World of Warcraft Paid Level 90 Boost Will Cost $60

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
$60?!? That's insane! I really hope that this price is just a place holder because that is not worth it // $60 is four months sub and getting a character to 90 takes a lot less than four months so you're not getting your monies worth

-M

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
I can find quite a few things wrong with this, even if you class the boost as ok.

For a start, how is this supposed to get old players back? Personally, I'm discouraged from going back because the most recent expansion I have is Cataclysm. I'd have to buy the Pandara expansion as well as pay for a month's subscription to even get back into the game. I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay that much to level a character a little bit. I can imagine others are like that as well.

Also, shouldn't the price depend on what level you are?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So it is a flat fee for everyone? What if someone has a level 50 character they want to boost, still the same price as boosting a level 1? Seems a bit odd to me.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I just love how 90% of the complaints here are about the price...did MMO's just become all about endgame content? is there no-one out there anymore who actually enjoyed Deadmines or any of the other low/mid level dungeons?

This pissses me of mostly because it caters to the 'Endgame is All' crowd, which imo is a far more toxic attitude than 'Pay to Win'. Going from what they say, why bother with levelling at all?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
In other words, play the damn game or you have to pay for it a second time.

Kay.

I give no shits about this. It took me...what, less than 3 days to get a character to 70? And I wasn't even trying all that hard?

Only scam artists with credit card details or spoiled rich kids would even consider this an option.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Quellist said:
This pissses me of mostly because it caters to the 'Endgame is All' crowd, which imo is a far more toxic attitude than 'Pay to Win'. Going from what they say, why bother with levelling at all?
If you want to skip the leveling process and are prepared to pay $60 then do so. If not, don't.

I fail to see how giving people an OPTION is a bad thing. It's not as though they're taking away any of the leveling quests, gear, dungeon finders, flight paths, cheap mounts or anything else.

Level 90-100 isn't going to be something anyone can do without any thought process. It's a procedure that will force you to learn your class.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
MeChaNiZ3D said:
I always find it funny when a game treats skipping large parts of the game as a reward.
You've gotta understand, WoW is nearing a decade old this year. Everyone and their mother has leveled a character through it. ...Literally in my case. Awarding a character closer to the end game (as they are going to for all those purchasing WoD) is really all they've got to pull the most casual players back in, and end game is where the majority of the playerbase spend their time. Leveling, while great, is a temporary state. It's ALWAYS a temporary state, whether you've had an alt who's sat at level 60 for 8 years, one day...it's gonna end.

This is why Cataclysm failed in the long run quite spectacularly, there was a halved focus on end game, and what happened when the remarkably brief climb from 80 to 85 ended?

People were left trying to chew the extremely challenging dungeon and raid content and not left with much else. They gave up. They were disappointed, and left.

With Mists of Pandaria they went all out guns blazing on new content for all levels (pet battling) and mostly the end game (more world bosses, rares, daily content, progressive story patch to patch, easier raid access, scenarios, challenge mode dungeons) to do. And I feel like slowly more and more it's stemmed the flow of sub loss. It was like a bandaid. And has kept people interested despite the naysayers who believe that standing near a panda for 5 minutes will have them contract herpes. (Hell several of my guildies who left in cataclysm have now made triumphant returns)

WoW isn't a game that can be measured in it's leveling experience, because the hole at the bottom of the ride is waaay too vast and deep, you can't tell where a player will end up spending their time.

And look at it this way, that price tag is way too much for a starting player, they'll simply ignore it and just level.
If it's a returning player, they get a free 90 anyway. No harm no foul.
If it's a still playing player...well they'd have to have more money than sense since leveling a character to 90 is barely any time investment at all and alot of us enjoy the climb.
If it's the pro's? They'll probably pool together for a required alt as they always do, and the service is now open to them.

Edit:
Peace Frog said:
If your players want to pay to skip content, you're doing something wrong.
They don't. Everyone has done the content. EVERYONE. If you're a brand new player to WoW at this point you are a unicorn. And will likely level through it naturally anyway. Because that price tag is silly nuggets. Read above for more info on this.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Abomination said:
Quellist said:
If you want to skip the leveling process and are prepared to pay $60 then do so. If not, don't.

I fail to see how giving people an OPTION is a bad thing. It's not as though they're taking away any of the leveling quests, gear, dungeon finders, flight paths, cheap mounts or anything else.

Level 90-100 isn't going to be something anyone can do without any thought process. It's a procedure that will force you to learn your class.
Your class that you should have been learning from level 1...

How its a bad thing is it reduces the pool of players at lower levels, making it hard for the lowbies to find teams to do instances or simply level. If you have a sizable portion of your players skipping 90 levels those 90 levels are going to be less and less populated, pushing many who wouldnt have otherwise considered it toward buying that level skip simply to have more people to team with.

Wookie 1

Apr 3, 2010
Wait, so they've added a way to pay for you to skip the game? thats quite novel. Paying to get rid of most of the game is certainly a new spin on DLC that adds more game.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I'm not surprised at the price in the least. Especially not after noticing their pricing for everything from Battle Pets/Mounts to things like Race/Faction/Server Changes with lots of restrictions and few to no deals - For example, Server Transfers only allow up to a certain amount of gold to be transferred on a single character which is much, much lower than the amount of gold that can be held by a single character, someone who was looking to transfer servers with all their gold was looking at over £200.

