Worst examples of blatant fanservice

reverse_rpm

Jan 8, 2014
I think Jim Sterling came up with a good point about this discussion in his review of Drakengard 3 and in a shortly followed Jimquisition.

There are characters who are sexualized via fan-service to no reasons rather than a momentary relief, padding, or lack of personal developement, and there are also charaters which, despite having the same visual design as the first, are owners of their own sexuality.

The parties participating in the intense talk about GiTS in this topic might agree that Motoko is a mature character, who takes the personal initiative in matters of the sort. I remember an episode where she proposes a youngster to have sex as a simple life experience, beeing like "hmmm" when he refuses, and tucking away to bed.

A charater of a similar facet was Faye Valentine (she got dressed up nicely... once! xD), whose appearance is heavily focused on in the episodes after her introduction, while some time later, spending time developing as a character with a story to boot. You stop looking at a character as dumb-eye-candy when you can relate it more to a thought-driven person.

Other types of fan-service wich can pass as harmless are the amusing sorts, and i can even think of a male example, of Alex Armstrong from Full Metal Alchemist, whose gleaming body shenanigans fade away once serious matter occur.

You know you've seen good fanservice when you get over the looks of "cladly" dressed characters, because you realise that they were created as a REDUNDANT mean to draw attention towards a character, whose personality, reasons and story are already enough to keep it in focus even if was to wear Greenland-walrus-fur-coats.

When the sexualisation is not redundant, and it proves to be one of the only redeeming points of the char's deign, then we can talk about blatant fan-service. Some shows use this to get off the ground, *i might draw some heat for this* but i feel Revy in the beggining of season 1 of Black Lagoon is guilty of this, until the show got on more solid tracks.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
While Fairy Tail is full of unnecessary fanservice, the worst would have to be during the Grand Magic Games when everyone is fighting against the dragons. However one dragon that the guild goes up against has the power to remove a person's clothes and Fairy Tail being... well Fairy Tail, all the female characters are completely naked, especially Lucy. Seriously, I like you Fairy Tail, but there's a very good reason while not a lot of people like you and this is one of them

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
I'm just now starting to get into anime and manga, and this--all the gratuitous sexualization--is the main thing that's dumping flies in my ointment, so to speak. Tellingly, my favorite series so far--Fullmetal Alchemist, Madoka Magica, & Baccano!--contain little of it. I'm fine with using it for the purposes of comedy and parody, but when you've got a story and characters onscreen that are being fully played for drama, yeah, I'm gonna find it hard to take things seriously when you throw lovingly shot miniskirts and implausibly large tits into the mix.

Which leads me to ask: Any recommendations for "serious" anime with little to no fanservice or over-the-top action?

Avery

May 5, 2012
Sword Art Online. Not that I expected much out of it. It's just another layer of shit on the shittiest anime in recent history.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
Elfgore said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Sword Art Online, that scene where Kirito goes to Asuna's house and Asuna assumes due to the way he phrased it, wanted a shag, so she strips down completely naked until Kirito clears up the misunderstanding and she goes full on TSUUUUUUUN.

Its strange, she was perfectly fine to strip naked for a guy she barely knew (at least I assume barely knew, they were in 2-3 scenes togther before then) but when he clears it up, Then it becomes awkward? Definitely the most blatant example of inputting fanservice.
This scene in the anime was poorly done. They had a two year time-skip between when they first met and when we see them meet again. Both are fighters on the front-line, so it is assumed they have had two years to grow this relationship, even if it was one made on rivalry. This in no way forgives that scene though, that was just bleh.

The light novels just explain everything so much better than the anime.
The problem is that this tells rather than shows. What would have made their relationship more convincing would have been to actually see them grow together, rather than timeskipping and saying they're best buds now. Also, they didn't have so much a rivalry as it was just Asuna written as a generic tsundere that pretends not to like Kirito.