World of Warcraft

Meshakhad_v1legacy

Feb 20, 2008
When I downloaded the World of Warcraft free trial, I was 99.99% sure that I would not end up buying the game. I already play another MMO - EVE Online. I love EVE, and I would not quit it unless WOW turned out to be something divine. And I don't have the time or money for a second MMO.

On the advice of every WoW player I have ever met (including my roomate, a WOW addict), I chose to play Horde. I noticed that your class was limited by your race - something I didn't like. Since the RPGs I am most familiar with are EVE Online and D&D, both of which have few limits on character options, I was rather dismayed by this. Anyway, I rolled up Donakar, an undead warlock. I prefer ranged combat in general, and I love the warlock class in D&D. Oh, and my roomate thought it might be a good choice for a noob. I picked the Earthen Ring RP server (since I love to RP), and started playing.

Anyway, my first quest was to kill a bunch of X monster. Fairly standard MMO fare. But things got interesting in that the combat was actually quite entertaining in its own right, particularly once I advanced a few levels and had about four powers to choose from. Yeah, I could simply mash Eldritch Blast (sorry, I meant Shadow Bolt), but I also had some debilitating powers to use. Also, ranged combat means moving around quite a bit. I got the sense that mindless button mashing wasn't necessarily the way to win. Every MMO I know involves grinding, so perhaps MMO developers shouldn't try to cut the grind but rather make the grind fun.

Inevitably, I died. I haven't met two MMOs that handled death quite the same way. In WOW, you become a ghost, and can either summon your body to you (damaging your items), or find it yourself (which takes time, but keeps your items intact). A possible flaw in the system (which I exploited shamelessly) was the ability to use your ghost for reconnaisance. The penalty didn't feel very harsh, compared to FFXI (which docks you some XP), E&B (which doesn't lower your level, but you earn half XP for the next few days), or EVE (which is rather complicated, but the normal end result is that you're out a lot of money).

There were a few problems, of course. I would have liked more stat customization, for a start. All my ranged abilities had the SAME range, so either I was out of range, and could do diddly squat, or I was in range, and could unleash my full power. Since moving stops whatever I'm doing, and spellcasting requires a few seconds, I can't effectively skirmish. And there were two complaints that seem pretty universal to fantasy MMOs. One, there's no global chat channel (there were times in E&B and EVE when I got most of my actual enjoyment from interacting with other players). Two, I can't swap out abilities at will to accomodate different situations.

OK, my prediction that I wouldn't buy the game came true. My trial subscription runs out sometime this week, and with it goes Donakar. But that is because I already play another MMO and love it, so the "purchase bar" was absurdly high. My motive for getting the free trial was curiosity. If I was actually interested in BUYING the game, then I probably would have done so by now. And when, in the future, I enter the workforce and begin earning a salary high enough to pay for multiple MMOs, there is a good chance I will get WOW.

I'm not going to give a score, but I will stick WOW on my ranking of MMOs in order of quality and fun:

1. EVE Online
2. World of Warcraft
3. Earth & Beyond
4. Lord of the Rings Online
5. Final Fantasy Online

I, Meshakhad, hereby commend WOW as a Great Game, and suggest that anyone who is looking into purchasing an MMO get the WOW free trial along with the one for EVE.

slyder35

Jan 16, 2008
/facepalm

Crikey folks - this game has been reviewed HUNDREDS OF TIMES ALREADY. Unless you are really totally bored off your face, review something else maybe?

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
People are allowed to review whatever they like here. You may protest this by not reading reviews you think have been 'done to death.'

slyder35

Jan 16, 2008
wilsonscrazybed said:
People are allowed to review whatever they like here. You may protest this by not reading reviews you think have been 'done to death.'
Dead right they are "allowed to". On the flip-side, people like me are "allowed to" comment however they like. It's called democracy.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
TheNecroswanson said:
wilsonscrazybed said:
Curses, foiled again. I'll get you Power Rangers!
Don't you mean, 'I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you nosey mods'?

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Hurray! Another one of those rare people on The Escapist that enjoys brilliant game design!

My only problem with WoW is that it is all-consuming, except that it is probably one of the most well thought through games ever made.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
slyder35 said:
wilsonscrazybed said:
Dead right they are "allowed to". On the flip-side, people like me are "allowed to" comment however they like. It's called democracy.
Wherever did you get the crazy idea that the Escapist is a democracy? :p

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
slyder35 said:
Sure, feel free to comment in a mature and friendly manner. Even critically, as long as your intentions are to help, and not just 'shut them up.' Everyone starts somewhere, and I think it's obvious that the writer isn't trying to start a flame war.

Meshakhad_v1legacy

Feb 20, 2008
wilsonscrazybed said:
slyder35 said:
Sure, feel free to comment in a mature and friendly manner. Even critically, as long as your intentions are to help, and not just 'shut them up.' Everyone starts somewhere, and I think it's obvious that the writer isn't trying to start a flame war.
Either I'm trying to avoid a flame war, or I'm deliberately pissing off both the WoW-haters (who would expect me to rip it apart) and the WoW fanatics (who would expect me to quit EVE and get WoW).

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
About your customization of spells problem, in the next Expansion Blizzard is putting in a profession that allows you to customize your spells(range,added DoTs, etc).