Worst alien invasion movie of all time

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
It's either Signs, War of the Worlds or Skyline. I really can't decide which is the worst. Honourable mentioned goes to Battlfield; Earth, but that one was just funny instead of being painful to watch.

I haven't seen that recent Battleship movie but I imagine that's a probable contender too.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Ok, pay that, wasn't him saving the world.

But you get a classic story, and change everything about it...not a good start. A civilisation on Mars might have been believable when the thing was written, nowdays, not so much.

It didn't help that everyone in that movie was too mind-numbingly stupid to live.

The aliens are invincible, and you know this? Keep attacking them anyway.
And then the son decides sit and watch the military get slaughtered because he "has to do this".

Cruise can't get himself pulled into the alien machine until he shows it that he's not one of the defenceless humans they are pulling into their machines, he's one of the armed ones they are vapourising.

And the idea that the aliens had landed on earth many thousands of years ago, buried themselves in places they knew would be major cities later on for no reason, only to emerge now for no reason, and could do all that without exposing themselves to diseases which they decided to do now for no reason...nah. Rubbish.
Alright. I don't agree with your complaints, but fair enough.

I haven't read the novel, so I can't say anything about changing the story, though. Have you seen the 1953 movie? Is that closer to what you'd have preferred? (I like the old one too, but for different reasons.)

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Even though I love this movie, Wild Zero was pretty bad.

Alien zombies invade earth to get beat down by a rock band(Guitar Wolf), a wanna be rocker named Ace, and the power of love and rock n roll.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
If we're keeping it contained to big-budget/hyped/Triple-A movies, then I'd have to say that both SkyLine and Battle: LA would be tied for #1. They were both just so dull, and boring. For both of them I could not keep my concentration all the way through, and ventures off into other activities.

However if I had to pick but one then SkyLine would be my choice, largely due to it's horrid and confusing ending.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Signs. Fuck you, Mel Gibson. Fuck. You.

My biggest problem, within many, is that the aliens look like your stereotypical, uncreative humanoids with big-eyes. Here's what a real alien would look like: NOTHING LIKE A HUMAN. Not even a slightly similiar anatomy. If something's that far away from us, what're the chances of it looking similiar to us - none.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Skyline, That was just bad. I loathed that film. Everything was just so meaningless in it, and it was difficult to give a damn when they all died

Dr. Mongo

Oct 31, 2011
Signs was bad, but Skyline... god, I hate that movie so much. Followed closely by World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles. COD meets Independence Day.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Signs, War of the Worlds or Skyline.

But the Forgotten was pretty bad too. It gets good, then it gets abd, then it gets good, then it ends...
not as bad as the other three, but will blah to me.
I dunno. Alien invasions dont impress me any more.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Llil said:
Alright. I don't agree with your complaints, but fair enough.

I haven't read the novel, so I can't say anything about changing the story, though. Have you seen the 1953 movie? Is that closer to what you'd have preferred? (I like the old one too, but for different reasons.)
Well, the original was set in Britain over a hundred years ago. You can't set in in contemporaty US without changing more or less everything. Apart from the name, nothing was the same, just call it something else.

Was the 1953 one the one with the flying saucers with the force fields?

As an aside, the original story is so old that nobody had thought up the idea of protective force fields yet. Nowdays you can't really have aliens without them.

dylanmc12 said:
If something's that far away from us, what're the chances of it looking similiar to us - none.
Difficult to say until we've met one. There are arguments in favour of convergent evolution. Ichtyosaurs and dolphins look a lot like sharks, but are very distantly related. Likewise neither tree ferns or banana trees are trees, they just happen to have evolved to look much the same.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
Avatar gets my vote as well fucking blue cat people HOW WOULD YOU LIKE A METEOR FROM ORBIT HUH? TURN IT ALL TO ASH

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Well, the original was set in Britain over a hundred years ago. You can't set in in contemporaty US without changing more or less everything. Apart from the name, nothing was the same, just call it something else.

Was the 1953 one the one with the flying saucers with the force fields?

As an aside, the original story is so old that nobody had thought up the idea of protective force fields yet. Nowdays you can't really have aliens without them.
I can see how changing it so much could be irritating if you're familiar with the source material. It wasn't a problem for me with this movie, but I understand where you're coming from.

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
dylanmc12 said:
Signs. Fuck you, Mel Gibson. Fuck. You.

My biggest problem, within many, is that the aliens look like your stereotypical, uncreative humanoids with big-eyes. Here's what a real alien would look like: NOTHING LIKE A HUMAN. Not even a slightly similiar anatomy. If something's that far away from us, what're the chances of it looking similiar to us - none.
They need to make a movie where the Hanar invade. That would rule!

Alhazred

May 10, 2012
The correct answer is Plan Nine From Outer Space. It really is just THAT bad in all aspects.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
My friend showed me this really low budget film about aliens who possessed vacuum cleaners. There was a really bizarre rape seen on a staircase with a girl and a possessed vacuum, yes, the nozzle was used.

It was called something ridiculous, Rug Munchers from Outer Space or something to that effect. It was on his brother's hard-drive, I've no idea where he got it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Lusty said:
Signs. Aliens that are allergic to water invade a planet comprised almost entirely of water. My vote for worst film ever, not just worst alien invasion.
Ah, but planet earth has hardly any water at all, the trouble is that it's thinly spread in a ring round the planet's surface. Why the aliens had no kind of body armour but did have space ships, now there's one for the script writers...

KingHodor

Aug 30, 2011
thaluikhain said:
dylanmc12 said:
If something's that far away from us, what're the chances of it looking similiar to us - none.
Difficult to say until we've met one. There are arguments in favour of convergent evolution. Ichtyosaurs and dolphins look a lot like sharks, but are very distantly related. Likewise neither tree ferns or banana trees are trees, they just happen to have evolved to look much the same.
Or look at sabertooth cats and the marsupial Thylacosmilus - you'd figure that a lion-like predator with comically oversized canines would be an evolutionary fluke, yet evolution still did it twice (or three times, since the saber-toothed Nimravids weren't true cats either).

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
evilengine said:
Battle: L.A., I watched that on a plane and I only remember seeing about half of it, the rest was me playing my PSP instead and being much more entertained. Everything about it cheesed me off no-end, if I heard someone shouting "Hoo-Rah!" one more time I wouldn't be held responsible.
Thats nothing, try Battle of Los Angeles (with the skinny one from keenan and kel)
perhaps the single worst movie i have ever seen.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
I'll go with Signs, too. But actually that wasn't an invasion movie, some aliens wanted to get rid of retarded members of their species so they sent them to Earth just for fun.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Mars Attacks maybe. Signs absolutely. I hated that movie with a passion. Even more so than Skyline.