World's Best Pizza Not in Italy, Nor America

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
As someone who lived in the Chicago for almost 5 years, the "deep dish" sucks astronomical levels of donkey balls and should never be eaten by anyone with functioning taste buds, ever. In fact, Italian food tended to be terrible in the entire region, unfortunately.

I'm just glad we've got so many Italians here in Switzerland, who know how to make 'em right. And I'm glad for the Australians they've got at least one pizzaiolo who does as well.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Awesome! Will have to pick one up next time I'm down that way. I was actually considering moving to Melbourne this year, so I suppose this is even more incentive.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Congrats to the Aussie! :D

(Also, I just want to say, the only people who think that American pizzas are better than Italian pizzas are generally Americans... ;P)

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
I've always said the key to a good pizza is the base. People make it too doughy or too thick.

It's the same with a green salad. If your lettuce isn't good, it doesn't matter about the rest.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Asia and the Middle East have just as weird and and myriad of pizza concoctions as America. In fact, a lot of ideas seem to get tested out there before being brought over.

I remember eating this overseas...a good year or so before seeing it in the states...

Obviously this is mass produced, etc, etc. However, this forces the local restaurants to get even more creative. Some of the bistros in Asia have some ridiculous combinations.

Also toppings...GOOD LORD the toppings...I had a pizza that was essentially a giant gyro...mmmm....

Zefar

May 11, 2009
super_mega_ultra said:
How can anyone like american pizza? It's all greasy and have no taste. Often it has almost nothing on it.

Makes me think of this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5AZhjhbxf8
Wait so Ham isn't part of a pizza at all in USA?

Here in Sweden the main stuff are always. With the exception of a "Child pizza" which have removed the Ham. Even as a kid I never ordered that one.

Pizza dough part
Tomato sauce
Cheese (Not drowned in cheese then)
Ham

After that you throw toppings on and if people want less than that they are nuts.
For me, it's kebab and pineapple that rules the pizza world. Also add a kebab medium sauce as well.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
super_mega_ultra said:
Vissa italienska pizzor är utan kött också, men amerikanska pizzor är ökända för att ha lite ingredienser. Ibland får man bara lite ost och tomat på en tunn brödbit.
And still you hear how overpriced they are. Those poor American people.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Rawbeard said:
Humble Australian chef Johnny Di Francesco
Stop right there! That is one very italian dude. So it's italian pizza.
Pretty much this. What we have here is a very Italian-blooded man who happens to have Australian citizenship.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
As someone who lived in the Chicago for almost 5 years, the "deep dish" sucks astronomical levels of donkey balls and should never be eaten by anyone with functioning taste buds, ever. In fact, Italian food tended to be terrible in the entire region, unfortunately.

I'm just glad we've got so many Italians here in Switzerland, who know how to make 'em right. And I'm glad for the Australians they've got at least one pizzaiolo who does as well.
I grew up next to Italians and have always been spoiled with amazing Italian food, I rarely find a place that doesn't do them well around here. I must check that place out someday when I'm down in Melbourne, I must know what the best pizza on earth really is :)

gigastrike said:
Pretty much this. What we have here is a very Italian-blooded man who happens to have Australian citizenship.
Italians are quite common over here, kind of a side affect of being a country full of immigrants (great when you want a variety of good foods). IIRC alot came here after WW2 to escape Europe, then again that goes for most immigrants from the EU.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
gigastrike said:
Rawbeard said:
Humble Australian chef Johnny Di Francesco
Stop right there! That is one very italian dude. So it's italian pizza.
Don't they allow migration in your part of the world? We have a huge Italian community here, have had since WW2.

OT: Melbourne has both really good and really bad Italian food, you have to know where to look. Personally the best pizza I've ever eaten was at Patsy's in Greenwich Village, but then I've never been to Naples.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Over in the UK we're getting better, while the US style Bread with hot toppings on it is still the king the More authentic Naples styled Pizza is growing in popularity, we have 2 "real" pizza places opened up in our town recently (we have a Small ass town so it is a big deal) and its just night and day from the usual Crud.

But i do like Chicago style Deep dish as a comfort food, its basically a Casserole on dough

Shamanic Rhythm said:
Don't they allow migration in your part of the world? We have a huge Italian community here, have had since WW2.
This, From south wales myself and we have a MASSIVE Italian community here ( I'm quarter myself) hell half the names on our goddamned cenotaph are Italian.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I hoped it was a Melbournian, suck it Sydney Siders! I'll check it out sometime.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Lygon Street, Brunswick East. Hell yes. Only 40 minutes or so from me. Definitely popping in.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Roxor said:
Makes me a little disappointed I don't live in Melbourne (I'm based in regional NSW). I'd give him some business if I did.
If you like, you can send me $20 and I'll go and eat one of his pizzas, just for you, because I'm such a nice selfless guy ;)