World of Warcraft Pet Donates $2.3 Million to Charity

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
World of Warcraft Pet Donates $2.3 Million to Charity

Victims of Hurricane Sandy will be getting a very welcome donation, thanks to this fiery feline.

The humble Cinder Kitten [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120578-World-of-Warcrafts-Cinder-Kitten-Benefits-Hurricane-Sandy-Relief] - only $10 a pop - is a wildly successful charity hit and, as a result, victims of Hurricane Sandy will be getting the benefit from the $2.3 million sales proceeds this World of Warcraft pet raised.

"Thanks again to everyone who helped make a difference," said Blizzard in a blog post. [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8376066/] Blizzard refused to take a cut of the Kitten proceeds, promising instead to give 100% of the money raised to the Red Cross' efforts to help Sandy victims. Kitten sales up to December 31st 2012 were included in the charity pot.

Just remember, pet owners: replacement fingers can be hard to come by, so always wear gloves when grooming little Cinder!

Source: Gamesindustry International [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-14-blizzard-raises-USD2-3m-for-sandy-survivors]

Kirov Reporting

Jan 12, 2013
Wow, not a bad haul.. And a nice marriage of in-game content and real world impact.

Inevitable cynicism about the self-promotion or whatever aside, this is nice to see.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Almost want to go back to the game for the kitten. I was a pretty enthusiastic mini-pet collector back when I played. I stopped caring when they started releasing mini-pets for real cash though. On second thought, I don't feel like going back to WoW after all.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
The good corperation still exsists even along side the Activition part. But yay for disposable income and good coming from gaming.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
VanQQisH said:
Almost want to go back to the game for the kitten. I was a pretty enthusiastic mini-pet collector back when I played. I stopped caring when they started releasing mini-pets for real cash though. On second thought, I don't feel like going back to WoW after all.
The pokemon esque mini pet system would destroy your life like it has my friend. Run. Run away.
(I kid, but he's taken pet collecting to a very frighting level)

Nice work, feels good for something like that to make a difference, Blizzard didn't take any cuts in the sales, it all went from pockets to the charity. And those who did get the pet get an adorable buddy to follow them around/battle with.

Not much you can really say to this other than a thumbs up.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
"Blizzard sucks, greedy bastards, blablabla"

Kudoes, another big donation from blizzard to the charity.

Just like that time when they let a Make-A-wish boy design his own quest.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
Ranorak said:
Actually, it was a donation from the players to charity. Blizzard could have easily afforded $2.3 million out of their own pockets. I'm not saying they didn't do a good thing. But let's not upplay it. (Is that a word? I'm making it a word. "Upplay: The opposite of "downplay".) They didn't donate the money themselves out of the profits they'd already had. They created a nifty pet players could buy to create more profit so they could donate without digging into their existing money pile.

Again, not saying it wasn't a good thing, and I hope this post doesn't come off as rude. But if we're being objective about it, it's not much of a sacrifice on Blizzard's part.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Belated said:
Ranorak said:
Actually, it was a donation from the players to charity. Blizzard could have easily afforded $2.3 million out of their own pockets. I'm not saying they didn't do a good thing. But let's not upplay it. (Is that a word? I'm making it a word. "Upplay: The opposite of "downplay".) They didn't donate the money themselves out of the profits they'd already had. They created a nifty pet players could buy to create more profit so they could donate without digging into their existing money pile.

Again, not saying it wasn't a good thing, and I hope this post doesn't come off as rude. But if we're being objective about it, it's not much of a sacrifice on Blizzard's part.
True, but this is not the first time that blizzard has gifted to charities.
And if it takes a digital pet for players to donate, then providing that push is on it's own a good act.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
They are basically giving their own money though, since the cinder kitten could have easily been a normal pet that they would have sold for normal reasons. A kitten that is on fire does not need much marketing.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Belated said:
Ranorak said:

It was a donation from players true. However it is also quite true that if Blizzard had wanted to they could have easily sold this pet for 100% profit instead of donatin 100% of the proceeds to charity.

Its also not the first time they've done this. When the pet store first launched 2 of the 3 pets you could buy were donation pets that gave most of their money to...to...uh, who was it. Some charity, think it had to do with food?

They also released a pet after the japan disaster where 100% of the money went to charity. That means of the 9 pets you can buy for real money, 4 of them were created as a way to give to charity. That's almost half.