World of Warships Opens The Floodgates With Open Beta

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I don't know about good any more, it was fun during the closed beta until they added the pay for consumables aspect.

To give none beta players a idea, during a fight with other ships your ship could suffer a variety of issues regarding damage taken, it could be fires or floods, it could be broken engine or steering or simply weapons going offline and those issues are fixed by a ability, a repair ability that has a cool down period.
In closed beta this cool down was 90 seconds, you use it and even if you were flooding or burning to death, sailing in circles or stopped dead in the water you have to wait.
In open beta you can get this repair for free with the 90 sec cool down, or buy some 'consumable charges' with real money and get a version with a 60 second cool down (which are 'spent' even if you don't use them during that battle).

Not sure if that will be a big deal or not but I had burnt to death, or flooded to death while waiting for that skill to come off cool down many times in the close beta, and 30 seconds is a lot of seconds less to wait.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
CaptainMidlands said:
Thyunda said:
Ishal said:
So I saw CohCarnage streaming this game, and I'm a huge fan of ships. The frigate, cruiser, destroyer combat seemed straightforward. But how the heck does playing with an aircraft carrier work? I've heard it's like you're playing a mini RTS instead of the general game.

Also I wonder if any British ships would be available.
"Players will experience USA and Japanese ships at the start. After that, we plan to add other nations that took part in naval clashes: Britain, Germany, Russia/USSR, France, and Italy. We will also consider adding the Austro-Hungarian fleet as a separate nation, or include it as an aggregate team of smaller shipbuilding countries (namely Brazil, Argentina, Chile)."

From the F.A.Q. page of the Wargaming.net site.
Current plans seem to be Russia next and then Germany and then Britain, because you know two of the largest naval powerhouses of world war 2 should be put 2nd to a nation whose idea of naval supremacy was to take guns off there ships to be placed in land batteries in the Baltic and to defend the small Black Sea area in the Crimean region.

I'm not saying the Russian Navy didn't exist or contribute during world war 2 but i bet out of 100 people more could name an Italian or French ship from the WW2 era than a Russian one. On top of that current plans for Russian end game seems to be the usual "phantom" designs Russia gets given in all Wargaming games
In Wargaming's defence, if they didn't use the 'phantom' designs, Russia would've been outclassed in all three games by the other nations. It's the only way to keep all the nations equal, by my reckoning. It's interesting that, though Wargaming is an Eastern European company, they seem pretty intent on the USA taking precedence in everything. WWII-era tank combat was USA v Germany, right? Naval warfare? Of course, everybody knows that was about USA v Japan! And air combat? USA v Germany.
Obnoxiously, I have to play War Thunder instead of the Wargaming games because the graphics card that sits in my Lenovo laptop isn't compatible with Wargaming's software. Not 'isn't good enough,' but is just incompatible - I can't load my tank garage or my warplane hangar, and the Wargaming forums' solution was "get a different graphics card."

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Thyunda said:
CaptainMidlands said:
Thyunda said:
Ishal said:
So I saw CohCarnage streaming this game, and I'm a huge fan of ships. The frigate, cruiser, destroyer combat seemed straightforward. But how the heck does playing with an aircraft carrier work? I've heard it's like you're playing a mini RTS instead of the general game.

"Players will experience USA and Japanese ships at the start. After that, we plan to add other nations that took part in naval clashes: Britain, Germany, Russia/USSR, France, and Italy. We will also consider adding the Austro-Hungarian fleet as a separate nation, or include it as an aggregate team of smaller shipbuilding countries (namely Brazil, Argentina, Chile)."

Current plans seem to be Russia next and then Germany and then Britain, because you know two of the largest naval powerhouses of world war 2 should be put 2nd to a nation whose idea of naval supremacy was to take guns off there ships to be placed in land batteries in the Baltic and to defend the small Black Sea area in the Crimean region.

I'm not saying the Russian Navy didn't exist or contribute during world war 2 but i bet out of 100 people more could name an Italian or French ship from the WW2 era than a Russian one. On top of that current plans for Russian end game seems to be the usual "phantom" designs Russia gets given in all Wargaming games
In Wargaming's defence, if they didn't use the 'phantom' designs, Russia would've been outclassed in all three games by the other nations. It's the only way to keep all the nations equal, by my reckoning. It's interesting that, though Wargaming is an Eastern European company, they seem pretty intent on the USA taking precedence in everything. WWII-era tank combat was USA v Germany, right? Naval warfare? Of course, everybody knows that was about USA v Japan! And air combat? USA v Germany.
Obnoxiously, I have to play War Thunder instead of the Wargaming games because the graphics card that sits in my Lenovo laptop isn't compatible with Wargaming's software. Not 'isn't good enough,' but is just incompatible - I can't load my tank garage or my warplane hangar, and the Wargaming forums' solution was "get a different graphics card."
This is probably because I live in the United States so its skewed towards their part of WW2, but I don't recall any major sea engagements between Germany and Britain that didn't mostly involve submarines on the German side.

A quick wikipedia search only found 2 major things. A very prolonged naval war in the Mediterranean and a random battle in South America. The Mediterranean conflict is interestin to look at, but for the most part involved attacking supply ships and...more supply ships. Compared to the Pacific, while it was no less important in the actual real life war, game wise it seems pretty boring.

On topic!

Ummm, if they were going for historical accuracy then how would Russian ships, much like Russian planes, ever stand a chance against British, Japanese, or American ship designs? They barely even had a functioning navy in WW2, let alone a remotely modern (for the time obviously) navy. Stick any Russian ship against almost any ship from any other sea power of the time and the Russian ships would be literal scrap piles on the ocean floor within moments.

CaptainMidlands

Jul 6, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Thyunda said:
CaptainMidlands said:
Thyunda said:
Ishal said:

This is probably because I live in the United States so its skewed towards their part of WW2, but I don't recall any major sea engagements between Germany and Britain that didn't mostly involve submarines on the German side.

A quick wikipedia search only found 2 major things. A very prolonged naval war in the Mediterranean and a random battle in South America. The Mediterranean conflict is interestin to look at, but for the most part involved attacking supply ships and...more supply ships. Compared to the Pacific, while it was no less important in the actual real life war, game wise it seems pretty boring.

On topic!

Ummm, if they were going for historical accuracy then how would Russian ships, much like Russian planes, ever stand a chance against British, Japanese, or American ship designs? They barely even had a functioning navy in WW2, let alone a remotely modern (for the time obviously) navy. Stick any Russian ship against almost any ship from any other sea power of the time and the Russian ships would be literal scrap piles on the ocean floor within moments.
Just off the top of my head we have the battle of the Denmark strait where the Prince of Wales and Hood took on the Prinz Eugen and Bismarck and the Hood was sunk, the follow up hunt for the Bismarck, the attempts to lure the the German kreigsmarine in to open battle, the ongoing battle in the Mediterranean between the Regia Marina and the Royal Navy, the attack on mers el kebir where the Royal Navy was forced in to destroying the french fleet in harbor over having it fall in to German Hands.

You say that not much occurred in the Atlantic/Mediterranean but equally the same is true of the Pacific where a lot of the "action" occurred in the Island Hoping as opposed to the actual naval side of things. In terms of naval action the Pacific is basically 4 big battles with a few skirmishes in between (Coral Sea, Midway and the first and second battle's of the Philippine Sea), a lot of it was hunting for Japanese supply ships and Combat Air Patrols/Bombardments to cover the Marines

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
shintakie10 said:
Thyunda said:
CaptainMidlands said:
Thyunda said:
Ishal said:

On topic!

I thought the point of my post was that they were going with gameplay mechanics over historical accuracy.