World of Warcraft Players Could Be Homeless Forever

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Scorched_Cascade said:
You have to wonder what all the NPCs think of the millions of people that apparently just fall down and sleep in the middle of the street.

They go out and kill legendary monsters and have enough gold to build the theoretical phallus monument yet they just up and kip in the gutter. Why have the orphans not robbed them blind?

Makes me wonder if any of the Mayors have "reduce homelessness and vagrancy" as their campaign platform.
You know, there was one Mayor that had that platform. I seem to remeber him disapearing mysteriously after a meeting with the local raid party though. No one's really tried it since.

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
Housing shouldn't be in game. Housing should be a web interface that you can access in game, and access when you're not in game.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Everquest II and LotRO have housing (to name the ones I'm most familiar with), and while it serves a purpose for a fairly small percentage of the playerbase who likes to decorate and hang out there, everyone else just uses it for extra bank storage. I can't see Blizzard wanting to dedicate resources to housing now, especially with the age of the game and the amount of effort required to appease a minority of players.

Perhaps when their 'mind-blowing' new MMO is out and WoW needs to find new features to draw in new players or old ones that have moved on, they'll consider it.

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
best option-
Player housing could be implemented...
if you added Player Seige...

you can build a small hut on a hill, but at the same time an opposing faction player can walk up that hill with a burning stick and level your little slice of home.

so to protect your house and home, you buy a couple guards, so just one guy can't ruin your home.

but then that guy gets a couple of friends... kills the guards and burns down your home any ways.

well then, you go build your house next to some other people, so the collective might every ones guards thwarts any raiders. that is the start of a town.

well, then those guys get together and build a Seige Machine. and turn your town into a crater.

so the town now bands together. pools their resource and erects city walls. making seiging harder. now you have the start of a city...

things just keep going back and forth and escilating... then all of a sudden, This seige turns into something like a raid on one of the capital cities. These huge population centers ran mostly by players can then ration out their resources so that they can protect players houses on out laying territory. Provide special city level benifits such as town portals, profession trainers, and vendors. all of this for a fee of course.

of course, this can also lead to more ingenious and insidious solutions as to 'not get your stuff destroyed'.... instead of building a house on a hill, you fit a couple balloons to it and have a floating house zeplin style... build it underneath the hill like a dwarf... or in a diffrent demension all together.

Sep 17, 2009
I honestly like the idea of traveling from inn to inn much better. It made me feel more rustic and adventurous when I played. But the pvp idea is cool.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Wow, what a big fat waste of time. There is no way they could institute a way for 12 million people to have an individual place to stay. It would have to be the size of New York city, almost.

Bender Rodriguez

Sep 2, 2010
Would be nice to have a little house in the hills of Ironforge and Dun Morogh.

Abit like the hermit living there, but i guess there would be limited room.

Valdrec

Jan 18, 2011
Personally, I think the point is that you lived in the starting areas. When you're constantly on the move in the adventuring world, fighting monsters and stuff, you have to sleep out where you are.
An example of this in the real world, is a soldier, they need to be out on the front line, in camps and bases. They don't take a helicopter all the way back to their house every night.

Blizzard are right to say there's no gameplay element to it, I would go as far to say it's closer to breaking the gameplay then advancing it.
The game isn't supposed to be about personalisation and interaction (at least, not in that way) otherwise you'd be able to do all the ridiclous sims stuff like adjust your eyebrows.

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
I think there are a lot of things they tie in with Guild housing, especially now that there are guild levels. Off the top of my head:
1. Teleport to guild hall.
2. Crafting "special" decorations, some of which may offer benefits, say, better bonuses on crafted items, better chance of a crit for inks or potions, or the ability to create trophies of raid kills, which may provide a raid buff.
3. Access to the guild bank, or an expanded guild bank (a free tab?).
4. Faction-based decorative items. Maybe even the ability to attract faction vendors to your hall?
5. Centralized crafting - now all your guild crafters can meet in one place and not have to run around to find each other.
6. AH access

And all of this could be handled through the guild levels. Maybe introduce "guild faction" so that the guild has to work together to increase their rep with individual factions to gain perks (say, an average of Revered with Dalaran mages for the teleport).

