World of Warcraft Trojan ID'd and Neutralized

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
World of Warcraft Trojan ID'd and Neutralized

Blizzard says a virus recently plaguing some World of Warcraft players originated from a "fake" version of the Curse Client.

Last week Blizzard posted a warning on its forums urging to World of Warcraft players to keep an eye out for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130987-Blizzard-Warns-World-of-Warcraft-Players-About-Disker-Trojan-Virus>a "dangerous" Trojan virus that was apparently circumventing authenticators and compromising player's accounts. At the time of the announcement, the nature of the virus was still being pieced together, as was an effective method of removing it from infected PCs.

In the days since, more has been uncovered about the Trojan, which has now apparently been identified as "a fake (but working) version of the Curse Client." The faux client was apparently being downloaded from "a fake version of the Curse website" that was "popping up in searches for 'curse client' on major search engines." Blizzard had previously recommended "reformatting your system" as an effective means of banishing the virus. Thankfully, the company is now saying that the "the easiest method to remove the Trojan is to delete the fake Curse Client and run scans from an updated Malwarebytes."

Even with the virus removed, Blizzard is still recommending that affected players go through a round of <a href=http://us.battle.net/en/security/help>precautionary measures to limit the consequences of its invasion. These measures pretty much just entail changing your password and what-not, which you should be doing pretty regularly any ways.

Source: <a href=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/11041384892?page=10#189>World of Warcraft

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, looks that virus...

*Puts on sunglasses*

...just got screwed.

Jokes aside, I'd hope that someone working at a game I DO like were that quick, so good.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Wish this wasn't posted. Nostalgia wants me to pull out my credit card and subscride. Logic wants me to finally go into my hard-drive and delete it off for good.

Oh addiction.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Blizz always tends to be quick with these things, it is rather impressive really.

Guess you need to be quick when you lord over the monolith that is Azeroth.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Can't say a bad word against them. They recognised the issue, informed those who could potentially be affected. Fixed the issue. No harm no foul. Kudos for the expedient work Blizzard.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I thought rule 101 was to never use a third party program to install addons for another program.

Why introduce a non-pay application to a pay-for application?

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Abomination said:
I thought rule 101 was to never use a third party program to install addons for another program.

The curse client is actually quite handy- it's like Nexus Mod manager or something similar. It can keep all your mods up to date without you having to fiddle with them individually and as an ex-wow player, you can end up with dozens of required UI mods quite easily.

Must have been a really good fake version of the website as well, Curse branding is distinctive to say the least.

Good to hear Malwarebytes catches it now. I generally find that to be the most effective program for this sort of thing.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Abomination said:

Why is that rule 101? It's just a simple trust issue. There is nothing wrong with using a third party program if the publisher can be trusted.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Athinira said:
Abomination said:

Why is that rule 101? It's just a simple trust issue. There is nothing wrong with using a third party program if the publisher can be trusted.
I think I'll let the situation speak for itself - this is not the first time this has happened with the Curse client.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Abomination said:
Athinira said:
Abomination said:

I think I'll let the situation speak for itself - this is not the first time this has happened with the Curse client.
Except that this isn't the Curse Client. It's a FAKE version of the Curse Client.

It isn't in any way an unprecedented way to distribute malware by disguising it as another popular software that people are likely to want. It can be any software, and has nothing to do with the fact that Curse Client is an addon installer. This can target any software.

It would be something else if the official Curse Client was caught distributing malware to people who were just using it normally, but that isn't the case. The only offense the Curse Client has committed in this situation is being popular, which also makes it an obvious target.

Azkar Almsivi

Sep 3, 2012
The picture makes me feel that Garrosh Hellscream stopped the Trojan and decapitated it while standing on the prow of a large Horde war zeppelin that he was flying through cyberspace.

I put some more time onto my WoW account, ran around for 10 minutes doing nothing. Got upset that the Horde was being retconned and malformed by the opinions of Alliance players and Blood Elf players who really should be Alliance players... then logged off and played L4D2 for a bit.

Still laugh when a tank appears, Attack on Titan music plays as a giant muscled Venom throws Misaka Mikoto from Railgun at me, with me being Isaac Clarke.

Oh mods.