World of Warcraft Patch 6.2 Brings Your Garrison to The Tanaan Jungle

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
World of Warcraft Patch 6.2 Brings Your Garrison to The Tanaan Jungle

World of Warcraft's Patch 6.2 finally opens up the previously inaccessible Tanaan Jungle.

One of the most entertaining features of World of Warcraft's latest expansion pack: Warlords of Draenor was it's garrisons. An alternate to player-housing, garrisons gave players a chance to feel like they were actually making a difference in the world. Now, Blizzard has just outlined the changes coming in Patch 6.2, and uses the garrisons in a unique way to grant access to the previously inaccessible Tanaan Jungle.

To access the Jungle, where Gul'dan is twisting what remains of the Iron Horde into an army of fel orcs, you'll first have to build a shipyard at your garrison. You'll then progress through a series of quests in which you'll begin an assault on Tanaan by sea, and set up a new forward base hub.

Once you're new outpost is set up, it will become a daily quest hub a la the Firelands [http://www.wowwiki.com/Firelands] or the Timeless Isle, with seven distinct areas to explore. There will also be a new series of story quests that will take players through key locations such as the cave in which Kilrogg sacrificed his eye, and expand upon the main story of the game.

[gallery=4115]

The new patch will also include a new raid zone (Hellfire Citadel), a new dungeon difficulty (Mythic) and a new "Timewalking" dungeon queue [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/18710308/patch-62-preview-timewalking-4-14-2015] - which allows players to queue up for old-school dungeons, and appropriately de-levels their gear to make the challenge suitable.

You can check out most of the patch changes for yourself on Blizzard's Public Test Realm [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/18539917/62-ptr-patch-notes-april-29-4-29-2015].

Source: Blizzard [http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/18882366?page=1#1]

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
One of the most entertaining features of World of Warcraft's latest expansion pack: Warlords of Draenor was it's garrisons.
If by entertaining you mean one of the worst things they've ever introduced to the game. It's lonely, monotonous, destroys any semblance of community, and to top it all off it's grindy and tedious.

There is literally nothing good about Garrisons as they're currently implemented. The fact that they're expanding further on them is mind-bogglingly stupid.

It's a shame too, because with just a handful of major changes they could have been a great feature, most notably making them either account or guild-bound instead of character so that they weren't so repetitive and soul-destroying for players with multiple characters.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Steven Bogos said:
One of the most entertaining features of World of Warcraft's latest expansion pack: Warlords of Draenor was it's garrisons.
If by entertaining you mean one of the worst things they've ever introduced to the game. It's lonely, monotonous, destroys any semblance of community, and to top it all off it's grindy and tedious.

There is literally nothing good about Garrisons as they're currently implemented. The fact that they're expanding further on them is mind-bogglingly stupid.

It's a shame too, because with just a handful of major changes they could have been a great feature, most notably making them either account or guild-bound instead of character so that they weren't so repetitive and soul-destroying for players with multiple characters.
Agreed. Garrisons would have been greatly improved had they been a community project. If Garrisons were shared amongst guild members, it would have been one of the greatest additions to any MMO to date. Like a real Guild Hall where players could work together as a guild to get all the resources and buildings up and running.

I consider Garrisons to be the greatest missed opportunity in recent MMO history because the mechanics were there and the possibilities were obvious, but Blizzard really screwed to pooch on this one.

At least the new Raid Tier in Hellfire Citadel is looking quite nice. Iron Reaver is an awesome, stylish fight with plenty of nostalgia factor for BC players. Then you have bosses like Gorefiend which is a nice new take on an old character.
Garrisons aside, the new patch is looking to be a fun one with plenty of new content and plenty of old content being reinvigorated. Can't complain overall.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
You guys really shouldn't rage on the garrison! Free to play games are sooo popular these days! So we totally need those shitty mechanics in a subscription game too!

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Steven Bogos said:

Seconded.

It's just a chore to maintain, having to deal with work orders, gearing your followers and sending them on missions. I can't personally decide whether or not I want to continue dealing with it and just sticking with raiding.

But one thing's for sure, I won't be bothering with it on my alts. I'll upgrade the Garrison to level 3 for the portal to Ashran, but that's it.

Also, Shattered Halls is gonna be a Timewalking instance? I can hear the complaints about it already...

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
SlumlordThanatos said:
Seconded.

It's just a chore to maintain, having to deal with work orders, gearing your followers and sending them on missions. I can't personally decide whether or not I want to continue dealing with it and just sticking with raiding.

But one thing's for sure, I won't be bothering with it on my alts. I'll upgrade the Garrison to level 3 for the portal to Ashran, but that's it.

Also, Shattered Halls is gonna be a Timewalking instance? I can hear the complaints about it already...
I've had a chance to try the Timewalking dungeons and this I can guarantee you, WoW is not the same game as it was in BC. The dungeons are not hard. Shattered halls was a breeze. New class mechanics and gameflow trivializes the older instances. They're about as difficult as a normal dungeon you outlevel by 5 or so levels. So don't panic about the difficulty.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
VanQ said:
I've had a chance to try the Timewalking dungeons and this I can guarantee you, WoW is not the same game as it was in BC. The dungeons are not hard. Shattered halls was a breeze. New class mechanics and gameflow trivializes the older instances. They're about as difficult as a normal dungeon you outlevel by 5 or so levels. So don't panic about the difficulty.
Then again, there's more difficulty levels and optional challenges that make the dungeons a lot harder if you want to get them all. I always supported Blizzard's decision to basically implement difficulty modes like in your average singleplayer game. It gives everyone access to a more tailored experiences, to experience all the content however they wish.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Steven Bogos said:

I thought of it being tedious too, but I look at the older expansions and the mechanisms and I rather have a garrison to play with then the boring grind of daily reputation quests it replaced in this expansion. All in all, it is actually much less time consuming then the quests it replaced. Do you really want to go back to Pandaria's rep grinding? They put in stuff to speed that up for alts because it was so bad.

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
Baldr said:
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Steven Bogos said:

I thought of it being tedious too, but I look at the older expansions and the mechanisms and I rather have a garrison to play with then the boring grind of daily reputation quests it replaced in this expansion. All in all, it is actually much less time consuming then the quests it replaced. Do you really want to go back to Pandaria's rep grinding? They put in stuff to speed that up for alts because it was so bad.
Yes we do want the panadaria rep grinding. Time consuming is good its a game thats the primary focus of a game.

The whole issue with the garison is its a mindless chore that has no thinking process involved and it being passive gameplay which is bad by design. Dailies required you to go out in the world and do something. Garrisons require you to afk and sit around isolated which is just poor game design.

As far as all the new dungeon stuff goes:

Mythic dungeons are a joke they're just scaled up versions of heroic version and they're already way too easy.
Timewalking is too easy but that may be a scaling issue
New raid sucks. We 2 healed every encounter they've released so far and there isn't enough interesting mechanics for me to honestly recommend resubbing for this patch

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Has it turned into a singplayer subscription game yet? I feel that's all Blizzard's been aiming for since TBC.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
*shrug* the three garrisons I have are paying my sub now. I may not like them all that much but hell, now I have a system they don't bother me really, I still go out and do things in the world, I figure if you're not being sociable in game, that's not the garrisons fault, that's yours.

So many whiners sit in their garrison and complain about not having anything to do when they sit on over 500 things they've yet to achieve quite comfortably and could drag a friend on an expedition of fun to complete.

Raidings been okay so far...I think Mists of Pandaria had slightly better encounters so far but then I was never a fan of orc aesthetic. And pulling this right after the Siege Orgrimmar was a serious lapse in judgement, this 'SPIKES! FIRE AND METAL!' look, is getting pretty stale.

