World of Warcraft Suffers Biggest Subscriber Drop in History

Vanished

Jul 5, 2014
As per mmo-champion.com where the graph is from:
Tokens are not included in this timeframe, as they launched in Q2.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I think WoD is a great expansion. It's just... I've played this game for almost a decade. Shit gets old.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Vanished said:
As per mmo-champion.com where the graph is from:
Tokens are not included in this timeframe, as they launched in Q2.
Ah, ok then, nevermind what I said.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Well, I don't pay for WoW anymore. And as far as free to play games go, WoW is by far the best. I do love having 11 garrisons with several Treasure Hunters on them. Send them off twice a day and I bring in up to 15k a day on missions alone. Already paid my sub for the next 2 years ahead of time.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
VanQ said:
Well, I don't pay for WoW anymore. And as far as free to play games go, WoW is by far the best. I do love having 11 garrisons with several Treasure Hunters on them. Send them off twice a day and I bring in up to 15k a day on missions alone. Already paid my sub for the next 2 years ahead of time.
I saw someone had paid their account up to 2035, but I digress:

I have eight garrisons and get maybe 4k a day if I'm lucky. Tell me your secrets!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I wonder if they can take the hint that maybe they should work on a sequel or something?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
VanQ said:

I have eight garrisons and get maybe 4k a day if I'm lucky. Tell me your secrets!
Like I said, I get up to 15k per day. It's entirely up to luck which gold quests you get to begin with. But for max gold income, recrut Treasure Hunter followers from the Frostwall Inn every week and level them all to cap and then to epic. Make sure you have at least 2 Treasure Hunters with each Ability so you can stack them for the same mission. Having 3 Treasure Hunters on a single mission means 600% more gold, for example.

But how can you have that many treasure hunters when they haven't been out long enough to recruit that many from the inn? you may ask, well followers recruited from the overworld have a chance to roll any trait including Treasure Hunter, and you can now buy trait reroll for 1000 Garrison Resources so having a bunch of Scavengers helps too.

So yeah, if you want to see that gold roll in for next to no effort make good use of your followers. I expect a nerf incoming but I'm not really sure how many nerds are exploiting the system as much as I am. Hell, not many people bother with more than 1 garrison at all.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Xerosch said:
Despite having registered every WoW expansion up until now, I've never max leveled any of my characters. The farthest I've gotten so far is a level 65 or something Blood Elf that's never seen more content than the maps of the base game and Burning Crusade.

There's just something that bores me quickly whenever I subscribe for a month (which is very rarely at best). On the other hand I'm a very active player of Final Fantasy XIV in which in two years I had only one unpleasant encounter. I was dropped from a group because I was a level 50 archer and not a bard. A class of which I wasn't aware that I could gain it through my archer's job quests.

That may be one of the biggest problems with MMOs. Some people who are really into it forget that there are players who 'only' want to enjoy the game and not read through hundreds of strategy guides.
Ditto here on the FF14 thing. Been enjoying the hell out of that game and can't wait for the expansion to hit later on in the summer time. Quit WoW during the end of Rats of the ***** Queen and haven't looked back; just never wanted to play Holy Paladin anymore. My lalafell White Mage on FF14, OTOH, is all I need for my MMO experience.
Lalabros represent.

My Lalatonk/Summoner feeds my addictions just fine.

Shame the FFXIV group on here is dead. I'll always have my Tentacle bros though :D

Gretha Unterberg

Jul 14, 2013
so the biggest rise in subscriptions with the nostalgic expansion is followed by the biggest drop in subscription , roughly after the timeframe it takes to play thought the expansion.

It has probably achieved what it was suposed to do by keeping the those who have been paying before subscriped.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I've been saying for years that the main thing holding WoW together at this point is people playing to hang out with good friends they've made there.

Sort of like going to a restaurant you don't enjoy all that much any more, but go because you get to hang out with friends you don't see much elsewhere. The thing about MMOs is they are an overlapping spot for gamers. People who mostly play FPS, RPG, Strategy, and so on will also play an MMO. Meaning without an MMO to play together, you don't always share the same interest in games.

If what little is left of my guild quit the game (like the other 80% already has) I'd unsub on the spot.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Iiii honestly expected this. People who resubbed for the 'lets all get back into the BC feel' were inevitably going to get alienated and let down by all the new systems and established groups already in progress after levelling up was complete. Frankly so far, I thought Mists of Pandaria was better...not by much but by a small amount.

Alas the expansion is not yet finished and I never judge midway, so I'll curve off that for now.

And really WoW could drop to 3 million people next week and still be a functional, healthy online MMORPG. Albeit minus a few bells and whistles like blizzcon, patches that amount to mini expansions in any other MMORPG, and excellent customer support.

News sites covering this as something scandalous obviously and people loosing their minds that 'the death of WoW' is afoot, haven't been paying much attention to the game in recent year, this was inevitable to anyone playing. The hype has worn off for the fleeting, now those 5-6 million still clinging to their guild friends will carry on, business as usual.

Plllluuuus the people playing off WoW tokens don't actually count as 'active subscriptions' in the regard this is read any-more. And that's like half my guild, so...I dunno if that put a couple of hundred thousand dents into that figure, but it might have. Maybe the stats here do account for that or if it's running off the old report/reader.

