World's Oldest Lolcat Found

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
World's Oldest Lolcat Found


Historians have discovered the world's oldest Lolcat, but are sad to report that it's not any funnier than the rest of them.

Discovered in a Seattle antiques store by Tracy Angulo, the old-time Lolcat is actually a postcard that dates back to 1905, featuring a dress-wearing cat sitting in a high chair. "What's delaying my dinner?" the cat wonders as she cranes her neck ever so slightly in the direction of the kitchen and the source of her impatience. It seems that even 100 years ago, it was awfully hard for a cat to has cheezburger.

It may not be comedy genius, but proper spelling and grammar aside, it's very much a Lolcat, and true fans even have a shot of owning their very own: The very same postcard was recently auctioned by a U.K.-based seller on eBay, where it sold for only $1.50.

(Full disclosure: Okay, I admit it, Lolcats are funny.)

Source: I Can Has Cheezburger [http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/12/01/funny-pictures-oldest-ever-lolcat-found/]


Permalink
 

SomeBritishDude

New member
Nov 1, 2007
5,081
0
0
I just had an image of ancient Egyptian carving of a cat in a cagewith the words "Epic Fail" in hieroglyphs underneath.
 

Rezfon

New member
Feb 25, 2008
338
0
0
By Jov! This will be the day you tell your grandchildren how you were there when they found the oldest Lolcat!
 

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
7,055
0
0
Actually, they originated back to the Egyptian times.
People used to worship them back them, and I believe pictures of cats were engraved on to bowls and jugs, with writing underneath. Or so I was taught.


...That was me attempting to be interrlec- interllec- inter... er...Clever.
 

Cousin_IT

New member
Feb 6, 2008
1,822
0
0
sad to think the origional lolcat hasnt been bettered, just suffered from butchered grammer & spelling.
 

TheBadass

New member
Aug 27, 2008
704
0
0
I love this, I really do. Who wants to bet that some time soon we'll find a mudkip or something in a tomb, with some dead guy desperate to show us it?
 

vede

New member
Dec 4, 2007
859
0
0
Yeah, didn't the basic gist of cats and blurbs of text originate in ancient Egypt? I mean, surely they had at least one image of a cat saying to a man bowing to him, "I am hungry" or "Where are my food offerings?"

Wouldn't that technically be the first lolcat?
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
TheBadass said:
I love this, I really do. Who wants to bet that some time soon we'll find a mudkip or something in a tomb, with some dead guy desperate to show us it?
Congratulations, you just made me lol (sans cat). :)
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
TheBadass said:
I love this, I really do. Who wants to bet that some time soon we'll find a mudkip or something in a tomb, with some dead guy desperate to show us it?
You mean like this?
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Hahah, nice. So humans have always thought it funny to make cats look weird :p
 

bkd69

New member
Nov 23, 2007
507
0
0
I thought they originated as a comic strip, the Laugh-Out-Loud Cats:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apelad/sets/72157600296941365/
 

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
1,724
0
0
Oh god, which is funnier, the worlds oldest lolcat, or the worlds pseudo oldest Mudkips... hmmm.
 

internutt

New member
Aug 27, 2008
900
0
0
bkd69 said:
I thought they originated as a comic strip, the Laugh-Out-Loud Cats:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apelad/sets/72157600296941365/
Nah, lolcats come from a 4chan meme called Caturday, every saturday pics of cats were posted on 4chan. Like shoop da woop, mudkips, chocolate rain, over 9000, the rickroll and many other internet fads it started as a meme on the website before becoming mainstream.
 

WolfLordAndy

New member
Sep 19, 2008
776
0
0
SomeBritishDude said:
I just had an image of ancient Egyptian carving of a cat in a cagewith the words "Epic Fail" in hieroglyphs underneath.
Exactly what I was thinking. I feel slightly disappointed.
 

mokes310

New member
Oct 13, 2008
1,898
0
0
OH GOD, EVEN THE PREVIOUS GENERATIONS WEREN'T IMMUNE TO THE HORROR OF THE LOLCAT....AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
 

Ongaru

New member
Dec 24, 2008
46
0
0
It's rather funny, our ancestors seem to have millions of ways to fuck with us.

IT'S A GOD DAMNED CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!
 

Dfskelleton

New member
Apr 6, 2010
2,851
0
0
Wouldn't it be cool if in an old egyptian tomb we found a picture of a guy with the Shoop Da Whoop mouth shooting a lazer at someone with the accompanying heiroglyphic saying "Imma Firin Mah Lazor. Blagh."
 

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
2,215
0
0
At the risk of getting banned, I feel I must point this out. This, is true irony, correct?

A post about the world's oldest Lolcat, and someone goes and necros a three year old post. Kudos to you Dfskelleton, kudos! The dark gods would be proud.
 

geldonyetich

New member
Aug 2, 2006
3,715
0
0
Sure, it's the world's oldest lolcat now, but wait until archeologists discover a pertinent cave drawing.
 

Blueruler182

New member
May 21, 2010
1,549
0
0
Ongaru said:
It's rather funny, our ancestors seem to have millions of ways to fuck with us.

IT'S A GOD DAMNED CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!
He knows! Kill him!

It's nice to know that things haven't changed that much. Just so far as morality goes.
 

manythings

New member
Nov 7, 2009
3,297
0
0
It's not a new thing it was found in 2008;

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/12/01/funny-pictures-oldest-ever-lolcat-found/
 

manythings

New member
Nov 7, 2009
3,297
0
0
SirBryghtside said:
manythings said:
It's not a new thing it was found in 2008;

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/12/01/funny-pictures-oldest-ever-lolcat-found/
*Points at article date*

I can has Necroing a wrathable offence?
My bad, it popped up as new and I didn't check the date.
 

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
2,048
0
0
awesome, here's hoping a mudkip painting from that era pops up aswell, though that will probably fuck with pokémon logic a bit.
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
EmileeElectro said:
Actually, they originated back to the Egyptian times.
People used to worship them back them, and I believe pictures of cats were engraved on to bowls and jugs, with writing underneath. Or so I was taught.


...That was me attempting to be interrlec- interllec- inter... er...Clever.
People have made images of cats for thousands of years, but none of them thought to put a funny caption underneath pertaining to how the cat might feel if they were human.
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Dfskelleton said:
Wouldn't it be cool if in an old egyptian tomb we found a picture of a guy with the Shoop Da Whoop mouth shooting a lazer at someone with the accompanying heiroglyphic saying "Imma Firin Mah Lazor. Blagh."
FUCKING NECRO! Great, now I hope the person I quoted doesn't think I'm a dirty dirty necro.
 

ProfessorLayton

Brotha That Will Smotha Yo Motha
Nov 6, 2008
7,453
0
0
Well I guess it's fitting for a long dead thread to be necro'd on Halloween. It's also strange seeing one of my posts from 2 years ago... it's like looking into two different time machines at once.
 

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
2,048
0
0
SirBryghtside said:
ProfessorLayton said:
Well I guess it's fitting for a long dead thread to be necro'd on Halloween. It's also strange seeing one of my posts from 2 years ago... it's like looking into two different time machines at once.
Indeed. Even more wierdly, my last post here was on the first necro...
And I love how I found, read AND necro'd this on Halloween, I think the Shoop-Da-Whoop-God wanted this