Worst game(s) you've ever completed

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Hi, was reading another thread about games you've stuck with despite difficulty etc.

This made me think what have I played and completed despite it being a terrible game imo.
So there are two rules for this thread
1. Must have completed the main story at least
2. YOU have to have disliked/hated it, not the general public, YOU. In fact if the general public liked but you didn't that's even better.

For me it's got to be hyperdimensional Neptuina Mk2.
I have a friend who into his JRPG'S and really strongly suggested I get this and god was it awful. I mean between the lolita jokes, skimpy outfits, sex jokes and awful combat I can't say it was jokey bad it was just... damn. The only reason I completed it? Because I was stupid enough to buy and not rent the game.

It almost put off JRPG'S forever
Glad it didn't, Tales of Graces f is brill.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Digimon 4

Fuck that fucking thing why did I play it all the way through.

It's fun in a really broken way. Super actiony hack and slash with RPG elements.
Sounds fun right?
You have no grace period after being hit. None. You can be killed by anything.
Hope you're not holding out on evolving any point soon. I beat the whole game one time through and didn't even get to my second form.
Die in a dungeon, even at a boss? Back to the home base with you. Hack your way in again. We know you enjoyed it the first 5 times.
There's naught I can say to express how fucking frustrating this game is, you just have to play it to understand.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Sonic '06 definitely. And this isn't just a complete the story, this is full completion, collectables, achievements, the whole shebang.

That was not fun.

Marc Wyzomirski

Jun 20, 2013
The first game that comes to mind is Final Fight Streetwise. I will defend the game in one aspect, that the basic gameplay engine was pretty well done and felt really smooth.

However, I cannot defend the god awful story and the later bosses and levels. Things just bottomed out and turned into a cheap snorefest. I was only able to get through it most likely due to my undying love for Final Fight and all things brawler.

It's too bad, because honestly the multiplayer was pretty fun and made for a way better game than the story mode. If they just stuck with something more like the multiplayer in a whole, the thing could have been pretty good. So much disappointment, but perhaps because I can see the underlying potential it had.

Skorm034

Mar 12, 2012
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3.
I loved the first so I felt compelled, less than a 4 hour campaign and I could still barely do it.
I found no enjoyment in the game. At all.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Red Faction: Armageddon.

Towards the end I was just spamming the "Area Stun + Lifesteal" power as I just ran past everything because I was so sick of fighting them.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
What time is it? It's bitchin' time!

Witcher 2. Sluggish controls, dull setting, boring characters (except Iorveth!), messy interface, lousy dialogue, iffy voice acting. Nice implementation of story choices though. And it did look rather pretty.

Completed it because I actually enjoyed the first half and kept hoping against hope that it would somehow improve.

Knights of the Old Republic. Ugly to look at, dull characters, dull dialogue, dull setting, laughable combat, nothing else of note. The absolute nadir was those two sequences where you wear a space/diving suit Twist and walk very, very, veeeeeeery slowly down empty corridors for absolutely no reason. Twist was kinda cool though.

Completed it because I'd been told it was some kind of wonderful gem from "the golden age of Bioware". No gold was forthcoming.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Hmmm Final Fantasy 2 possibly I only completed it because I was determined to finish all the main single player entries in the series and I had a lot of time on my hands but by god its bloody horrendous it makes XII and XIII look like masterpieces (even though I dont hate XIII I just found it ok).

The story is laughable the characters are awful and the combat is borderline broken the whole game is just a mess I mean 1 and 3 werent great but II bloody hell it was a special type of bad although sadly not the worst RPG I have played and certainly not the worst game but quite possibly the worst I have completed apart from maybe some C64 pieces of junk I have erased from my memory.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I don't completely hate it, but I thought Lord of the Rings: The Third Age was a bad game (yet I've completed it multiple times.

The combat auto-scaled really badly, the skillset was so broken there was an ability that meant it was impossible to lose, the end bosses had lots of HP and nothing else. The story was really really weak, dealing with a lot of magic and fiddly practical intricacies that is totally alien to Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings doesn't care how the gate is opened or the wall breached, it cares that new destructive technology is destroying the old places of safety, that the house of the stewards is corrupt and falling into the madness of darkness etc. Not nitpicky 'this guy is actually a traitor. This guy is mindcontrolled' whatever.

And finally the characters were all not-Aragon, not-Gimli etc.

There were good parts, but I wouldn't in anyway classify it a good game and I don't really normally complete bad games

EDIT: Actually from a personal level, it's probably Braid. LotR:TTA was full of problems, but the armour system was nice, it was cool to visit the big places and there was something oddly addictive to it (maybe because they had Ian MacKellan do the voice overs).

In my eyes Braid has exactly one redeeming level in a whole sea of boring uninspired levels. As well as that I never feel like the reason the story didn't make sense of connect in any way was because of a meaningful choice, but because there really wasn't any great meaning to it and he he can disguise that better if he doesn't try to connect it in any sort of cohesive way.

And apart from that one level, the reasons for gameplay mechanics informing narrative were incredibly hollow and forced. He wasn't teaching anything innate from the way we played the game (unlike other better games) it was more 'I#ve got a puzzle level that involves an item that slows down time. Wmmmm.... ring? that's like slowing down time right? Wearing a wedding ring is exactly like an object that you place down in places and slow everyything around. Okay I#ll go with that'

It doesn't mean anything. You could literally do it with any mechanic and any real life event. 'My cat is the closest thing I have to a person round me. Alone at night the fears of forgotten days come snaking out of my bed. I hold the covers round me and shut my eyes, counting the speeding seconds of my racing heart and the passing night. But my cat, my cat is different, when she's near me everything feels safe. Life slows down and I don't have to worry anymore.'

