World of Warcraft Paid Level 90 Boost Will Cost $60

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Halyah said:
So it's gonna cost 60 euro in the european countries in other words(since all companies think 1 dollar equals one euro because reasons and greed)? I was kinda hoping it wasn't this nuts, but it is their call. It comes across as stupid, but it is still their call.

I can also see plenty of reasons why someone might use this thing even at that price. At some point you've just seen the 1-90 grind so many times that you just can't make yourself to do it again. Outland especially is very dated and annoying to deal with nowadays even if the environment is still pretty to look at.

That said I got enough 90ies to not bother with this offer as it stands anytime soon.
Yeah... Because it is not like Euro is worth more than a dollar.
60? would be $82.5 according to my bank.
Now would an American pay over $82 for this service?
Because I can tell you that I won't dish almost 1/4th of my rent to level a character.

I think Blizzard is just testing out the waters on how much money they can bleed from people.

Well something positive... At least they didn't ask for 1? per level.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Quellist said:
Abomination said:
I don't see how there is any practical difference between learning a class at level 1 and learning a class at level 90.
If you really believe that then i dont think we're ever going to agree on this...
Lets be honest here. Besides a few moments learning your new character's spell effects. There really isn't that much difference between the classes that any player that has spend more than a reasonable amount of time at End Game can't grasp a new class at 90.

They know were to stand, where not to stand, they know the buffs and the general abilities of other classes. The only thing they don't know is rotation. And guess what, those are all explained on several sites along with a detailed guide. After doing 3 or 4 heroics you know enough to start adjusting it to your own liking.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Ohlookit said:
$60?!? That's insane! I really hope that this price is just a place holder because that is not worth it // $60 is four months sub and getting a character to 90 takes a lot less than four months so you're not getting your monies worth

-M
it is still cheaper, faster and more secure than power-leveling services, and people still use those.

i'm glad it is so expensive, it should deter many people who would have previously considered it, and that means there is a less chance of FotM rerollers.

it does make sense for the price to be so high though, it has to be cheaper than power-leveling, but it is also more expensive than actually leveling a character yourself. the thing is, as the goblins always say, 'time is money', and while reaching 90 would take maybe a month or so if leveling fairly quickly, that is still quite a few hours of gameplay to reach the level, it is just you're putting in more hours of the day.

i'm not saying i like the whole concept of it being introduced (while i liked the idea of a free 90 with WoD expansion, i think paying for the boost is a bit shit), but for those who would have turned to illegitimate means to get their 90 boosted anyway, this is at least a step forwards

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
This is disgusting. The whole point of an MMO is the journey of leveling a character; sure, it can be a huge hassle to fully level multiple characters, and then have to grind for the gear, but that's part of the experience. Paying to skip the largest chunks of the game is dumb, wrong, and shouldn't be encouraged.

But this will definitely make them a bundle, which also angers me, because now every MMO under the sun will have a similar feature.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Ranorak said:
Question, how many times have you played through your favourite game from beginning to end? 3-4 times? And then it began to get stale?
Maybe something needs to be done to said content, to make it less boring and more bearable. How can you justify a game that asks for 60$ to skip teh boring parts anyway?
Why do people even play WoW, I would never understand... I honestly tried to get into it, but I was just so mindbogglingly bored from hours 2 to 15

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
suitepee7 said:
Ohlookit said:
$60?!? That's insane! I really hope that this price is just a place holder because that is not worth it // $60 is four months sub and getting a character to 90 takes a lot less than four months so you're not getting your monies worth

-M
it is still cheaper, faster and more secure than power-leveling services, and people still use those.

i'm glad it is so expensive, it should deter many people who would have previously considered it, and that means there is a less chance of FotM rerollers.

it does make sense for the price to be so high though, it has to be cheaper than power-leveling, but it is also more expensive than actually leveling a character yourself. the thing is, as the goblins always say, 'time is money', and while reaching 90 would take maybe a month or so if leveling fairly quickly, that is still quite a few hours of gameplay to reach the level, it is just you're putting in more hours of the day.

i'm not saying i like the whole concept of it being introduced (while i liked the idea of a free 90 with WoD expansion, i think paying for the boost is a bit shit), but for those who would have turned to illegitimate means to get their 90 boosted anyway, this is at least a step forwards
Oh the fact that it's so expensive is a good thing otherwise everyone would use it (or be tempted to use it) but it's still insanely high a price & from a business standpoint it makes even less sense to have it that high cos less people will use it

-M

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
Eh, if you are going "Pay to Win", I'd rather the price be high enough to discourage it so I'm cool with this.
I'd hardly call it pay to win, it's simply pay to not play and get a shit end game character. Even with greens, you're still on the low end of the spectrum. Besides, they'd suck in PvP due to a lack of decent end game PvP gear, so that aspect isn't even affected, just PvE, and they'd only be passable on the basic dungeons, so even that is hardly that cheap.

OT: seems a fair price; it keeps out the people that the toxic communities seem to call casual(you'd have to buy up to mists to even use it, so you're well into hundreds of dollars at that point if you're just starting), but it does give those who have done the leveling a dozen times over a way to not have to re-level all over again.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
As someone who used to play WoW and enjoyed levelling other characters, the whole levelling process is basically the filler that keeps you paying month by month.
The idea of someone blazing through all the levels faster than the average player and then completing all the raid content, getting bored and unsubscribing is probably what brought on this price, by making the money that hypothetically would have been "lost" by fast levellers.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Still don't get the "Pay to Win" crowd. WoW has always been about the end game. Even all the way back in vanilla so please lets stop kidding ourselves. After 4 expansions and almost 10 years there is so much content to go through that giving the option to people to skip most of it seems fair enough. I've leveled 6 characters to 90 and I for sure don't want to do it again.

That said, $60 is a steep price tag. I was thinking maybe $25 that way I could finish off the rest of my classes I haven't maxed but now I will probably just do it with the one included in the expansion.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
people who want to skip the leveling, can do so already - power leveling.
You can but that. You can also buy gold.

Personally? Who gives a damn!

Ok, gold farming destroys the economy, and a bunch of people skipping leveling will probably as well (off top of my head - people buying mats for higher prices so they can level their professions)
But it doesnt really give any "real" advantage, other than time.

So in short - meh.

imperialwar

Jun 17, 2008
This to me just presents bait for the gold spammers to attempt to make a come back.
why pay $60 to blizzard when you can get 5 characters to 90 and a heap of gold to boot from the spammers
true enough they will later hack your account, but by then you wont give a damn anyway...

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I'm pretty sure there'll be more to it than this. They've also datamined a thing called a "Veteran Bonus" or something like that, basically if you boost a character that's higher than level 60 then all professions that character has will be maxed out too.

No way in hell they're gonna charge 60 quid for a 30 level boost.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Well, I have no interest in actually USING a service like this, and as such, it doesn't affect me at all.

But frankly, I have no beef with Blizzard implementing a system like this. If you want to use it, great. If you don't, great. I see no drawbacks for anyone. And there'll be plenty of players who don't use it, so there will STILL be plenty of players to quest with in the lower-level dungeons.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The amount of people in this thread that still think that levelling is a major part of the game astounds me.

While I do enjoy levelling, I see this price as a way to get the people with a lot of money to shell out in abundance. It's not going to be game breaking because not everyone will shell out that kinda money for it.

What I can gather from forums, YouTube comments, in-game and my own personal experience is it (usually) takes the average person 2 days playtime (give or take a few hours) to reach 90 as it is now.

The average AAA game lasts 8 hours.

£40 (converting it for my case)

40/8 = 5. You spend £5 an hour playing your new AAA game.

40/48 = 0.83r. You spend 83p for each hour you've skipped to reach 90.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Hawkeye21 said:
Ranorak said:
Question, how many times have you played through your favourite game from beginning to end? 3-4 times? And then it began to get stale?
Maybe something needs to be done to said content, to make it less boring and more bearable. How can you justify a game that asks for 60$ to skip teh boring parts anyway?
Why do people even play WoW, I would never understand... I honestly tried to get into it, but I was just so mindbogglingly bored from hours 2 to 15
Playing with friends.
I currently don't play any more. But once some new content is released I will probably pay for a month or two.
It's just having a good time with some friends. To me, at least, it's the same as going to a friend to play a classic board game (like, for example Risk).
Sure the game itself might be dull, outdated and luck based. But it's quality time with friends.

And yes, something could (and has been) done about the quality of the levelling areas and quests. But for me, the fun is in the raids and instances at end game. A lot of people don't think the leveling is boring. This feature is not for them.
Some people think 60 euro's is too much to justify the time saved. This feature is not for them.

Some people pay 20euro's for a Race change. Something that is essentially nothing but a change of appearance.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
It seems a bit like it's removing the point of itself... are they fully admitting that they know leveling that high is a pain in the ass? It's like selling a DLC for any other game which just creates an end-game, unlocked all content save file.

Having said that - I'd actually consider this if I were to ever play WoW. It would take less than 8 hours to earn that much cash in real life and buy yourself to level 90 but how many hours in-game of doing tedious shit repeatedly would it take to get the same result?