I'll see what's announced after blizzcon this year, but I think I might be pulling out of WoW for a while if Hellfire Citadel fails to live up to expectations.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Garrison's as they are are kinda lame. It's a neat means of giving casual players like myself a few options and a little something to do, but the customization options and just general 'fun factor' aren't exactly great. Still it's a neat idea I'd like to see iterated upon and improved in future expansions.

My favourite idea? A South Seas expansion where your 'garrison' is a ship with the companions acting as crew-members and with the ability to customize the ship according to your race and reputations so you can have a massive Night-Elf battleship or spiky Orc Juggernaut. You'd be able to travel to different quest zones with your ship acting as a mobile hub, and if I'm really dreaming big here, maybe even challenge other ships and fight monsters aboard your ship. Fighting off boarding parties, tacking a nasty Kraken trying to sink the ship, racing against other players, or even having pvp encounters where you're fighting ship vs ship and even boarding other players ships.

Now that would be cool.

Also Tanaan looks pretty cool I guess.

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
Charli said:
*shrug* the three garrisons I have are paying my sub now. I may not like them all that much but hell, now I have a system they don't bother me really, I still go out and do things in the world, I figure if you're not being sociable in game, that's not the garrisons fault, that's yours.

So many whiners sit in their garrison and complain about not having anything to do when they sit on over 500 things they've yet to achieve quite comfortably and could drag a friend on an expedition of fun to complete.

Raidings been okay so far...I think Mists of Pandaria had slightly better encounters so far but then I was never a fan of orc aesthetic. And pulling this right after the Siege Orgrimmar was a serious lapse in judgement, this 'SPIKES! FIRE AND METAL!' look, is getting pretty stale.

I'll see what's announced after blizzcon this year, but I think I might be pulling out of WoW for a while if Hellfire Citadel fails to live up to expectations.
Out of interest what current content is there to do at max level? Rep grinding takes a day as does the treasure hunting. Once you do both of them there isn't anything to do since everything is tied to the garrison. Old content doesn't really work as an argument because people like me who have played constantly for 10 years have already done it and PVP is really poorly balanced due to Blizzards refusal to separate PVE and PVP balance.

From a healer point of view heroic HFC is very very disappointing. The first boss is a 7 minute afk fest that has no way to speed it up and hasn't got any mechanics to it other than cleave mobs and interrupt if you want to bore your healers. nearly every other boss has no mechanics that force healers to do anything so pretty much every mythic guild has been running 2 healers and I know some guilds that have solo healed a few bosses in a 20 man raid which is really poor.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Nimcha said:
Has it turned into a singplayer subscription game yet? I feel that's all Blizzard's been aiming for since TBC.
I don't know, I stopped playing during the Thunderking patch in pandaria so it's been a good while. Final Fantasy XIV ARR at the moment is more interesting than WoW. Well, that and Path of Exile.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Shit. Every time I get away, Blizzard just tries to pull me back. I really want to try Timewalking dungeons. And I've been having so much fun with SWTOR...

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
gonenow3 said:
Charli said:

Out of interest what current content is there to do at max level? Rep grinding takes a day as does the treasure hunting. Once you do both of them there isn't anything to do since everything is tied to the garrison. Old content doesn't really work as an argument because people like me who have played constantly for 10 years have already done it and PVP is really poorly balanced due to Blizzards refusal to separate PVE and PVP balance.

