World Of Warcraft Movie Starts Filming Next Year

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
World Of Warcraft Movie Starts Filming Next Year

The World of Warcraft film adaptation is still a ways off, but at least now we have some idea of when Legendary Entertainment plans to film the thing.

Roughly five years ago, at Blizzcon 2008, I discussed the then-supposedly-upcoming World of Warcraft movie with Blizzard Entertainment president Mike Morhaime. He seemed very excited for the project and was quick to reassure me that the film would be both an accurate depiction of Blizzard's most popular virtual realm, and that it was very much coming to theaters soon.

It's now 2013, and at last report the film is slated for a 2015 release. How realistic is that? Depends on how much faith you have in director (and David Bowie progeny) Duncan Jones. According to new comments from producer Charles Roven, the film will start shooting in the first quarter of 2014, leaving Jones precious little time to put together the epic fantasy blockbuster.

Speaking with Slashfilm, Roven offered the following assurance, "First quarter 2014 we're going to shoot that movie. We're moving forward; obviously Legendary is making that film and I'm having a great time with Duncan."

So there you have it: Expect casting details, concept art and whatever else might properly hype fans to emerge throughout the entirety of 2014. It remains to be seen if this project can be filmed and completed in time for a 2015 debut, but we're still willing to give Roven, Jones et alia the benefit of the doubt. They've yet to show us anything worrying, so we're going to tentatively try optimism on this one.

Source: Slashfilm [http://www.slashfilm.com/legendary-plans-first-quarter-2014-shoot-for-warcraft/]

soitgoes19

Jul 8, 2012
I will be shocked if this ever makes it to theaters. The only thing that would surprise me more is the movie actually being good. I just can't imagine it ever escaping developmental hell

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
soitgoes19 said:
I will be shocked if this ever makes it to theaters. The only thing that would surprise me more is the movie actually being good. I just can't imagine it ever escaping developmental hell
I will have to agree. Even if this movie does end up being made it will take a miracle to make it any good :/

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Last time I checked, it only takes 2 months to make a low-budget indie, 6 months to make a romantic comedy, 1 year to make an action movie, and 2 years if your Peter Jackson. 1.5 years between filming and release is more than enough time to create a good film.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I for see this being filmed for a year then pushed back 3 years then canceled and never being seen. The only way this could be good is if its really meta, like they have to spend an hour spamming lfg.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
I really hope they're going for real WoW story and not some tired twist like the players get sucked into it and have to find a way out.
I hope it's based on WarCraft 3 plot and maybe a Frozen Throne sequel. Either that, or an original script.

I am looking forward to it despite being highly skeptical that they can make it work. And I only played WoW for about a year when it was released.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I really hope they're going for real WoW story and not some tired twist like the players get sucked into it and have to find a way out.
I hope it's based on WarCraft 3 plot and maybe a Frozen Throne sequel. Either that, or an original script.

I am looking forward to it despite being highly skeptical that they can make it work. And I only played WoW for about a year when it was released.
From what I know of the oldoldold stuff, the timeline takes place between Frozen Throne and WoW, how the conflict between the two factions got escalated again to a constant near-war. I imagine that would cover the creation of Darnassus as well, which would be very neat to see.

Either way, I agree. There's a couple of things I wouldn't mind seeing from WoW itself, but that would be hard to pull off without needing prior knowledge of what the story is about. The four year gap between the two games is a perfect place to show "well this happened".

OT:
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Kind of. I hope it ends up being made, but seeing a Blizzard anything in movie form makes me feel a little weird on the inside. Maybe it's because I'm attached to it, but that's just a guess whichever way I look at it.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
This is a very rare occasion were I would advocate a full CG movie similar to those RE CG films.

Just let Blizzard (or whichever branch in their company makes those fantastic CG sequences) make it, and it should actually be really fun to watch.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
piinyouri said:
Just let Blizzard (or whichever branch in their company makes those fantastic CG sequences) make it, and it should actually be really fun to watch.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If Blizzard put out a full-length CGI movie of the quality of their trailers, aliens would come from other dimensions to see it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I actually think Arthas' story is one of the most tragic ones in WoW and his progression into madness makes for a good movie adaptation. Of course theres so much going on in any part of the Warcraft lore that one movie couldn't contain all of it. Thrall/Jaina/Arthas/Sylvanas arcs, the rise of the Horde, the fall of Lordaeron... And thats just the Third war. There's also the Outland invasion... Too much to contemplate from source material.
I feel though it would ultimately fail if they try to stay true to lore. There's so much going on at any given point... Medivh's presence as a "narrator" voice over would be, IMO a given... just don't tap Morgan Freeman.
Director Uwe Boll contacted Blizzard about directing the film, but Blizzard refused. As quoted by MTV news Uwe Boll stated: "I got in contact with Paul Sams of Blizzard, and he said, 'We will not sell the movie rights, not to you... especially not to you. Because it's such a big online game success, maybe a bad movie would destroy that ongoing income, what the company has with it."
From IMDB

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
So is it going to be an animated film which could do well and actually be good or a live action movie which would likely be a horror show?

