Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
You'd think that, wouldn't you? But again, they had to drop Mars from the title because, with Mars Needs Moms bombing, CLEARLY audiences weren't interested in movies that involved Mars. Couldn't have anything to do with that movie just not being very good.
I swear that joke about replacing Executives with apes in suits and getting better results never gets old.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Morgan Freeman has argued that the title of The Shawshank Redemption is the reason that movie did poorly at the box office, since it was too complicated for people to remember. I wonder if it would have fared better with a translation of the Swedish title (Nyckeln till frihet meaning "The key to freedom").

Another movie that I believe hurt from a poor title was Edge of Tomorrow, since that is a fairly generic title and the movie's tag line did a much better job of advertising the movie's central gimmick: "Live. Die. Repeat".

The YouTube channel DYKGaming (Did you know gaming) did an episode on the Professor Layton series and revealed that the reason that series did better in Europe than its native Japan is that they advertised it as an adventure game natively and as a puzzle game abroad. Having played the first title I'd argue that calling it a puzzle game would be more accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
Deviantart's owners sold their website to Wix, latter overprotectiveness to it's AIs allows spambots to outnumbers real users in Deviantart, among other reasons

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The Russian Empire selling Alaska to the US for ~7 million dollars (~140 million dollars adjusted for inflation).

Full of fucking oil.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou