World War Z Author is Writing a Minecraft Book

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
World War Z Author is Writing a Minecraft Book

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/668/668959.jpg
Max Brooks, who penned The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z, is taking on Minecraft.

World War Z was a super generic zombie movie but the book, written by Max Brooks, was this really interesting "post-zombie-war mockumentary". Brooks has just announced his next project, and it's taking place in the Minecraft universe, of all places. His new book will be called "Minecraft: The Island" and the author describes it as "cuboid Robinson Crusoe, but madder: a hero stranded in an unfamiliar land, with unfamiliar rules, learning to survive against tremendous odds".

"We are absolutely thrilled to be working with the fantastic team at Mojang on what will be the first ever official Minecraft novels," publisher Del Rey said, "and we're so fortunate to have someone of Max's incredible talent and passion on board for the launch of the series."

This won't be the first time Minecraft has been tackled from a more story-centric point of view, as Tell Tale is just now wrapping up its Minecraft: Story Mode [https://telltale.com/series/minecraft-story-mode/] series.

Brooks, who is the son of legendary filmmaker Mel Brooks, most famous works are of course World War Z as well as The Zombie Survival Guide. He also wrote the graphic novel series The Harlem Hellfighters.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-26-world-war-z-author-penning-minecraft-novel]

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, it's an actual official Minecraft novel rather than one of the un-licensed spinoffs you see on shelves regardless?

Well, not sure if Minecraft can be said to have 'canon,' but nifty, I guess.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...sorry, it's just, after you read enough fanfiction, the tagline 'a hero stranded in an unfamiliar land, with unfamiliar rules, learning to survive against tremendous odds' just screams self-insert to me. I highly doubt it will be and I enjoyed World War Z quite a bit, but damn did that just set off my internal alarms of 'Oh God No'.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Hawki said:
So, it's an actual official Minecraft novel rather than one of the un-licensed spinoffs you see on shelves regardless?

Oh the amount of fake Minecraft books I rang up while working at Target. I think the most selling one was "Quest for the Diamond Sword". Ah well, if it got kids to read.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
RaikuFA said:
Hawki said:

Oh the amount of fake Minecraft books I rang up while working at Target. I think the most selling one was "Quest for the Diamond Sword". Ah well, if it got kids to read.
Oh, I can sympathize. I work in a library, and the kids are into Minecraft aplenty. Seemingly more into "how to" guide rather than the novels based on them, but, yeah. Minecraft seems to be one of 'those things' - as in, something that a generation of kids automatically grows up with. Kind of like how stuff like Harry Potter and Pokemon was "the thing" back in the 90s for me.

Eh, don't see any harm in that.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Hawki said:
RaikuFA said:
Hawki said:

Oh, I can sympathize. I work in a library, and the kids are into Minecraft aplenty. Seemingly more into "how to" guide rather than the novels based on them, but, yeah. Minecraft seems to be one of 'those things' - as in, something that a generation of kids automatically grows up with. Kind of like how stuff like Harry Potter and Pokemon was "the thing" back in the 90s for me.

Eh, don't see any harm in that.
I've seen the Bible retold in Minecraft. Also I've never read Harry Potter.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
RaikuFA said:
Hawki said:

I... I just can't picture it. I can't imaging narrating a Minecraft world. It seems more fit for comic books, not literature..

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Makabriel said:
RaikuFA said:
Hawki said:

I... I just can't picture it. I can't imaging narrating a Minecraft world. It seems more fit for comic books, not literature..
Well, a book store (a quite large one at that) has an entire shelf with nothing but Minecraft. Mechandise, mostly, but also Guide Books and, indeed, storybased books. I think they have like four of five different ones there. Oh, and they're all in german. Translated, not original releases just for the german market.
And one of them was read by someone I subscribed on YouTube (It's even the mentioned "Quest of the Diamond Sword"). Didn't bother watching it, however.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Makabriel said:
RaikuFA said:
Hawki said:

It's just the tip of the iceberg. There's Minecraft sex videos on YouTube. And as I said before, a Minecraft bible. Like it's the most famous bible stories with Minecraft illustrations. I've seen the Jesus on a cross one.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
RaikuFA said:
Makabriel said:
RaikuFA said:
Hawki said:

It's just the tip of the iceberg.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11268138/1/

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9643654/1/

Sniff, it's true, I admit it. I've written Minecraft fanfiction! And I don't even play the game!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Hawki said:
RaikuFA said:
Makabriel said:
RaikuFA said:
Hawki said:

It's just the tip of the iceberg.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11268138/1/

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9643654/1/

Sniff, it's true, I admit it. I've written Minecraft fanfiction! And I don't even play the game!
You poor thing. Let's get you some hot cocoa. How many marshmallows you want?

Also, the demo for Dragon Quest Builders came out today. Really liking it.