As far as the actual service goes, paying to get into the current content - On the surface seems fine, with how dull the leveling process can be (Especially if you want to swap mains part way through an expansion) having the option to spend a bit of cash to get into current content a lot quicker (Since you'll only have to do WoD leveling and then you can start gearing for your Raids/PvP)

But, with how many complete noobs you'll find at max level already, who have no clue how to play their class - Allowing those people with more money than sense to get MORE characters to max level to utterly fail at playing them might make certain activities like LFD and LFR unbearable outside Wednesdays/Thursdays (When most good people are playing their mains so the groups tend to be significantly better)

Will I use this service?

Not a chance. Not only can I level 1-90 in less than a day at this point (Hooray for Heirlooms 45% Experience boost, Guild 10% Experience Boost, Elixir of Ancient Knowledge 300% Experience Boost and heavily nerfed Experience Requirements) but I also have all classes at relatively high levels, aside for some that I re-rolled multiple times.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
@Quellist That's just it though, with a price tag that high, you really think skipping the leveling process is going to be something anyone but the most dedicated raiders or pvpers are going to be doing anyway? Because I'm telling ya now, I'm not going to be. And no one I know except that one dude who implied his top 100+ ranked raiding guild might pool together for a few alts, would even bother.

Wookie 1 said:
Wait, so they've added a way to pay for you to skip the game? thats quite novel. Paying to get rid of most of the game is certainly a new spin on DLC that adds more game.
...Youuuuu don't understand quite where and why most WoW players spend their time...do ya. Well Blizzard's got a fairly good view and it's naaaught so much their leveling system.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Quellist said:
Abomination said:
Quellist said:

Your class that you should have been learning from level 1...
I don't see how there is any practical difference between learning a class at level 1 and learning a class at level 90. Being level 1 just drip feeds you your abilities and presents you with a lot easier enemies. 90 ups the tempo significantly, and at the same time if you're going to just buy a level 90 toon you probably have a rudimentary understanding of the mechanics of another class anyway and there's a lot similar between all classes in the game.

How its a bad thing is it reduces the pool of players at lower levels, making it hard for the lowbies to find teams to do instances or simply level. If you have a sizable portion of your players skipping 90 levels those 90 levels are going to be less and less populated, pushing many who wouldnt have otherwise considered it toward buying that level skip simply to have more people to team with.
Reduced number of players only affects leveling through dungeons, not through questing as there are next to no group-leveling quests anymore. There are also still dungeons at level 90-100 to level in and get experience there. The problems you are listing are either fabricated or you're exaggerating the effect this will have and assuming every man and his dog will fork out the $60.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
It's likely that the paid level 90 boosts will go live at the same time pre-orders open for Warlords of Dreanor (thus giving pre-order customers a free level 90 boost), which according to Blizzard will, of course, be "Soon™".
Which will be as soon Wildstar announces their release date so Blizzard can schedule their expansion within a two week window.

I have to say, this is one fucked up concept. Paying good money to skip shitty content that's blocking your path to fun which they made, messes with my brains.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
That's quite a big price for a 90 level boost.

I'd never pay for such a thing even if I had money and here's why: if you really want to play WoW then you gotta decide on which class you play and learn. Throughout the leveling from 1-90 you will learn your class and see the storyline of the game than just jump in blind at 90 and then go into Warlords of Draenor. WoW has had a lot of time to polish itself throughout the years and ever since Cataclysm hit the leveling will take even less time (I reckon around 1-2 weeks if you take it at a slow pace).

I don't even know why they are implementing this..oh wait..I know..Activision forced them to.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Abomination said:
I don't see how there is any practical difference between learning a class at level 1 and learning a class at level 90.
If you really believe that then i dont think we're ever going to agree on this...

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Hawkeye21 said:
Soooo... you buy the game, buy subscription, and then pay 60$ to NOT PLAY the game? Sounds very convenient. Can I pay 100$ and make someone else play it for me? I would login once a week and inspect my new items, stats and mounts.
Question, how many times have you played through your favourite game from beginning to end? 3-4 times? And then it began to get stale?
This Service is for those people that already have several characters at Max, got tired of playing said characters, but don't feel like doing the same quests they already did several times JUST to get their new Druid to level 90.

I know the feeling, at the time of writing I have 3 level 90 characters. A Paladin, a Warlock and a Priest. And I have over 5 characters around level 40-50. Why?
Because at that point I just get tired of leveling. I dislike the leveling content of TBC, and I already did WotLK content 3 times.
So, I rather pay a bit of money to have the Class insta level 90.

Personally, I think the price is rather high, but if others are willing to pay, thats good for them.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Quellist said:
Abomination said:
I don't see how there is any practical difference between learning a class at level 1 and learning a class at level 90.
If you really believe that then i dont think we're ever going to agree on this...
If you can explain how there's a specific skill or tactic taught to players sub 90 as they level that will not be revealed to players 90+ then I would be able to see things from your point of view. But since there isn't, and I've leveled 8 classes to 85+ and I have a monk in the mid 40s I'm leveling I can tell you I have first hand experience with the differences between learning gameplay at new content level and starting level - there is none.