Loop Stricken said:
VanQ said:

Get a goddamn blacksmith and hut. Funnel ALL your ore and resources into it, Get all the barns, farm all the savage blood. Sell 660 weapons or more. Never pay for WoW again.

...Basically that's my 'grand secret'. You might need to wait a bit to sell these items but some of them go for 90-150k a pop on a good realm.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
You remember that twit from EA who talked about Steam's sales "devaluing" games? And everyone jumped down his throat, because he was a shill for EA who was badmouthing cheap games, which everyone likes?

...I'm beginning to wonder if the jerk didn't have a point, buried somewhere under the self-serving corporate smarm.

Maybe WoW isn't the best indicator; it is, at this point, a fairly old game, despite the various renovations and expansions and revisions. But I sometimes have to wonder, in our avalanche of "free-to-play" experiences vying for our attention, if our collective attention just doesn't have room for games that one plays for hours a day over the course of years.

Or maybe, just not on a scale that supports something like WoW in the long-term forseeable future.

A lot of MMORPGs that sprang up struck me as frankly cynical enterprises: "We'll just provide a space for players, and most of the actual content will come from their interactions with one another." But I'm a bit disturbed to contemplate a cynical model being replaced by one that's even more cynical, and hocking a product that's downright disposable to boot. It's sort of like how I once observed that so-called "reality" television might make us nostalgic for the days of soap operas, when at least the sleaze and the backstabbing was entirely scripted.

Leon Royce

Aug 22, 2014
The beginning of the End.

Can't say I'm sad. A friend of mine is a total addict, and I have to say, I have never seen a game so boring to watch someone else play. Never interested me.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Leon Royce said:
The beginning of the End.

Can't say I'm sad. A friend of mine is a total addict, and I have to say, I have never seen a game so boring to watch someone else play. Never interested me.
Unsure if it is really the beginning of the end really. WoW tends to go through cycles like this a lot, and this is a special case as well. This expansion in general was basically the Peter Molyneux of WoW expansions; promised much, but had a failed delivery.

There was 1 zone cut from the game(that we have seen thus far) with another pushed back to release with the new patch coming. No news about the "cut" zone however. Flying mounts were disabled for the expansion zones, angering and confusing many. Pvp was unbalanced as usual, with the pvp zone Ashran being a disappointment. The faction cities for this expansion were cut, being replaced by shoddy looking bases on Ashran; the actual "cities" are there too in the alliance and horde starting zones, they just cut it's "main base" functionality for seemingly no reason. The Garrison was a cool idea in practice, but plays more like a facebook/mobile game; go to your base, send your followers out on missions, check and update Garrison profession huts, repeat ad nausium.

One raid was pushed back several months when it was supposed to be released on launch. Then there was the complete lack of daily quests, and of course the reputation system for most of the factions was horribly done; I mean you literally had to kill hundreds to thousands of mobs to get to exalted(granted, many of the factions have quests that give rep as well, but once you have done those, you have to grind).

Combine all of that with the continued homogenization of classes, and the odd change to the pace of healing/dpsing and you have a lot of criticisms of the current expansion. Granted, not everything is bad, but they really did drop the ball with this expansion. I am glad I am able to play for free using the WoW coin system(similar to PLEX from EvE or CREDD from Wildstar). They seem to be ironing out some of these gripes with the next patch, but I am not sure it will be enough to bring everyone back. Granted, there is always a resurgence of players with each patch, but I suppose they should analyze why they lost those players in the first place.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Oooh Nooooes!!

Blizzard will have to settle for a gazillion dollars instead of a buttrillion.

Bugga!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
I wonder if they can take the hint that maybe they should work on a sequel or something?
Remember that Blizzard cancelled thier next big MMO because they thought they couldnt get it to surpass WoW?

How is a new WoW with less content going to entice players?

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Can't say I'm surprised. The premise of this expansion pulled people in and I honestly think what content their is is just great and some of the best there's ever been but it doesn't have lasting power and for non raiders that's a huge issue.

Ashran was cool at the beginning but of course players will always find the most efficient mean of farming and with the factions avoiding each other it just become a PvE zone instead of the giant zerg fest it was supposed to be. Not so much Blizzard's fault but I still feel that sometimes you have to not give people a choice and force them to fight be it by making rewards only available after getting so many HKs or whatever, players are generally lame about PvP and will find the easiest possible route.

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
I'm still subscribed as I'm an avid RPer and RP is really the only reason I play. I will admit that this EP was hugely disappointing to me, both gameplay-wise and RP-wise. On Moon Guard, after just a couple months or so the RP community seemed to move completely out of Draenor, it was actually pretty damn crazy how fast we abandoned the new content. Nowadays a lot of guilds I find are pretending their Garrisons are ICly in Azeroth.

Gameplay-wise? Well... To me it was same old, same old. Same old boring quests, same old dungeon formulas, same old raid formulas... It wasn't new content, it was old content given a new paint and resold. The only thing new is the Garrisons, but good lord, just like everyone else here has stated, they're just like a crappy Facebook or Appstore "game". And then it's also worth mentioning what they've done to the RP community; on one hand, guilds now have private places they could refer to as their base of operations... On the other hand, they're created a shitload of isolation in the community; RPers and guilds have been holing themselves up in their Garrisons for all their RP an to me that really bites. There's also the little issue where it seems like everyone and their dog ICly owns their very own Garrison, like they were just handed out as Oprah studio audiences prizes.