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
A warcraft film simply doesn't work, at least not in a way the fans will be pleased. There's way to much lore that's necessary to be known for the film to have any serious impact on the story.
Either that or you've had to play the game to get whats going on.

Soooo i assume the plot will play in the universe, but something completly new with some cameos from a few old guys.
Though since they started killing off every old character since WoW except for Thrall and Jaina there won't be alot left.

Alleria, Grom (or basically any old important orc character), Uther, Arthas & his father, Medivh, Illidan, basically every bad guy including nearly everyone of the Burning Legion, Dreadlords, Deathwing (and a bunch of good dragons as well), Mannoroth and many more are dead already.
Not to mention all the WC 1&2 characters who were already dead or got killed of in the books.

Or they go for something people can understand easily, so i'd say they'd go for Arthas and his descent into madness. Maybe trying to make it a trilogy? First the WC3 events, then TFT and lastly his defeat during Wotlk?

I dunno.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Now that WoW is loosing subscribers, is this really the best time to be making a WoW film? Or will the entire thing be a glorified advert?

Cause unless it is a strait to DvD (Or the Blizzstore) pile of shit, this will bleed money. I know Blizz coulld essentially buy Uganda these days, but it is still a total waste of money. Making a film that only nerds will watch is pointless. And I do not mean only nerds as in the "Iron Man" sense of the term, plenty more non-nerds loved those films.

But you have to be a special kind of nerd to think that a WoW film is a good idea. 5 years ago, when I played WoW, maybe. Now? I honestly would not see it. And I do not know many who would. And I am pretty sure that outside of the WoW playing demographic, there is VERY little interest in a WoW film.

I mean, its not like comic books (Never read any, fucking love super hero films). It is very different.

Next a new Dungeons and Dragons film will be released, followed by Asteroids: We are still totally relevant (Can make teh DnD joke, I am a DM.)

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Mr F. said:
Now that WoW is loosing subscribers, is this really the best time to be making a WoW film? Or will the entire thing be a glorified advert?

Cause unless it is a strait to DvD (Or the Blizzstore) pile of shit, this will bleed money. I know Blizz coulld essentially buy Uganda these days, but it is still a total waste of money. Making a film that only nerds will watch is pointless. And I do not mean only nerds as in the "Iron Man" sense of the term, plenty more non-nerds loved those films.

But you have to be a special kind of nerd to think that a WoW film is a good idea. 5 years ago, when I played WoW, maybe. Now? I honestly would not see it. And I do not know many who would. And I am pretty sure that outside of the WoW playing demographic, there is VERY little interest in a WoW film.

I mean, its not like comic books (Never read any, fucking love super hero films). It is very different.

Next a new Dungeons and Dragons film will be released, followed by Asteroids: We are still totally relevant (Can make teh DnD joke, I am a DM.)
That's funny. I know plenty of people who would watch this movie.

Yay for anecdotal evidence having very little actual bearing when talking about a multi-million MMO behemoth.

And just like a super hero film, this can be made right; the problem is that is hasn't been tried before.

And no, don't go "NYEH NYEH MORTAL KOMBAT PRINCE OF PERSIA NYEH NYEH".
There's no continuity in those films, nor real "lore", just style and thematic elements.

Just pointing out some things that seem to be very audience-oriented and don't really have much in terms of say before a film has any details at all. The direction they take it is what determines the success of the thing, most likely, along with the way they advertise it.

EDIT: THIS IS NOT TO SAY I'M NOT SKEPTICAL. I definitely am, but cautiously so. Expecting something terrible often leads to actually wanting something terrible for self-affirmation. And that's bad yo. Ain't nobody got time for dat.

And stuff.

(<3)

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I think WoW would make a better T.V Show. Might check out the movie when I see the trailers and possibly some reviews.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
*headshake* No. Nope. Can't see it happening and if it happens, can't see it being done well. I'll be happy if I'm wrong, but the timing is all off. This seems like it's not starting until after the pop-culture moment of WoW has started to wane. It'd take a writer and director of heroic calibur to translate what fans like into something even remotely watchable.

If it gets done, I'm thinking it's going to be of Ultramarines(2010) or Mutant Chronicles (2008) quality. Doom (2005) at best. Fans of WoW should probably cross their fingers and hope it doesn't get off the ground.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012

WoW stories work well ingame and bookform because the world, characters and setting are pretty well established and aditions can be made seamlessly. In a movie, you'd have to introduce the setting; the characters, both old and new; the world and circumstances, both previous ones and the ones happening due to the plot. If you're not going to do a story from the time zone of Warcrafts 1 or 2, there'd be too many things to explain for the movie to be concise without tons of exposition, Inception-quantity style.

Then again, I liked Inception. If the exposition was made in an interesting fashion (more than "As you know, The A happened because of the B" to someone else) or if the story was spread across more movies enough to not feel constricted, it could end up being a good experience.

I dunno anymore, but there're lots of "ifs" to expect the movie to do all of them right.