Ta-da. We now have a grindfest to keep players going to outfit their guild hall. The thoughts here were created on the fly. Imagine what Blizzard could do if they actually applied themselves to this.

Oh - location - instance it. With the number of guilds, this would be huge when it drops. And the world would be littered with halls. The only option I can think of in-world would be in Outlands. Set it up in a "safe" part, sort of behind the Dark Portal, each guild would get an island to build on. This would require a rebuild of Outland, but it would help the pop. in the area - I think it's only really used for the 60-70 grind, then abandoned.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haakong said:
Baresark said:
Wow, what a big fat waste of time. There is no way they could institute a way for 12 million people to have an individual place to stay. It would have to be the size of New York city, almost.
Instances. You enter a complex with apartments/rooms/etc, and choose which house to visit. or visit some zone, and once you enter you decide what "street" you would visit, teleporting you to an instance with 10-20 houses.

RandallJohn said:
Housing would need to be instanced, which is doable, but outside of decoration, I'd have to agree with Brack. I can't see a use. I mean, they could implement spells that you can only use at home, but that seems kind of forced.

I always log out in a hotel anyway. :)
Putting a house in another town, and have a second hearthstone for it.

Add bonuses, like the guild perks but for your account instead of the guild, depending on what you have decorated your house with/accomplished with one of your characters (i.e. paintings of your heroic deeds, heads of enemies, rare treasures youve found/bought).

"Live together" with a single person (or more, depends how positive wow devs are to polygamy) and share the perks.

Add daily quests if you bought a big enough house (like a castle).

Could also add pvp things if you bought a castle, like getting attacked by the other faction once a day at a set time, and if you cant defend you lose your perks for 1 day (and the other team gains em). Would be awesome fun to go into the "instance" and choose which castle to attack, then the defenders got 10 min to gather up friends to make a stand :D

The possibilities are great, and even though theres other matters blizz should focus on, they should really consider it.
I had thought of instances. But it's pointless to decorate it if no one can see it. Also, there has not been a point in WoW, to my knowledge, that you were given any leeway to change the game world in any way. The possibilities are huge, but not when you put it down to individual player instances. At most, you could have a small instanced town that could accommodate some players, but they couldn't give every single player access to that same instanced town. You could have your apartment/street idea. But there would be nothing to show off.

Adding daily quests, setting up sieges, institutions of such ideas would mean an expansion probably based solely around that. If it's not an idea that appeals to everyone, people aren't going to be interested if all their friends weren't doing it either. These are not things that could be lightly added, it would require an immense amount of work that probably wouldn't pay off in the end.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Damn we take down dragons, armies of alliance scum kill archenemies and demon lords....own thousands of gold pieces...but we are so heroic that we cant own a house X_X

Kinda frustrating :p

Lets hope one day we see the light of it.....at least we know Blizz is considering it an option. maybe the new MMO will have the feature!

Temah

Dec 5, 2010
How about just implementing it for the sake of the rpers, we don't get any other love.

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
I really like the idea of a "Guild Hall" located in each of the major cities. When you enter the guild hall it instances to your guild's version of it and it could house things like the guild bank and showcase guild achievements. Plus you could instigate a system whereby a guild could "hire" services for the guild hall, like a "guild cook" who can cook food from a number of recipes when supplied with materials and gold (for all those who can't be bothered to level cooking), or a guild armorer who will repair your items for a knock-down price or maybe sell green quality low level items and a guild medic (for the days when bandages are actually worth something, if ever).

Mr. Doe

Aug 15, 2009
What about like a guild hall that has portals to all the raids youve accomplished as a guild? and like a guild vault, repair, BG masters etc. Kind of like a miniature city with less lag.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
I remember player housing back in Asheron's Call, and it was completely useless. Served no purpose other than to look at and to increase server load.