World of Warcraft - Legion Review - Be Prepared!

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
World of Warcraft - Legion Review - Be Prepared!

World of Warcraft: Legion takes the game in a more single-player focused direction than ever before.

Read Full Article

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
The leveling experience might be better than it ever has been, but there are a fair number of people for whom the real meat is the endgame content.

Speaking as a former progression raider, I'm most interested in seeing how endgame PvE content plays out. I didn't raid very much in WoD (I got sick of messing with my Garrison very quickly), but I'm interested to see what kind of raids are in the game and what Blizzard has planned for the future.

I'll probably get it sooner or later, but I'm working two jobs and going to class. The last thing I need right now is to relapse and play WoW again.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
The solo leveling experience might be true, but people are pulling together at max level to tackle the infamous world quests and bosses.

I think that solo play that's bugging you might even out later, I've been so delighted to see people yelling over general chat about groups forming to take on difficult content so far.

Obviously time will tell with expansions, problems usually emerge later in the life cycle, but so far... feeling trepidly optimistic so far.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Be prepared?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmt45BF5SOM

Okay then.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Yes, his blades and ambitions are bared.

So, does this mean after a year give or take of patching in new content to follow, there will actually be a 'final boss' of World of Warcraft? Sargeras, probably?

...Huh. End of an age, man. End of an age.

Thank you, Blizzard. It's been fun... mostly.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
WhiteFangofWar said:

So, does this mean after a year give or take of patching in new content to follow, there will actually be a 'final boss' of World of Warcraft? Sargeras, probably?

I'd have thought Gul'dan would be the final boss of Legion. Sargeras seems like a better fit for an expansion based in the Twisting Nether and/or Argus.

And there's also the Void lords because...um...the Burning Legion just wasn't intimidating enough?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Hawki said:
WhiteFangofWar said:

I'd have thought Gul'dan would be the final boss of Legion. Sargeras seems like a better fit for an expansion based in the Twisting Nether and/or Argus.

And there's also the Void lords because...um...the Burning Legion just wasn't intimidating enough?
Sargeras is the ultimate evil of the warcraft universe. He's a corrupt titan, a literal god. He's on par with, or more powerful, than the beings who literally shaped Azeroth. Gul'dan is puny in comparison, but who knows what weird twists blizzard is gonna pull.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
WhiteFangofWar said:

I like the idea of the Void Lords because it also justifies the existance of the Old Gods.

So I guarrentee you the Void Lords are gonna look like Lovecraftian tenticled abominations but made of darkness and shadows.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Hawki said:
WhiteFangofWar said:

Gul dan is the final boss of the very first raid... so yeah... throwaway lore character.. just like hellscream and the other "warlords" (poor ner zhul... didnt even get his own raid... was finished off in a 5 man instance and bladefist was the first boss in the first raid... the final boss in that instance was some unknown ogre emperor that played absolutely no role in the story of WoD)

What should be mentioned and was somewhat missing from the review:

This is "Transformers: The cartoon Movie" in terms of bodycount. Lore characters are cut down left and right dying in the most horrible ways, being corrupted and having to be put down by the player or outright exploded... its.. brutal.

So if you have a certain waifu you might want to pray to the allmighty dev team that they didnt decide to kill him or her off.

Also this wont be the final expansion for WoW.. atleast according to blizzard.. wich we all know means as much as taking a look into the gypsy crystal ball. So yeah... i think it depends on how many people this expansion will bring back.

Oh and there is no true or meaningfull personal choice with artifact leveling.. you will eventually have enough artifact power to unlock everything.. so in the end its not really a choice.. you only get to decide wich things to unlock first. Just another content grinder hidden behind the illusion of "choice"

However storywise they are not holding back this time, lorenuts will definatly get a kick out of the fact that the player is much more engaged with the big names of the WoW verse then ever before. (that is until they get the axe to drive home how dire the situation is... despite the player as usual owning everything left and right and plowing a bloody path through everything the legion throws at them)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Seems like a good place to leave this:

Karadalis said:
So if you have a certain waifu you might want to pray to the allmighty dev team that they didnt decide to kill him or her off.
I'm calling it right now: Jaina's gonna be a raid boss somewhere in this expansion. :p

However storywise they are not holding back this time, lorenuts will definatly get a kick out of the fact that the player is much more engaged with the big names of the WoW verse then ever before. (that is until they get the axe to drive home how dire the situation is... despite the player as usual owning everything left and right and plowing a bloody path through everything the legion throws at them)
Don't know if you listened to the pre-launch "audio dramas" that Blizzard pointed out, but one of my favorite moments in them was Gul'dan contemplating what he should do. Even if he kills the two "big names" that he's fighting with...there will be more. Countless more. An entire world filled with crazy bastards that won't stop coming for him until he's dead. He's referring, of course, to the players. I thought it was neat how the players were actually considered in the lore as opposed to the lore just kinda happening around the player.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
This actually sounds like a WoW i want to play. Less MMO, more lore? Perfect. I think I'll pick this up next paycheck.

