Worst country names?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I was looking up a country on the map when I saw 'Central African Republic.' If that isn't one of the most uninventive names ever. "What should we call our country?" "Hmm, maybe if we describe the country we'll come up with a good name. We're a republic, near the center of Africa--" "Hey, I know!"

What countries have the worst names?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Niger springs to mind. Its just sooo damn close to a historically horrific racial slur about the very type of people that come from Niger.
United States is pretty lame duck as far as things go. What are we? A Group of States? Are we United? Yes? Well United States then,
Greenland is mostly ice, and Iceland is mostly green. I mean just on a pre-school level that's a frowny face.
And while we're at it, fuck you Turkey. Not only are you one of the only nations that shares a name with an animal, its a bird, and a really fucking stupid bird at that. Turkeys can drown in a rainstorm because they're not smart enough to close their mouths. Might as well rename yourself the Suicidal White or Dark Meat. (which come to say it, is a great name for a multiracial Death Metal band)

Reactions: gorfias

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Niger springs to mind. Its just sooo damn close to a historically horrific racial slur about the very type of people that come from Niger.
United States is pretty lame duck as far as things go. What are we? A Group of States? Are we United? Yes? Well United States then,
Greenland is mostly ice, and Iceland is mostly green. I mean just on a pre-school level that's a frowny face.
And while we're at it, fuck you Turkey. Not only are you one of the only nations that shares a name with an animal, its a bird, and a really fucking stupid bird at that. Turkeys can drown in a rainstorm because they're not smart enough to close their mouths. Might as well rename yourself the Suicidal White or Dark Meat. (which come to say it, is a great name for a multiracial Death Metal band)
Greenland and Iceland are actually more interesting because they're named wrong though.

Reactions: gorfias

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Turkey. Because out of context and ignorance it makes me think its named after the gobble gobble bird.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
"Psst, can I copy your homework?"

"Sure, but change it a bit so no-one notices."

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Fun fact, actually: Wild turkeys are actually pretty clever, and even the domestic turkey gets a worse rep than it deserves. The common myth for the latter is - as you cite - that the domestic turkey is so stupid as to stare up in a storm with their beak open in confusion and drown. In actuality, that's a phenomenon that has nothing to do with the bird's intelligence or the weather. What is mistaken for the turkey stupidly staring at the sky (which, as an aside, would entail the bird tilting its head to the side so either of its eyes would more directly face what they're looking at) is in actuality tetanic torticollar spasms, an inherited neurological disorder. It's the rough equivalent of saying they're stupid for having a seizure.

lil devils x

šŸMore Lego Goats Please!šŸ
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
ALL THE STANS. Even THEY are sick of STANS!

Oh and ALL the " lands" too while we're at it. People have got to be more creative than this. Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands, Iceland, Greenland, Deutschland, New Zealand, Swaziland, Finland, Poland, and those Angles people no one can remember. Enough already with this Land nonsense, they should rename their country something pretty like "Papillion" or " fluer d'eau" or "moins que la france" instead. XD

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawki

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"The United Kingdom" sounds like something out of a YA novel.

Also "New Zealand", because then you wonder about old Zealand.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The United States is a terrible name because it's not the only United States in North America.

lil devils x

šŸMore Lego Goats Please!šŸ
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
To be fair it was at the time if I remember. Isn't Canada about 100 years younger as an independent state than the USA?
When I was a kid, I thought Candida and Canada were the same thing. I kept calling Canada "Candida" all the way up until High School until someone finally realized what I was saying and pointed out what that really meant. XD