From a healer point of view heroic HFC is very very disappointing. The first boss is a 7 minute afk fest that has no way to speed it up and hasn't got any mechanics to it other than cleave mobs and interrupt if you want to bore your healers. nearly every other boss has no mechanics that force healers to do anything so pretty much every mythic guild has been running 2 healers and I know some guilds that have solo healed a few bosses in a 20 man raid which is really poor.
*cracks knuckles* Okay here we GO

There are mounts to collect in every zone.
Archaeology has some neat rewards if you try.
World achievements in the Apexis quest zones, got em?
I can't do much about your distaste for PvP. It's unbalanced, we know, it's been 10 years, have you not accepted it?
Done challenge modes yet?
Done the dungeon achievements yet? (I saw solis, might induce eating of keyboards)
Alts are a project that many people want to invest time in.
Old content doesn't work? You sure? You got all the collected pets, music and old legendary quest achievements? I work on Shadowmourne on my alts on principal. I enjoy it.
Are you really judging the milestones of the HFC through the test realm at least numbers wise? The first 1-2 bosses were always boring for healers, they're the entry level bosses, I healed for 6 years til I finally proved I was just as good at dps, I know the drill by now. There's no way this'll be 2 healed on mythic on live, And also if you're looking for some action in the PvE side of things, healing is the worst path to tread.

Gruul and Oregorger are boring as shit for healers too. Doesn't mean the fun doesn't ramp up in the Furnace or the fustercluck that is Thomas the Tank eng- I mean Thogar.

WoW is a big game, but you sound like you don't even enjoy 2/3's of it anyway, so asking me 'what is there to do', while shaking your head at the suggestions before I even make them is fruitless. I make my own enjoyment through collecting my brother and best friend on skype and having some fun doing a thing. Doesn't matter what the thing is, if we haven't achieved it, we'll try it.

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
Charli said:
gonenow3 said:
Charli said:

I can't do much about your distaste for PvP. It's unbalanced, we know, it's been 10 years, have you not accepted it?
Done the dungeon achievements yet? (I saw solis, might induce eating of keyboards)
Old content doesn't work? You sure? You got all the collected pets, music and old legendary quest achievements? I work on Shadowmourne on my alts on principal. I enjoy it.
Are you really judging the milestones of the HFC through the test realm at least numbers wise? The first 1-2 bosses were always boring for healers, they're the entry level bosses, I healed for 6 years til I finally proved I was just as good at dps, I know the drill by now. There's no way this'll be 2 healed on mythic on live, And also if you're looking for some action in the PvE side of things, healing is the worst path to tread.

Gruul and Oregorger are boring as shit for healers too. Doesn't mean the fun doesn't ramp up in the Furnace or the fustercluck that is Thomas the Tank eng- I mean Thogar.

WoW is a big game, but you sound like you don't even enjoy 2/3's of it anyway, so asking me 'what is there to do', while shaking your head at the suggestions before I even make them is fruitless. I make my own enjoyment through collecting my brother and best friend on skype and having some fun doing a thing. Doesn't matter what the thing is, if we haven't achieved it, we'll try it.
Got all the mounts while leveling alts
Archaeology took me 3-4 weeks but it got done
World achievements are the quickest to do on your list.
Challenge modes are a joke hence most people 4 man them and get all golds (BTW if you ever need a boost we do it for 120k gold and it takes 3 hours or so to do)
Dungeon achievements took a week but thats because our tank couldn't play much back before highmaul got released
Alts take less time to do as each expansion hits. Roughly 3-4 days or so to go from 90-100 and then you stay in your garrison and spam LFR.
Personally I have no real desire to do shadowourne for the third time having 11 characters at 100 not all of them are equally loved.
I play the AH so yeah I have all the pets / mounts that aren't linked to the BMAH / TCG right now.

I'd say all the content you listed comes up to a month - two of playtime at best and we're nearly 6 months into this expansion.

Have you actually done mythic raiding? Oregorger / Grull are the fun bosses for healers while Blast furnace / Iron maidens / flamebender / thogar are really boring. The issue with the HFC fights is from a mechanic PoV not a numbers one. It doesn't matter how hard these abilities hit the fights will still be boring because no damage will be coming through.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
gonenow3 said:
Charli said:
gonenow3 said:
Charli said:

Challenge modes are a joke hence most people 4 man them and get all golds (BTW if you ever need a boost we do it for 120k gold and it takes 3 hours or so to do)
Dungeon achievements took a week but thats because our tank couldn't play much back before highmaul got released
Alts take less time to do as each expansion hits. Roughly 3-4 days or so to go from 90-100 and then you stay in your garrison and spam LFR.
Personally I have no real desire to do shadowourne for the third time having 11 characters at 100 not all of them are equally loved.
I play the AH so yeah I have all the pets / mounts that aren't linked to the BMAH / TCG right now.

