, right before the release of the burning crusade they had a giant demon attack stormwind and orgrimar that reportdly killed thousands of players.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
excalipoor said:
If they run back to their corpse and resurrect, they'll suffer no penalties, but will likely just die again. Resurrecting at a graveyard causes 25% (I think) durability damage to all your items, which at higher levels costs quite a bit to repair. You also get resurrection sickness for 10 minutes, which lowers all your stats and damage done by 75%. Then there's the fact that, paying a monthly fee to play the game, time is literally money.

I'm sure these guys had fun doing it, but harmless it wasn't.
I admit, I laughed when I saw the video. People are standing around in capital cities doing practically nothing - I fail to see how "time is money" when they're actively and inherently wasting it on a video game.

Unless you want to reinforce the stereotype that WoW is "serious business", this really isn't that big a deal. The image of the skeletons piling up in the towns is hilarious enough to warrant the comparatively minor loss of durability, and it does have roots (as mentioned above) in stunts Blizzard themselves has pulled in the past.

On the flipside, the hacker is an idiot for exposing himself, even on an exploit board. If your justification can't pass muster, don't say anything in the first place.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
I think it's funnier imagining those players with no sense of humor going "OMG this is NOT funny, they seriously hindered my experience and should be punished!!!11"

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Okay I was literally online while it was happening, a sea of corpses around my feet.

It WAS funny. Trade chat just about exploded from all the WTF.

But it is bannable. Expect no less.

BEHOLD, THE SEA OF DEATH:

Mangles69 said:
Why didn't anyone log on their Horde alt and just fly to SW and and kill them?

Or why not just tell people on Horde side about this, so that they could come over to SW and kill them 2....jeez not hard
As you can see above, we had problems too.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Couldn't care less about the game or what happens to the people with the exploit.

But my god, watching that video was pretty damn hilarious.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
crazyrabbits said:
I admit, I laughed when I saw the video. People are standing around in capital cities doing practically nothing - I fail to see how "time is money" when they're actively and inherently wasting it on a video game.

Unless you want to reinforce the stereotype that WoW is "serious business", this really isn't that big a deal. The image of the skeletons piling up in the towns is hilarious enough to warrant the comparatively minor loss of durability, and it does have roots (as mentioned above) in stunts Blizzard themselves has pulled in the past.

On the flipside, the hacker is an idiot for exposing himself, even on an exploit board. If your justification can't pass muster, don't say anything in the first place.
I can think of a few other things that are inherently worthless, that still require payment by the minute/hour/month/whatnot. You're paying for your time. Someone's wasting it. Someone not you.

You don't have to make it "serious business" to be mad at someone actively trying to ruin your night. And even then, there are ways to grief that don't involve breaking the game, if you're so inclined. Don't get me wrong: had I been there, I probably would've had a laugh about it. But an exploit is an exploit, and I think a ban is completely deserved here. I find it amazing that someone would pull shit like this and not expect it to have repercussions.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Fappy said:
*Takes out old man cane*

Back in my day you had to get creative to cause this kind of havoc on a server. Kids these days just push a button that kills everyone in sight. Hardly inspired.

*Thinks back to Paladin Bubble AIDs epidemic*
Yep and back then it was all the more sweet because rather than everyone just dying you got to see them scatter and run for their lives from the fuck-massive dragon you spent two and a half hours kiting to Ironforge/Orgrimmar. Or the huge-ass Demon Lord that you could kite from near the Dark Portal all the way to Stormwind.

It's kind of like how the Saw movies would be hardly as interesting if the victims had no chance to survive whatsoever. It's just like "Oh everyone dies, the end" and that's not fun.

Speaking of epidemics, I remember that one epidemic when Hunters could infect their pets with the plague from a ZG boss and hearth back to town and watch as it spread. THAT was funny, this would be annoying at best.

EDIT: Annnnd I just read the rest of the thread and wow some of you guys need to chill the fuck out. If there is ANY game where death is inconsequential at all, it is WoW. All you have to do is ask the Spirit Healer to revive you fail being able to run back to your corpse. You don't even lose much gold at all, if you're worried about 20-40g then you haven't done your weekly quests, you make half that off a single 5 minute quest.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Damn, i wish i would have been there
And last time i checked, even slightly bending the rules is enough to get permabanned, pretty funny if they beg for mercy

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Very nice greifing.

The justification is lame. They should be accepting that they're outright asses and reveling in the attention.

Anyone whining about this, the only ting lost was time. If this had been EQ or an older MMO and not been GM Deathtouch the repeated deaths would have caused massive exp loss totally thousands of man-hours of time lost while setting customer service on fire requiring a server reset.

It would have cause huge harm.... and WoW is so tame that it was completely rendered impossible to accomplish. There's a reason I stopped playing that game after less than six months.

Had it been it would have gone down with Lord British's assassination on UO and the greatest betrayals on Eve.

People whining about the death penalties, please, this is Wow. Be happy these people didn't have to start looking for their corpse in not only a pile of other peoples corpses but their own.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
People whining about people whining about wasted time, I'm sorry we're not all as hardcore as you.

Oh yeah! Griefing is against the WoW ToS too. That's two pretty major rules broken, hundreds/thousands of paying customers inconvenienced. How could you justify NOT banning these people?

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
Four hours to fix it?

Giant "meh". It could've been a lot worse, really. Four hours is nothing.

I've been hearing about it all over the General Discussion forums and to get some more light shed on it for me is good. I was wondering what the huge furor was over in the first place. I never saw any of it due to work.