Question though, are the personal instances single player only? or is it like the GW2 stiry, where your party mate can also join in, but just kinda stands on the sidelines?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
EyeReaper said:
This actually sounds like a WoW i want to play. Less MMO, more lore? Perfect. I think I'll pick this up next paycheck.

Question though, are the personal instances single player only? or is it like the GW2 stiry, where your party mate can also join in, but just kinda stands on the sidelines?
I have the opposite reaction. Being in a "shared" space where there in no purpose need or motivation to interact with each other is some kind of mad psychological torture. Every little jolt back into remembering there's other players just serves to remind you that humanity wants nothing to do with you other than the value they can extract from you.

It's like crippling loneliness interrupted by an occasional Turing Test when something happens on trade chat (seriously, are those players humans or AI trying to fool you?)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Karadalis said:
This is "Transformers: The cartoon Movie" in terms of bodycount. Lore characters are cut down left and right dying in the most horrible ways, being corrupted and having to be put down by the player or outright exploded... its.. brutal.
Couldn't of put it better myself

when i saw
Vol'Jin in pain, and eventually being taken away
And When i had to kill
Ysera
I was quite shocked, such big names being taken out of the Lore, Glad they got good send offs though.

Still don't know how i feel about
Sylvanas Being War-Chief
though, that particular character has always seemed devious to me, and not as loyal or Honarable as Thrall or Vol'Jin. A trait that i believe kept the Horde from breaking up.

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
I can't really agree with the 'no longer an MMO' bit. Legion is probably the most MMO like feel WoW has been since classic. Questing around players is actually tolerable thanks to open taps on mobs, craft nodes, and (most) quest items. Elite world quests strongly encourage players to use the LFG tool to get a group together. And in case the lovefest is too much for you, Underbelly funnels players on crafting quests into a free-for-all pvp area clusterfuck. It's the most I've felt encourage to interact and work with players outside of instances in roughly a decade.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Adam Jensen said:
One of the biggest games on the planet. And I've never played it. Not once in my entire life.
I just now started playing it for the first time in my life like a week ago. I guess if Blizzard wanted to bring new people in with Legion, they got at least one.

Though Legion wasn't the reason I started playing; it was the result of years and years of friends chipping away at my defenses, this expansion was just convenient.

Eh, if WoW dies anytime soon[footnote]which I don't think it will just because they're tying up loose ends and running out of lore, they'll milk the cow until it dies and then use every part of the corpse.[/footnote], at least I didn't spend that much on it in the long run.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Karadalis said:
Hawki said:
WhiteFangofWar said:

Gul dan is the final boss of the very first raid... so yeah... throwaway lore character.. just like hellscream and the other "warlords" (poor ner zhul... didnt even get his own raid... was finished off in a 5 man instance and bladefist was the first boss in the first raid... the final boss in that instance was some unknown ogre emperor that played absolutely no role in the story of WoD)

What should be mentioned and was somewhat missing from the review:

Also this wont be the final expansion for WoW.. atleast according to blizzard.. wich we all know means as much as taking a look into the gypsy crystal ball. So yeah... i think it depends on how many people this expansion will bring back.

Oh and there is no true or meaningfull personal choice with artifact leveling.. you will eventually have enough artifact power to unlock everything.. so in the end its not really a choice.. you only get to decide wich things to unlock first. Just another content grinder hidden behind the illusion of "choice"

considering I know people who are wiping on first level mythic dungeons, who were downing mythic HFC like clockwork, I don't think guldan will go down that easily. as for final bosses for the expansion the current theories are;
1) dread lord possessing or posing as a well like lore character.
2) killjadin since we never actually killed him.
3) ashara former queen of the night elves and quite possibly the strongest "mortal" to ever walk azeroth