World of Warcraft's Blood Elves Are Finally Getting Their Visual Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
World of Warcraft's Blood Elves Are Finally Getting Their Visual Update

Blood Elves will finally be joining the other "classic" World of Warcraft races with a visual update.

Way back when World of Warcraft: Warlords of Dreanor was first announced, one of the features Blizzard promised was a looked glorious [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.833610-Check-Out-World-of-Warcrafts-Updated-Player-Models]... except for those poor Blood Elves, who were still stuck in 2007.

Now, Blizzard has finally revealed to us what the updated Blood Elves will look like... although it has neglected to give us an exact ETA of when the models will go live. First, let's check out the new Blood Elf female model (click to enlarge):

[http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/854/854369.jpg]

Here's what Blizzard Senior Artist Dusty Nolting had to say about her:

The Horde has classically been about brutes, blood, and thunder. The Blood Elves bring a bit of subtlety to the Horde, and I think that was one of the most important aspects of the Blood Elves to maintain. For the female specifically, something we did often was move things around in small but deliberate increments, to make sure everything was just right. It's the delicate details like her nose shape or fingertips that represent the most challenging parts of upgrading the female.

Now, let's take a look at the new Blood Elf male (click to enlarge):

[http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/854/854367.jpg]

And here's what Blizzard Senior Artist Joe Kelle has to say about him:

The male Blood Elf already has a lot of character with his easily recognizable pose and stylish hair. Our update just gives us a chance to define and focus on that. His anatomy, facial features, and hair will all get an update while still maintaining his iconic look, bringing him to the level of the other new character models.

So, Blood Elves, the most beautiful and fabulous of our Horde brethren, rejoice! Your visual update is coming soon.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/16940815/artcraft-blood-elf-update-11-25-2014]

Luckyo

Nov 19, 2014
Topic talks about "blood elf male", but all I see are two blood elf female models.

What are those legendary blood elf males, and where can I find them?

Relevant: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27715

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Dear Blizzard,

Please increase the weapon size on Blood Elf female character models. My 2 handed mace looks like a stick I picked up off the ground.

Sincerely, VanQ.

P.S. That Female Blood elf thong makes me feel oppressed and triggered. I don't like it. Change it.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Looks good. In before the female model causes a shitstorm because Blizzard dared make it look sexy in underwear.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I remember when there was only orcs, and humans, and I liked it!

Kids these days with their iPads, and canned cheese.

That's right, Warcraft 1

Get on my level, scrubs!

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
So the Blood Elf ladies show more butt, and the Blood Elf males now actually have butts.

Evil Smurf said:

That's right, Warcraft 1

Get on my level, scrubs!
Son, I remember watching the opening cinematic for Warcraft: Orcs and Humans back when those were SWEET graphics.

Just look at those polygons! There are like... tens of them!

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
That emasculated male character is awful, it looks like they purposefully gave it penectomy. Why does the female blood elf have its main external gender attributes appear to be intact yet the male one would make a Ken doll in pants look like Ron Jeremy in comparison?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I'm not hugely excited for this, because while the Draenei came out okay, what they did to the Human females was fucking atrocious. I had this great female warrior that had this angry face, but it was striking, like a well drawn superheroine and the new models took that awesome look and butt-fucked it something fierce.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Evil Smurf said:

That's right, Warcraft 1

Get on my level, scrubs!
Dimitriov said:
Son, I remember watching the opening cinematic for Warcraft: Orcs and Humans back when those were SWEET graphics.

Just look at those polygons! There are like... tens of them!
That video brought back memories, thanks Dimitriov :)

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
It always amazes me how much WoW players BAW about any changes made to their game. Actually, they also BAW when things stay the same.
I don't know if there is a category of gamers who complain more than WoW's.

I think it's a good update. I never noticed (having never rolled male BE) that they never had nipples.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I will say what I said on the WoW forums about this: the artcraft isn't really a good representative of what the final model will feel like. Remember how everybody was loving the Artcraft Human Female? Yep, now the reaction to her model is filled with disgust despite her not looking all that different from what the Artcraft promised. I personally like the Human Female but still, that's the public reaction.

My main is a Pandaren female so get on my level, lesser races

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Quite glad I used my 90 boost on a BElf mage I'd created a few years back.

I mean...look at that......um...h-hair?

[small]Motherofgodthebum. THEBUM.[/small]

Ahem. In all seriousness, the hair looks great. Much better than my Draenei and Night Elves anyway. Don't even get me started on the sorry state those two races' respective faces are in. Not to mention the changes to NElf chests that borked older armors AND the bugged Draenei eyes that no longer glow...and the duck face.

Ugh.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Evonisia said:
I will say what I said on the WoW forums about this: the artcraft isn't really a good representative of what the final model will feel like. Remember how everybody was loving the Artcraft Human Female? Yep, now the reaction to her model is filled with disgust despite her not looking all that different from what the Artcraft promised. I personally like the Human Female but still, that's the public reaction.

My main is a Pandaren female so get on my level, lesser races
The only ones I can remember being different enough to disappoint me were the orc females. The remodeled hair was waaaay better in the art preview than what we have in the game now. Not sure why they changed it...

OT: I really like what I'm seeing so far. My warrior chick's gonna be smokin'.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
J Tyran said:
That emasculated male character is awful, it looks like they purposefully gave it penectomy. Why does the female blood elf have its main external gender attributes appear to be intact yet the male one would make a Ken doll in pants look like Ron Jeremy in comparison?
Are you seriously complaining about the male elf's ju... (checks picture)...
Huh. You know, you're right... It's like there's nothing there at all... XD

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
All these new models seem like a vast improvement over the old ones though I've not been back in wow for mmm 6 or 8 months now? so I've no clue how they appear in game. As someone who tended to stick to male characters in heavy armor wearing helmets all the time though I'm more interested in the animation improvements than the visual ones.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I can see they put the extra polys to good use. I haven't played WoW in... I don't know how long, I quit about 2 months ofter Lich King came out. Do the robes still look like they have been animated as if they were glued to the legs, or or they using proper cloth physics?