I'd say all the content you listed comes up to a month - two of playtime at best and we're nearly 6 months into this expansion.

Have you actually done mythic raiding? Oregorger / Grull are the fun bosses for healers while Blast furnace / Iron maidens / flamebender / thogar are really boring. The issue with the HFC fights is from a mechanic PoV not a numbers one. It doesn't matter how hard these abilities hit the fights will still be boring because no damage will be coming through.
I don't know how anyone can have fun healing a 'flat damage/cooldown' fight but that's your prerogative. For most people that is not two months of game time, that's 4-5 months easily. Challenge modes are actually challenging to them, and to me it sounds like you play far too much to wring any enjoyment out of the affair anymore. Yes I raid mythic, but frankly healing was always boring to me so I can't comment on what you find fun. Iron maidens are boring I'll agree on that one. The other two no.

A few hours/days a night is enough to stunt the flow of content for me, I think if you've done all that already you need a break or another game to play. Raiding fills up a large quotant of my play time and I get any other achievements done on the weekend, with a couple of hours set aside for challenge mode.

To me it sounds like you drink your WoW a bit too fast. I've been aware of consuming content too fast since Cataclysm and I swore to never again do that and try to enjoy things a bit slower. If you cannot, then you need to get off WoW for a while, no amount of content that thousands of people provide is going to sate you long enough.

Maybe try FF14, I hear that has some interesting end game.

I bolded the relevant sentence, all this 'well I did everything' only tells me that you play to a standard reached by only 0.1% of WoW's total playerbase, and they're not going to be able to meet your expectations anymore.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
gonenow3 said:

It sounds like you've burned out on the game, man. You really should consider other ways to spend your time and money if you're this bored. Failing that, have you tried a different role? You can get a surprising amount of enjoyment out of jumping out of your comfort zone and learning something new. For example, I played a Warlock since BC all the way until the current tier, where I was main switched to Ret Paladin. At first I was against the idea, but after spending most of BRF learning the ropes as a melee DPS when I've always been ranged in raids was a lot of fun. I admit that I do miss being able to switch specs between fights but it has been enjoyable to experience content from a different perspective.

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
VanQ said:
gonenow3 said:

It sounds like you've burned out on the game, man. You really should consider other ways to spend your time and money if you're this bored. Failing that, have you tried a different role? You can get a surprising amount of enjoyment out of jumping out of your comfort zone and learning something new. For example, I played a Warlock since BC all the way until the current tier, where I was main switched to Ret Paladin. At first I was against the idea, but after spending most of BRF learning the ropes as a melee DPS when I've always been ranged in raids was a lot of fun. I admit that I do miss being able to switch specs between fights but it has been enjoyable to experience content from a different perspective.
I'm the guild's disc priest and I also run monk DPS on our B team so its not as if I don't play two roles its just if you've seen one cleave fight / single target fight you've seen them all as far as DPS goes. I still find enjoyment doing the mythic rush to realm first and killing bosses with guild mates its just disappointing that from a world point of view there isn't as much as pandaria / cata / wrath.

Charli said:
gonenow3 said:
Charli said:
gonenow3 said:
Charli said:

I don't know how anyone can have fun healing a 'flat damage/cooldown' fight but that's your prerogative.
The issue is the alternative to those flat damage / cooldown fights like grull / oregorger/ kromog is no damage fights like flamebender / maidens / Thogar where there is no damage happening unless someone fucks up with the occasional 3 min cd popped to get you through the "big healing" phases.