Worst disappointment you experinced when you were a kid.

Gestapo Hunter

Oct 20, 2008
For me when i was in kindergarten sometime the school will hand out small snacks for us during lunchtime. Usually its all those healthy snack no kid liked then one day they gave us chocolate chip cookies i went nut as soon as i got my cookie i shoved that right into my mouth but then i realized it wasnt chocolate chip it was raisin. I was so pissed i choked on my cookie.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Typically every birthday, since presents still meant something when you were young, and I used to hype myself up to the point of bursting only being able to relieve the pressure by unwrapping my gifts, which nearly always turned out to be nothing special. I certainly never got a fucking game console for my birthday, I can tell you that.

Noetherian

Hermits United
May 3, 2012
Maybe not the worst, but certainly one I remember vividly... One year, my mom surprised me with the second-gen iPod I'd been wanting for my birthday: the pearly white one with the round scroll area, before touch-sensitivity was nearly as common. It was the first music player I ever had, and I savored every minute of opening the packaging-- this was an Apple product, after all, and they're nothing if not aesthetically pleasing, even back then. I finally had it open and ran downstairs to the family computer to install iTunes and get it working, only to find we didn't have the right (Firewire) port. Not one to be deterred, I ordered one online and installed it myself. At long last, I plugged in my shiny new iPod... only to discover our version of Windows was too outdated to be compatible with the device. After all that, we had to return it.

(Upside: Many years later, Mom got me a first-gen iPod touch completely out of the blue -- which I still use to this day.)

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
When I was a kid, my dad had to travel a lot. If he ever went to another country he would usually get some kind of present. His most common travel location turned out to be Brisbane, Australia. So one day he decides to get me the most popular game that year, Mario 64. You may be thinking at this point, "Wait, Australian games don't work on US consoles." You are right, but my dad didn't know that and neither did I. You should have seen the crushed look on my face when I realized that I would have to keep borrowing my friend's cartridge.

Rangarig

Dragon in disguise
Apr 19, 2010
I had started to use my Commodore 64, my first computer and gaming system, to also do work for school. Beyond the keyboard that was part of the main unit, I used a joystick to play games, or in this case to move the arrow cursor through the GEOS (the C-64 equivalent of Windows) environment. It was a slow and tedious process, and not very precise - but this was the mid 1980s.

To my surprise my father brought home a 1351 mouse for the C-64 - a square clunky thing with two big buttons, but analogue with a ball. Expensive and not easy to find where we lived. To install it, I had to load the driver into GEOS memory and write a copy of the OS onto a disk (5 1/4" floppy) that then would include mouse support. At age 10 this was already a daunting task, but to my dismay something went wrong during the copying, and the whole process ended with a corrupted driver disk and no more mouse support. The disk and hence the mouse were totally useless.

This was the first time I suffered a serious hardware/software problem, and I was not certain what had caused it. I felt terrible and disappointed that we could not fix the problem or get a replacement disk either.

Mimic

Jul 22, 2014
Probably when a family holiday to Disney World ended up as a week in Norfolk.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
My worst disappointment was my dad forcing me out of bed in the middle of the night at age 10, to help him steal materials from a construction site. And he nearly ran me over with his pickup truck in the process. That man had no regard for my safety or life.