World of Warcraft Scams Explained Through Infographic

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
I have never been scammed or even had anyone try to scam me (besides those idiot that contact you through whisper) and I've been playing for about 3 years now

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
One of the things that turned me off to WoW was increasingly being bugged in-game by gold farmers, scammers, and the like once my character started hitting some of the higher levels. It got to the point where if a stranger tried to contact me, my initial response was "I'm not going to give you any gold."

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Although I play world of warcraft on a
Private Server
I run into scammers mostly trying to do work for you and once the item is ready charging ridiculous amounts for it (like 100,000 gold for 1 strong troll's blood elixir) unfortunately you can just refuse the trade and tell the person to bugger off and the problem is solved

Also someone hacked my trial account (the trial had run out 3 years ago) hope the big "please pay to activate this account" screen made them all smiley and happy.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
OANST said:
I just received an email a few days ago claiming that I had recently made changes to my WoW account. Thing is, I don't have a WoW account.
Got one of those too. I don't think I'd play WoW even if someone paid me. They must just send an email to every email address. That'd be pretty resource-intensive, wouldn't it?

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I checked my old Hotmail some days ago, and I'd been spammed with the routine "your account has been seized for illegal activity" messages. As it happens, I updated my WoW contact address, so I knew they were all scams.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Deadman Walkin said:
It is a shame you can't really see the picture, even if you open it in a new window and zoom in.

You can now.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I had been getting a lot of scam mails for the e-mail addy I was using for W.o.W then I changed it to one that hardly ever gets any use one day.

I guess the spammers didn't get the memo, because I get all the real e-mail to the new addy; and still an ungodly amount of spam to the previous.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
This also applies to STEAM! DO NOT type in your info to log into a "steam" forum if one of your "friends" suddenly decides to link you something "you have to see!"

Good guide for the uninitiated. for the rest of us MMO players, DUH!

P.S. I got an email about my SC2 account password having been changed But strangely enough it wasnt sent to the primary email i had attached to it! I almost got tempted to click on the link "If you did not make these changes, please click here to report this incidence" XD

You have to go to the official website yourself and check. thought it was funny that my password was changed but it was still the same password i used XD

Aug 18, 2009
Im sellin copper. lots and lots of copper. i also have unexclusive, ultra-unrare white weapons for sale. great deals on leather belts. I make em myself. basically im selling loot from just outside silvermoon. anyone want in?

OANST

Aug 10, 2009
Antitonic said:
OANST said:
I just received an email a few days ago claiming that I had recently made changes to my WoW account. Thing is, I don't have a WoW account.
Got one of those too. I don't think I'd play WoW even if someone paid me. They must just send an email to every email address. That'd be pretty resource-intensive, wouldn't it?
Yeah. I don't play WoW. I've never played WoW. I never will play WoW. Or any other MMO for that matter. I'd be willing to bet that they are either buying the email addresses from one gaming site or another, or they are stealing them from a gaming site. It wouldn't be cost effective to try to send emails to every email address you can find. They must be narrowing their search by people who at least play video games.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
antidonkey said:
I call many of these scams Karma.

It's what you get for trying to cheat.
I wouldn't call the power-leveling scam cheating. I'd call it shirking. In theory, (if both parties were honest in the deal), you are paying someone to play the game on your behalf. At best, this is delegating. At worst, shirking.

And hell, were I less attached to my money and actually thought there was such a service that was legitimate AND I wanted to play WoW with friends I'd consider it. I have a lot more money than free time for grinding.

Hell, if blizzard was smart, they'd just let players pay a couple bucks to auto-level up. You could easily put a cap on it if you wanted of course. When I tried to play the game last, I was treated to three full god damn days of running around doing quests and killing monsters by myself before I even started to see other people with any regularity. And it took five full days before I got to a point where I could reasonably hope to find a group if I needed one. I got bored and quit long before I got to the point that I could even hope to play with the friends who goaded me to join.