And then you have a level when you pick up and put down a cat that slows time around it. Art!

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Zhukov said:

Knights of the Old Republic. Ugly to look at, dull characters, dull dialogue, dull setting, laughable combat, nothing else of note. The absolute nadir was those two sequences where you wear a space/diving suit Twist and walk very, very, veeeeeeery slowly down empty corridors for absolutely no reason. Twist was kinda cool though.

Completed it because I'd been told it was some kind of wonderful gem from "the golden age of Bioware". No gold was forthcoming.
:eek:

Ya kotor 1 isn't a masterpiece, I liked 2 way more (even without tslrcm). I believe you moved slow because you are underwater, and dear god it takes forever.

I have to say Kung fu panda. I didn't buy it ok relax, it came with my xbox and I thought well, why should it go to waste? And it was bad.

Special mention to Planescape Torment for the combat. Story was amazing though. Also that music.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
*Hides face in shame* Runescape was the single most awful game I have ever completed. Even though I hated the game with a passion, I maxed my character in all skills and then left. The worst part though was they kept making the game worse instead of better while I played it, to the point that I couldn't stand to even look at it while I played and had to play other games at the same time. I just had to finish it because I said I would. Then looking back I had to ask "Why the hell did I waste that much time on something so crappy?!"

Toxic Sniper

Mar 13, 2013
Blacksite: Area 51 is a painfully bad brown and grey FPS with obnoxious squad AI and a bullet-sponge main character. The only thing that really posed a threat were rockets, which did an obscene amount of damage; I remember one part of the game being ridiculously difficult because a guy is shooting rockets from a building and he just doesn't miss. The only way to really get past him is to walk underneath him. Add in a HUGE number of bugs, including game-breaking ones like getting stuck in level geometry, and you really grow to hate the game.

Metroid: Other M has mediocre gameplay and strips all the exploration from the Metroid series. The game also throws sudden gameplay changes that throw up on the pacing. What really makes it awful is the storyline, which is overwrought, in-your-face, and truly destroys the Samus character.

Too Human is just broken. The camera is broken, the combat system is broken and boring, the level design is big and empty and broken, and the "story" is a mess. Truly tragic that this came from Silicon Knights.

piinyouri said:
Digimon 4

Fuck that fucking thing why did I play it all the way through.

It's fun in a really broken way. Super actiony hack and slash with RPG elements.
Sounds fun right?
You have no grace period after being hit. None. You can be killed by anything.
Hope you're not holding out on evolving any point soon. I beat the whole game one time through and didn't even get to my second form.
Die in a dungeon, even at a boss? Back to the home base with you. Hack your way in again. We know you enjoyed it the first 5 times.
There's naught I can say to express how fucking frustrating this game is, you just have to play it to understand.
Oh Jesus, this. I never even finished Digimon World 4, but it's so broken I don't even know if I could finish it. The combat is like if somebody wanted to make a Dark Souls imitator, but had no idea of why Dark Souls combat is good.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Terminator: Salvation (I think it's Salvation). Short, broken, shitty Gears of War clone with 3 enemy types and gunplay that literally feels painful. I was stuck in another state with no ride or internet, and noticed that I'd get 1000 gamerpoints if I beat it on hard, because I cared about shit like that at the time. I don't recommend that anyone play it, even for that reason.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
For some reason I felt the need to stick with Hitman: Absolution to the end.

"Well there was that one level near the beginning which kinda resembled what Hitman's supposed to fucking be about, so it must come back at some point... right?"

No, son. No.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Final Fantasy VII!

No, wait, I actually sorta liked it at the time, so I suppose that doesn't count.

I suppose all things equal, it'd be Rygar on the NES. The game wasn't great, but it's what we had, dag nabbit!
I tend to just stop playing games that are really bad.

Oct 2, 2012
Probably Blacksite: Area 51.
I expected it to be a sequel or at least related to this game that I loved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_51_(2005_video_game)
And I didn't have internet access at the time to research it.

Game was just bad. Generic brown-grey FPS with a silly, barely explained plot, easily spotted betrayals, boring gameplay, a ton of glitches and boring weapons. Some of the Reborn weapons were cool but I didn't find them nearly as useful as the standard issue M4.
I beat it once simply because I waz angry at myself for purchasing it and decided I needed to be punished.

Horrible game, not worth getting picked up in a bargain bin if anyone is tempted by its cheap price.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
...I dunno. Normally when I don't like a game I just stop playing it.

Jeez, I'm actually having to think now... Spore maybe? Though it doesn't really have an end I got to the space stage. Bulletstorm wasn't very good either, but I kept trying to get through it just because of how good everyone was saying it is. Only good thing in that game was the drill gun.

OH SHIT WAIT
I just thought of something. That something is... Assassin's Creed 3. Christ was an abysmal game. Takes a solid formula and story elements and just fuck it up in every regard. Easy, boring, badly acted, dumb, uninteresting... god, just everything.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Tie between Majin: The Forsaken Kingdom and Bayonetta.
Bayonetta was a really awful fucking game. I didn't find the protagonist appealing at all, so every scene that was sexual(every fucking one of them, including the gameplay) made me cringe and feel disgusted.

Majin was much more childish than I thought and the combat really sucked. If you failed to stealth kill everyone you'd have to vail(sp?) at the enemies forever. Don't remember much about the game other than how much I hated playing it.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
DmC

So. So. Soooooo EASY. On frikin hard mode. I think I lost my sanity at one point thinking if the difficulty is high enough then the writing would get better, once the glitches would stop....
Tameem "@#$% you" Just. No. Please.