World's Oldest Lolcat Found

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
World's Oldest Lolcat Found

Historians have discovered the world's oldest Lolcat, but are sad to report that it's not any funnier than the rest of them.

Discovered in a Seattle antiques store by Tracy Angulo, the old-time Lolcat is actually a postcard that dates back to 1905, featuring a dress-wearing cat sitting in a high chair. "What's delaying my dinner?" the cat wonders as she cranes her neck ever so slightly in the direction of the kitchen and the source of her impatience. It seems that even 100 years ago, it was awfully hard for a cat to has cheezburger.

It may not be comedy genius, but proper spelling and grammar aside, it's very much a Lolcat, and true fans even have a shot of owning their very own: The very same postcard was recently auctioned by a U.K.-based seller on eBay, where it sold for only $1.50.

(Full disclosure: Okay, I admit it, Lolcats are funny.)

Source: I Can Has Cheezburger [http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/12/01/funny-pictures-oldest-ever-lolcat-found/]

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I just had an image of ancient Egyptian carving of a cat in a cagewith the words "Epic Fail" in hieroglyphs underneath.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
By Jov! This will be the day you tell your grandchildren how you were there when they found the oldest Lolcat!

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Actually, they originated back to the Egyptian times.
People used to worship them back them, and I believe pictures of cats were engraved on to bowls and jugs, with writing underneath. Or so I was taught.

...That was me attempting to be interrlec- interllec- inter... er...Clever.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
sad to think the origional lolcat hasnt been bettered, just suffered from butchered grammer & spelling.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
I love this, I really do. Who wants to bet that some time soon we'll find a mudkip or something in a tomb, with some dead guy desperate to show us it?

vede

Dec 4, 2007
Yeah, didn't the basic gist of cats and blurbs of text originate in ancient Egypt? I mean, surely they had at least one image of a cat saying to a man bowing to him, "I am hungry" or "Where are my food offerings?"

Wouldn't that technically be the first lolcat?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
TheBadass said:
I love this, I really do. Who wants to bet that some time soon we'll find a mudkip or something in a tomb, with some dead guy desperate to show us it?
Congratulations, you just made me lol (sans cat). :)

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
I thought they originated as a comic strip, the Laugh-Out-Loud Cats:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apelad/sets/72157600296941365/

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Oh god, which is funnier, the worlds oldest lolcat, or the worlds pseudo oldest Mudkips... hmmm.

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
bkd69 said:
I thought they originated as a comic strip, the Laugh-Out-Loud Cats:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apelad/sets/72157600296941365/
Nah, lolcats come from a 4chan meme called Caturday, every saturday pics of cats were posted on 4chan. Like shoop da woop, mudkips, chocolate rain, over 9000, the rickroll and many other internet fads it started as a meme on the website before becoming mainstream.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
I just had an image of ancient Egyptian carving of a cat in a cagewith the words "Epic Fail" in hieroglyphs underneath.
Exactly what I was thinking. I feel slightly disappointed.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
OH GOD, EVEN THE PREVIOUS GENERATIONS WEREN'T IMMUNE TO THE HORROR OF THE LOLCAT....AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!